David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/7/19 7:37 a.m.
feature_image

Each November Simply Clean rolls into Daytona Beach, our hometown. It’s not a competition but a celebration of machines–specifically those that have been slammed, polished and lovingly caressed.

We go to take it in: It’s a chance to soak in new ideas and new enthusiasm.

The date for the next one has been announced: November 23, 2019.

Read the rest of the story

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/7/19 7:42 a.m.

Thank you for celebrating enthusiasm for automotive hobbies rather than bashing people who don't share the same kind as you. Slammed cars will never be good for motorsports, but keeping cool cars alive and looking good is worthy of praise. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Reader Services
8/7/19 8:21 a.m.

These are the kind of car events that I like to point to when people say "the young kids just aren't interested in cars anymore."

aw614
aw614 Reader
8/7/19 10:01 a.m.

I went once back in 2013, for some reason I just didn't enjoy myself even though a ton of my friends at the time had bagged vw's and it was fun taking pictures while I was there since there was a lot of nice stuff. 

I guess I was just bored and annoyed I woke up at 5am and wasted 3 hours driving from Tampa to Daytona. Yet here I am driving 1.5 hrs for autocross due to the loss of Brooksville and enjoying it lol. 

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
8/7/19 10:18 a.m.

I should have never sold my e24.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
8/7/19 10:38 a.m.

I love these kind of events because the owners are usually better detailers than I'll ever be. Plus they usually look cool.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/7/19 10:44 a.m.

That E24 is amazing. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/7/19 10:49 a.m.
pinchvalve said:

Thank you for celebrating enthusiasm for automotive hobbies rather than bashing people who don't share the same kind as you. Slammed cars will never be good for motorsports, but keeping cool cars alive and looking good is worthy of praise. 

Thank you. And, yes, we're all in this together. 

A few years back some friends joined me at Simply Clean. Was it their style? Not exactly. Did we all learn stuff, see cool cars and have fun? Yup. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/7/19 11:55 a.m.

I just registered the Challenge car for a similar event here in Atlanta called Clean Culture. Looks like cars + fun to me!

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
8/7/19 1:03 p.m.

My detailing is blowing dust out of the rally car with a leaf blower. I probably wouldn't fit in well there lol. 

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
8/7/19 1:20 p.m.
z31maniac said:

That E24 is amazing. 

I highly recommend checking them out on Facebook or their Instagram. Lots of amazing cars to oogle. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/7/19 1:23 p.m.

Not my thing, but I appreciate the time and effort they've put into their rides.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/7/19 1:32 p.m.
Jordan Rimpela said:
z31maniac said:

That E24 is amazing. 

I highly recommend checking them out on Facebook or their Instagram. Lots of amazing cars to oogle. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I love clean, slammed cars. I don't care so much for all the crazy camber and 215s stretched on 11" wheels. 

Not quite that slammed, but I'm starting to lean that way with whatever I get next. I realize I'm unlikely to dedicate the time and money necessary for a pure track car (that's still street legal) or a dual-duty car I use for work. So I'll likely just end up with something I like, new Zupra for example, nice wheels, lower it a touch, tune/exhaust and just enjoy it.

But I'll probably have changed my mind by dinner time so...........

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
8/7/19 2:54 p.m.

I love the wheels on the e24. I think they're BBS e50s? It's the real wheel my reps are based upon. 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
8/7/19 3:00 p.m.
buzzboy said:

I love the wheels on the e24. I think they're BBS e50s? It's the real wheel my reps are based upon. 

They may be HRE vintage line wheels, bbs didn’t make e50’s that big I don’t think

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
8/7/19 3:10 p.m.

They look cool but I'm not sure they're all that fun to live with.

Two of our former detailers had cars like that.

One was a Lexus that looked good on the outside but there was a lot of hack work underneath.

The other was an E36 M3 (no really), really clean and nice but so low that things in the suspension and undercarriage were constantly breaking.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
8/7/19 9:17 p.m.

Yep, I am liking a lot about those cars for the same reason I have enjoyed the low rider community for so long. The cars are so clean and beautifully detailed.......it's amazing.  I have an older Mercedes sedan that I would like to do a similar thing with. Not the crazy camber or even the extra low slamming but the general feel and look. Thanks for posting that.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
8/7/19 9:28 p.m.

No, its not Simply Clean.  Its not even 'Kinda Clean'  If I had to describe it, 'Simply Dirty' sounds more accurate.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/10/19 11:51 a.m.

Thanks for sharing this. I told my 15 year old son about the show and he's super exited to attend. Asked if he could bring a friend too. We're in!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/10/19 1:52 p.m.

Simply Clean? Is there another car show somewhere called Simply Looks Like a Homeless Guy Might Be Living in There or Something?

I’d shine at that one. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
8/10/19 4:41 p.m.

My son just described his ultimate truck which I had zero in common with but when he was finished describing it, he told me his friend said  “That sounds like the gayest truck ever!”. I turned and told him “I like anything someone else has a passion for.” and I meant it.

Lifted trucks, lowered trucks, V-Dubs, BMW, Lowriders, Pro Street, Imports. Hell, I lowered Honda minivan with nice wheels will turn my head. I like ALL of it especially when the owners LOVE it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
peH1paaBgRFJ8iTf2qZFV0nHVHN5tef9IFE2MNZvrCu0h9oEIvi8XNOfjc51DENO