1 2 3 4
bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/12/20 11:04 p.m.

I am thinning the herd of dirt bikes. Listed a Honda XR200R that I paid $800.00 for about five years ago. Sold for $800.00 and gone from my yard in less than four hours. About thirty calls  that morning before I deleted the ad. Listed a SuzukiDR650 for $3000.00 yesterday evening and I got a deposit for full ask at 11 AM this morning. He is picking it up tomorrow after work.  I paid $3000.00 a year ago. Tonight I listed a CRF100 for $2000.00. I had fifteen messages in ten minutes and they are still coming in but I am waiting for a guy who is driving an hour tonite to grab it. To be fair they are all in excellent shape and I go through everything I buy but still, its a feeding frenzy out there. The prices are fair market value for this area. Not smoking deals and not greedy high. 

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
7/12/20 11:24 p.m.

I posted the same thing you just did about a month ago. I took advantage and cleared out a bunch of stuff I wasn’t attached to or didn’t need. Now I have a stack of bike money to spend on the worst bike market I’ve ever seen. I think it will crash as soon as Justy stops handing out cheque’s to anybody who asks, and some that don’t.

At least that’s my theory, though people no longer behave predictably, so who knows? 

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
7/12/20 11:30 p.m.

Almost 2 months ago

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/pit-bikes-fb-marketplace-and-coronavirus/172564/page1/

I ended up selling a few more bikes, one I bought on a Sunday and flipped on a Wednesday for a $500 profit, another tool box, a sandblaster, and two quads. Everything sold in minutes for top buck

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
7/12/20 11:31 p.m.

My friend left this weekend to buy a used travel trailer. I hope he gets a good deal.

Thanks to the Kung Flu, everyone has discovered there is an "outdoors" now. Camping this year sucks.

spandak
spandak HalfDork
7/12/20 11:47 p.m.

Going through the other side of this experience right now. I sold my bike at a fair price to a friends friend and now Everything I'm looking at is $1k higher than it was before the shut downs. I don't have a need currently so I'm hoping to wait it out but sheesh it's crazy

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/20 11:53 p.m.

Boats, too. 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/13/20 1:28 a.m.

Even actual toys. I've been making a killing on eBay selling models, slot cars, and die casts.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
7/13/20 5:34 a.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

Even actual toys. I've been making a killing on eBay selling models, slot cars, and die casts.

Ditto

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/13/20 6:00 a.m.

I finally got one of my extra bikes ready for sale. Posted it on FB and sold in less than a day. Got less than I was asking for it, but the buyer was the first one to actually make a deal and had the cash. And I mainly just wanted it gone. Also sold a vintage (almost 20 years old) downhill fork, but that was somewhat unrelated. Just happened upon a FB post in a group at the right time.

The slot car comment reminds me I have a 1/32 set I'd like out of my basement... 

volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter)
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/13/20 6:37 a.m.

Sold off a buncha old computer parts I no longer needed, got a few centi-bux for it all.  And unloaded almost all of the "parts for cars I no longer own" from my garage.  Indeed, it is a seller's market right now for some reason. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/13/20 6:50 a.m.

yeah.. Sellers market indeed... Until permanent job losses hit..  We've seen more furloughs and also lossess in sectors which are quick hire and fire(mostly).  Permanent corporate restructing will hit soon...   

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/13/20 8:25 a.m.

And real estate--at least according to a Realtor I know. 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/13/20 8:28 a.m.

So you're saying go ahead and list all the stuff on my ebay this crap shelf?

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
7/13/20 8:40 a.m.

I have a friend trying to buy a bike for his daughter and it's hell. So yes, if you've ever thought of selling that ran when parked dirt bike in your shed, now is probably the time. 

Tyler H (Forum Supporter)
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/13/20 8:44 a.m.

Kayaks and fishing poles are thin on the ground here.  Thinking about selling my low end kayaks and trading-up, but I may not be able to find new ones to buy.  I have two different project boats and luckily had purchased all the stuff I wanted before the 'Vid was in full swing.  Other than a water pump impeller for an old Johnson outboard that I've been waiting on for 2 weeks.

I knew a guy that had a yard sale the other week and he said everything was gone by 10am.  

Didn't realize the cash economy was going this hard until I read GRM this morning.  Used junk is trading high...time for a yard sale.  

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/13/20 9:08 a.m.

I'm seeing the same. I sold my dad's MG in a day, for a lot more than I would have settled for. I practically couldn't give it away a year ago. His house also sold in a day, again for way more than what I expected it to go for. I need to get moved back into my house and try to sell some stuff on eBay since Javelin says models and toys are selling!

Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter)
Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/13/20 9:26 a.m.

This makes me eager to re-sell the high-mileage Volvo when I'm done with it.

Also, let's not use lightly-racist terms like "Kung Flu" when referring to COVID-19. It's believed to have originated in China, but it's a global problem to deal with and using terminology like that doesn't help a thing.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
7/13/20 9:49 a.m.

I was in the Beta dealer on Friday to get a couple of oil filters (Beta isn't exactly a mainstream brand) and they said they've been very busy.

The trail I most commonly ride, seldom has anyone else on it, now has people on it on a regular basis.................cabin fever is in full swing.

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/13/20 9:53 a.m.
spandak said:

Going through the other side of this experience right now. I sold my bike at a fair price to a friends friend and now Everything I'm looking at is $1k higher than it was before the shut downs. I don't have a need currently so I'm hoping to wait it out but sheesh it's crazy

Wait till next year when things are hopefully back to normal  They are working on vaccines and Europe and China are close to clinical trials.  Once people can fall back into their old grooves, they will unload the toys they are not using.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
7/13/20 10:13 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

And real estate--at least according to a Realtor I know. 

It's crazy around here.  Houses are selling in hours with bidding wars.  My house has gone up something like 65% in the last year.  And yes, I've talked to an agent and am selling it also.  Go a bit out of town and prices are stagnate.  What's not selling though, sports cars.  My 986 S has been on the market for about 2 months with only 1 call.  Oh well.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
7/13/20 10:57 a.m.

I sell "toys" for a living. We're selling surfboards almost faster than we can build them. Skateboards and skateboard parts are hard to find. Skateboards interestingly come from a wood shortage that was known about last year but the skate trucks are impossible to find outside of precision stuff made in the US.

Trent (Generally supportive dude)
Trent (Generally supportive dude) PowerDork
7/13/20 12:25 p.m.
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) said:

Kayaks and fishing poles are thin on the ground here. 

Damn straight they are. The local Dicks is getting 240 Kayaks every wednesday and by friday afternoon they are all gone. Used ones are selling for more money than new.  I almost palmed the sales guy a $20 to entice him to call me when they arrived but... no handshaking, ya know.

MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
7/13/20 12:28 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

Great to know. Time to get rid of some 1:18 scale cars I have no use for anymore.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
7/13/20 12:32 p.m.

Kid wants ping pong table.  Looked and were in stock and then 4 days later all the Dicks stores were out.  I waited 3 weeks and they came back Into stock.  

ping pong tables.  Who knew?

volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter)
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/13/20 12:40 p.m.

I've had a helluva time getting pressure treated wood.  Building a fort for the kids, have been picking through remnants at orange and blue to get stuff that'll work.  Madness. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a2hQKNYBp4MlbuBqAEmVotY4WLd3Bgyzq4tLPUD50cVSOSpLhH0fs6M75TMAppv0