WonkoTheSane HalfDork
July 7, 2016 11:42 p.m.

In the middle of a few big projects (like building a tubing bender to create roll cage for race car!), and a track day took my tires down to cord. While the tires were off, I took the chance to refinish my wheels. It's amazing how satisfying it is to do a simple & cheap job like that once in a while when all the major projects are looming over your head.

Before:

After:

I used VHT engine gold with Duplicolor wheel clear on it after a solid simple green & water bath, followed by a light scuffing.

seyhan3535
seyhan3535 New Reader
July 7, 2016 11:44 p.m.

looks nice.

July 8, 2016 12:05 a.m.

Looks great, like the color!

Likely will not be noticeable with your color choice but I had some yellowing with the Duplicolor wheel clear after a couple months. That was over polished aluminum so it stood out. Just something to watch for. I couldn't really tell on the black parts. Like I said may not be an issue with your color choice.

Just after painting them.

July 8, 2016 6:53 a.m.

Thanks to the blue/gold color combo I think it now needs a copy of Subaru's WRC graphics, but with a rotor instead of the stars:

WonkoTheSane HalfDork
July 8, 2016 7:53 a.m.

Thanks for heads up, Nick.. I've had it on a set of Miata rims for years without much issue, but I'm sure a lot has changed since the 10 years(!) that I did that..

¯_(ツ)_/¯ - I'm not gonna lie, that was totally my inspiration there. I'm just content in my knowledge that I'll never have a ringlands issue :) I do like the idea of the rally graphics with rotors!

nedc New Reader
July 8, 2016 11:57 a.m.

I've had the duplicolor clear turn slightly yellow too...doesn't look good over silver. They make UV resistant clears in spray cans for that very reason I think.

trucke Dork
July 8, 2016 12:12 p.m.

They look less blurry after painting.

David S. Wallens Editorial Director
July 8, 2016 12:14 p.m.

Looks good.

WonkoTheSane HalfDork
July 8, 2016 2:08 p.m.
trucke wrote: They look less blurry after painting.

It also looks less wet

Thanks David!

92dxman SuperDork
July 8, 2016 2:23 p.m.

That color really works with the body color.

dean1484 MegaDork
July 8, 2016 2:45 p.m.

Very nice job but not a fan of the color combo. Maybe it is the photo and it is better in person?

Furious_E HalfDork
July 8, 2016 2:58 p.m.

How timely! Hoping to paint the wheels on my Cherokee within the next week or so.

84FSP Dork
July 8, 2016 8:20 p.m.

Love the color combo. The RX8 got some great paint colors.

WonkoTheSane HalfDork
July 8, 2016 11:35 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Very nice job but not a fan of the color combo. Maybe it is the photo and it is better in person?

Nope, that's pretty accurate.. I mentally had a bit darker of a gold/bronze color, but I couldn't find anything that didn't look like a dirty tan (Duplicolor Bronze) or a really bright, yellowy-gold (Duplicolor gold) that could take any heat/chemicals. Cool thing about Phantom Blue Mica though is that it changes from blue/green to purplish depending on the light, so if you just tilt your head a bit it's a different pairing. I can see how you could not like it, though.. I know my wife isn't a huge fan.

WonkoTheSane HalfDork
July 8, 2016 11:35 p.m.
84FSP wrote: Love the color combo. The RX8 got some great paint colors.

Thanks! Yeah, I agree.. I think this is the best color of their run, but I'm biased... Stormy Blue Mica is an awesome blue as well.

dean1484 MegaDork
July 9, 2016 9:17 a.m.

Ot is not horrible. Just ... I don't know maybe the blue needs to be darker? I would have gone flat black with a dark red pinstrip or a syrip the color of the body.

Oh and please don't go painting the side mirrors to match. I hate that.

But like I said very nice work. Looks factory!!!!

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Classic Motorsports Monterey Welcome Party Welcomes 2000-Plus Gearheads

5 hours ago in Articles

Last night we threw a party, and more than 2000 people came to celebrate.

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

1 day ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Deal of the Month: Free Trackside Companion!

1 day ago in News

Ever wished you had a handy guide on how to dial in your alignment or adjust your dampers?

This Tuesday: Join Us at Track Night in America

1 day ago in News

This Tuesday we'll be running at Palm Beach International Raceway

Experience Monterey With Us

2 days ago in News

We're on our way out to Monterey, California, for car week.

Concours d’Lemons to Ruin Monterey Car Week Yet Again

2 days ago in News

What started as the anti-concours has transformed into a major event on the Monterey Car Week schedule.

Tomorrow, August 15: Join our Monterey Kickoff Cruise-In

2 days ago in News

Our Monterey welcome party is taking over all of downtown Pacific Grove.

Vintage Views: Classic Mini

5 days ago in Articles

Turn heads, have jolly good fun.

You Need This: Toyota With Rally Pedigree

5 days ago in News

Who can say no to a turbocharger and all-wheel drive?

Join Our Monterey Kickoff Cruise-In at Pacific Grove on Tuesday, August 15

5 days ago in News

Our Monterey welcome party is taking over all of downtown Pacific Grove.

You Need This: J. Geils's Maserati Sebring, Some Assembly Required

5 days ago in News

A rock star project will be auctioned off in Monterey next week.

Who Wants a Skip Barber Car?

6 days ago in News

Skip Barber Racing School is selling off Miatas, Mustangs, Porsches and much more.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
r7EK3MawBDDjKaBKgdvLUNIWmsDpVDR3