WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/7/16 11:42 p.m.

In the middle of a few big projects (like building a tubing bender to create roll cage for race car!), and a track day took my tires down to cord. While the tires were off, I took the chance to refinish my wheels. It's amazing how satisfying it is to do a simple & cheap job like that once in a while when all the major projects are looming over your head.

Before:

After:

I used VHT engine gold with Duplicolor wheel clear on it after a solid simple green & water bath, followed by a light scuffing.

seyhan3535
seyhan3535 New Reader
7/7/16 11:44 p.m.

looks nice.

Nick (picaso) Comstock
Nick (picaso) Comstock UltimaDork
7/8/16 12:05 a.m.

Looks great, like the color!

Likely will not be noticeable with your color choice but I had some yellowing with the Duplicolor wheel clear after a couple months. That was over polished aluminum so it stood out. Just something to watch for. I couldn't really tell on the black parts. Like I said may not be an issue with your color choice.

Just after painting them.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
7/8/16 6:53 a.m.

Thanks to the blue/gold color combo I think it now needs a copy of Subaru's WRC graphics, but with a rotor instead of the stars:

WonkoTheSane
7/8/16 7:53 a.m.

Thanks for heads up, Nick.. I've had it on a set of Miata rims for years without much issue, but I'm sure a lot has changed since the 10 years(!) that I did that..

¯_(ツ)_/¯ - I'm not gonna lie, that was totally my inspiration there. I'm just content in my knowledge that I'll never have a ringlands issue :) I do like the idea of the rally graphics with rotors!

nedc
nedc New Reader
7/8/16 11:57 a.m.

I've had the duplicolor clear turn slightly yellow too...doesn't look good over silver. They make UV resistant clears in spray cans for that very reason I think.

trucke
trucke Dork
7/8/16 12:12 p.m.

They look less blurry after painting.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/8/16 12:14 p.m.

Looks good.

WonkoTheSane
7/8/16 2:08 p.m.
trucke wrote: They look less blurry after painting.

It also looks less wet

Thanks David!

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
7/8/16 2:23 p.m.

That color really works with the body color.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/8/16 2:45 p.m.

Very nice job but not a fan of the color combo. Maybe it is the photo and it is better in person?

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/8/16 2:58 p.m.

How timely! Hoping to paint the wheels on my Cherokee within the next week or so.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
7/8/16 8:20 p.m.

Love the color combo. The RX8 got some great paint colors.

WonkoTheSane
7/8/16 11:35 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Very nice job but not a fan of the color combo. Maybe it is the photo and it is better in person?

Nope, that's pretty accurate.. I mentally had a bit darker of a gold/bronze color, but I couldn't find anything that didn't look like a dirty tan (Duplicolor Bronze) or a really bright, yellowy-gold (Duplicolor gold) that could take any heat/chemicals. Cool thing about Phantom Blue Mica though is that it changes from blue/green to purplish depending on the light, so if you just tilt your head a bit it's a different pairing. I can see how you could not like it, though.. I know my wife isn't a huge fan.

WonkoTheSane
7/8/16 11:35 p.m.
84FSP wrote: Love the color combo. The RX8 got some great paint colors.

Thanks! Yeah, I agree.. I think this is the best color of their run, but I'm biased... Stormy Blue Mica is an awesome blue as well.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/16 9:17 a.m.

Ot is not horrible. Just ... I don't know maybe the blue needs to be darker? I would have gone flat black with a dark red pinstrip or a syrip the color of the body.

Oh and please don't go painting the side mirrors to match. I hate that.

But like I said very nice work. Looks factory!!!!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
66IrK1859B1GCiE0XjYV5cfqvQPDBfhVHjTrl9CRsbFd9Q4aa0MxcalvYUA9xfFQ