Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
4/24/17 7:31 a.m.

The oem bridgestones border on hazardous when it's the least bit of moisture in the road even with plenty of tread remaining. This even includes the set on my avalanche, so I know it isn't just a problem with a bad set.

Anyone have any real world experience with the general grabber, falken ziex st05, or nitto 420q? Looking in the size of 275/55r20.....

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
4/24/17 7:53 a.m.

I have a set of Falken Wildpeaks on my Silverado. They are at the wear mark and ready for replacement, but gave me 70,000 trouble free miles.

I'm planning on replacing them with a set of Nitto here in the near future, because they are on sale ($730 for 4 285/70/17 tires installed, balanced, and insured) at Tire Kingdom right now for less than any name brand I can get on Tirerack (considering price, shipping, install).

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
4/24/17 7:58 a.m.

Don't know if they come in your size, but we've had good luck with the Nexen Roadians we put on my wife's Suburban. They had the highest Load Rating of any other tire out there in their size (235/75R15)

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/24/17 7:59 a.m.

Watching this closely as my full size Chevy will need tires soon. Falken Wildpeaks go from $122 at a tire outlet to $246 at Walmart?

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
4/24/17 8:00 a.m.
Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
4/24/17 8:11 a.m.

Don't need all terrains... this is a "soccer mom" Suburban...

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
4/24/17 8:15 a.m.

What are the coldest temps it'll see? And any chance of it being driven in snow?

If it won't get below the high 20s and won't see snow, the General Grabber UHP wouldn't be a bad pick. Not the longest lasting, but they're pretty cheap. They are a little noisy and the sidewalls are a hair soft, but nothing terrible. They're pretty grippy, damn near magical in rain and have a decently meaty tread for a street tire, so you won't have to worry about getting it stuck on wet grass.

TR7
TR7 New Reader
4/24/17 8:34 a.m.

I also have general grabbers HTS on my pickup. These and the altimax have sold me on general for go to affordable tires. I have been really happy with them in every condition you could expect a highway tire to deal with. Not Michelin LTX great, but much much cheaper.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/24/17 8:36 a.m.

I've got the general grabber at2's on my rover and while they are an off road tire- they're awfully quiet and stable. I like them quite a bit. I often have guy drive by me in BFG KO2's and it's no comparison. Other than that, I used to (quite a while back) have good experiences with the kuhmo suv tire.

ValuePack
ValuePack SuperDork
4/24/17 8:53 a.m.

Seconded for AT2s. I have a set on the daily Forester and really like them. Half worn and getting louder, but there isn't diddly for sound deadening in old Subarus. Downright excellent in snow and good wet and dry manners. I'm looking forward to killing off the Yokohamas on the Tundra for another set of Generals.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
4/24/17 9:49 a.m.

Really don't need all terrains. The closest this thing gets to off road is a dirt driveway. Snow in the south? If it snows nobody moves, lol.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
4/24/17 10:01 a.m.
Ranger50 wrote: Really don't need all terrains. The closest this thing gets to off road is a dirt driveway. Snow in the south? If it snows nobody moves, lol.

In that case, it looks like the Grabber UHPs might be a good pick unless you need something that'll last forever and a half. Looks like they're currently listed for $125 / tire on Tire Rack in your size...

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
4/24/17 2:53 p.m.

I have Cooper Discovery HT tires on my Suburban and have been very pleased with them. Quiet and grippy year round.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
4/24/17 3:20 p.m.

Denman Ground Hawgs not good enough? Oh wait, they closed up.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/24/17 3:29 p.m.

Really REALLY like these on my truck. All the benefits of an AT tire but none of the noise. Outstanding wet and snow grip as well. Recommended by my tire guy as better than the Generals. (They sell both)

Terra Track II

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
4/26/17 11:23 a.m.

After it would take too many days to get the tires she wanted but I'm paying for, I ended up with Goodyear eagle ls2's.

Also since it keeps wearing out the inner edge on the drivers front tire I was going to have it aligned (again), but instead I have to put in 2 lower ball joints before that can happen.

sigh the joy of owning vehicles and then fixing them. Good thing I have my snap on ball joint press here at the house....

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
4/26/17 7:09 p.m.

Bridgestone Dueller Revo2. We have them on the Sequoia tow rig, we have them on the 4Runner (other tow rig), and about 4 friends have them on their SUV/pickup tow rigs. Great ride, great response, great in mud, outstanding in snow/slush, and they're quiet to boot. Even my wife likes them.

Also they are available on Tire Rack in the size you want for under $200 each.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/26/17 9:21 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Really REALLY like these on my truck. All the benefits of an AT tire but none of the noise. Outstanding wet and snow grip as well. Recommended by my tire guy as better than the Generals. (They sell both) Terra Track II

those look pretty sweet.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CMkAFnPiLy6S9kKemA2t2mtLjhPXuKohZeeL8gaBNA3kTG8A3pA78ywATt5jtap9