1 ... 3 4 5
pinchvalve
pinchvalve UltimaDork
9/9/13 8:58 a.m.

Wow, I leave closest to an Advance and it has always been my default. Can't say that they are "car guys" but way better than Pep Boys and nothing has ever crapped out on me.

Armitage
Armitage Reader
9/9/13 11:46 a.m.

I just want to add that this weekend I found out the heater core I bought at Advance and installed less than 30k ago is now leaking all down my carpet. I have no desire whatsoever to rip apart the dash and fix this again. Due to the rust I've recently found, this is the straw that broke the camel's back. After 13 years I'm throwing in the towel on the car. Thanks a lot, E36 M3ty quality parts store parts.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
9/9/13 11:51 a.m.

Been there. I put 5 cores in the 9C1 in less than 7 years. Got so good at it, that I could have one out and in, in less than an hour.

Armitage
Armitage Reader
9/9/13 11:57 a.m.

^^ This pic from My Garage shows what was required the last time I did it. The heater core is dead center behind the HVAC controls and you have to be a contortionist to get to all the bolts back there with the dash still installed. Took it down to the carpet to clean all the coolant out :|

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltraDork
9/9/13 5:06 p.m.

I think failed heater cores have put more MkIII Volkswagens into the junkyard than any other failed part.

Sorry about your alternator, SF1. I eventually went with an FD alternator with a modified pulley on it that bought from the dealer in my FC RX-7 for similar reasons.

1 ... 3 4 5
Our Preferred Partners
EOc6LeA0JE7TbBipOYKmGx5YyI1faJ2QiPco6P5eW8i82JdIw2U2tui7RZr0c5NR