1 2 3
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/19 7:15 a.m.

The good side of this is the other usual reason these go in to limp mode is the auto trans gets screwed up. Since yours is a manual at least that is not the issue. 

dean1484
2/9/19 7:18 a.m.

You need to pull the codes. My guess is it will be the rheostat in the throttle peddle (where it normally goes bad) or at the tps on the motor. The tps on the motor is less likely to go bad than the peddle but still a very good possibility.   I had the exact problem with my x type. It was always the peddle. 

Found my spare. Looks like this. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/19 8:05 a.m.

I had a Honda Pilot do this but it set CEL for cat efficiency at the same time.  It was a plugged cat.  Would not rev past 2k regardless of load.

some people have had cat issues on that duratec v6 as well.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
2/9/19 8:07 a.m.

Pulled battery.  Out of limp mode.  Heading home.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
2/9/19 8:32 a.m.

Hooray!  keep us posted, my offer still stands if you need any parts.

untchabl
untchabl Reader
2/9/19 10:08 a.m.

Keep us posted, hopefully you make it home without anymore issues.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/9/19 10:12 a.m.

FWIW, I'm still jealous. Hope you make it home smoothly!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/9/19 10:33 a.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

Pulled battery.  Out of limp mode.  Heading home.

You wrote the above at about 9am. Looks like you have 8 Hours ahead of you so should be home about 5pm.  That's good since you're then off the road before dark. Please check back in. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
2/9/19 11:19 a.m.

After 20 miles car went back into limp mode which limits my speed to 70 mph.  But it “cured” itself in another 10 miles.  Then it did it again at about the one hour mark.  And again cured itself after a bit.  Then 150 miles with a CEL but out of limp mode.  Cruise control still isn’t entirely happy so there is something wrong somewhere but i’ve Been motoring along at around 80 all morning.  Getting a touch over 24 mph.  

Just stopped for fuel and food just south of Asheville NC.  Thanks everyone!

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
2/9/19 11:30 a.m.

Oops. Spoke too soon

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/9/19 11:43 a.m.

Hang in there!  At least you're not limited to 35MPH.....

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/9/19 11:44 a.m.

But it's a luxurious 70 mph devil

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
2/9/19 11:50 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Seriously!  This drivers seat is awesome!!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
2/9/19 12:25 p.m.
Ransom said:

FWIW, I'm still jealous. Hope you make it home smoothly!

All of us wanted to buy that Jag and all of us are feeling your pain. We would all be swearing at the electronics and hating and loving the car at the same time.  

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/9/19 12:29 p.m.

If your biggest problem on the trip is that it won’t go over 70 then you’re doing pretty well. I’ve had some super sketchy long drives before that make your current trip seem like the lap of luxury. 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/9/19 12:36 p.m.

As someone whose wife saw me looking at that jag and now wants one.....I'll be watching this closely.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
2/9/19 12:45 p.m.

Subaru disables cruise control any time you have a CEL.  Maybe Jaguar is also doing that?

dean1484
2/9/19 1:04 p.m.

Jaguar ownership will either improve a marriage or it will kill a marriage. 

dean1484
2/9/19 1:06 p.m.

X types are really not that bad a car to work on or diagnose etc. No worse than any other Ford or Volvo of the same time period. 

They are a tremendous value because people are scared of them. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
2/9/19 3:53 p.m.

Home again home again jiggety jog.

limp mode went away at the TN/NC line and I didn’t stop since lunch.

The car actually did really well considering.  There are a few little things to take care of but overall I’m pleased.

(Just for sympathy points, i’ve Had a nasty cold this whole time.  Sneezing, watery eyes, runny nose, general fatigue.  Just the ingredients for an enjoyable road trip cheeky

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
2/9/19 3:56 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

First world problemswink, glad you made it!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/9/19 4:11 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

You may not have felt good but you looked good in that Jag! 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/9/19 4:15 p.m.

You're just going to have to accept that Tom Cruise is not available.

Glad you made it home safe!

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
2/9/19 4:16 p.m.
dculberson said:

If your biggest problem on the trip is that it won’t go over 70 then you’re doing pretty well. I’ve had some super sketchy long drives before that make your current trip seem like the lap of luxury. 

Absolutely agree sir, my complaints are all clearly the epitome of first world problems.  Here’s a silly one:  when I disconnected the battery this morning it reset the HVAC and outside temps to metric and I couldn’t figure out how to reset them until I was almost home.  Apparently I’m comfortable at 23 degrees, who knew? cool

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/19 4:26 p.m.

The car will tell you what's wrong. Read the codes and get the actual numbers, not just the generic definition. It's often one problem that causes a bunch of cascading failures. My BMW loves to pull that trick.

Could be worse. The limp home mode for an LS is idle and a completely disconnected throttle pedal. That would have been a much longer drive home.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oJoqiI3hTpk0eskac1fZSNSM8FBeyofNYkeiBGoVs53Wi2sG3fbeMN2VtmOXAnhu