96DXCivic
96DXCivic SuperDork
10/19/10 1:31 p.m.

So along the lines of my earlier post on V8 Jags, what are the problem areas of the Jaguar XJ6? I found a pretty good list of what to look for here but does anyone else have ideas.

http://www.johnscars.com/xj/xjbuyersguide.html

If you going to do a V8 conversion and use the car as a daily driver, would you use a Series I, II or III? I really like the coupe but is there anything special about that car that is different from the sedan to worry about.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic SuperDork
10/19/10 1:37 p.m.

Also since I will probably be looking for a non-running one, are there any areas (other then rust) which should scare me off?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
10/19/10 2:04 p.m.

Uh, "they say" that the motor (original 6 or 12) is the reliable part of those cars.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
10/19/10 2:21 p.m.

It's a long way from Franklin, but my friend bought two when he needed a rear for his Cobra kit car. Probably cheap, probably not 100%.

Dan

96DXCivic
96DXCivic SuperDork
10/19/10 2:24 p.m.

Probably an even longer way from Huntsville. Anyway this is just an idea at this point. Although one I would like to pursue, if it is feasible, beginning next summer.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
10/19/10 3:05 p.m.

I'd probably get the later Series III. More modern updates to the car and probably in better condition. I'm not aware of any major differences in them beyond cosmetics and more modern features like ABS and A/C etc.

I've been thinking of the same project for the last year. Taking a nice XJ6 and dropping in a more modern, fun and efficient power plant. The most obvious option is some kind of LTx or LSx motor and a T56. Although a BMW powered option might work also. So might something out of a 350Z or Infinity.

The front suspension on the car is pretty straight forward dual control arms. The rear is complex with lots of rubber bushings to provide the smooth ride the Jags are known for. They make poly bushing kits for those but the brakes are still in-board. If I read the suspension diagram correctly there are TWO shocks on EACH side of the rear suspension! I wonder if a rear subframe swap would work. Maybe something out of a BMW, RX8, Mustang etc

Konis and Bilsteins are readily available. Performance springs and sway bars seem rather expensive - probably due to lack of much demand.

The main issues that I've read about from my limited research appear to be electrical thanks to the Lucas electronics so switches and alternators and such can be problematic. Interior repairs can be expensive as well if you are looking to keep the original style interior.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic SuperDork
10/19/10 3:25 p.m.

For the interior I was thinking of replacing the front seats with something a little more sporty. And maybe doing something about all the wood depending on the shape of that trim. I am not so sure about the four rear shocks thing though.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/19/10 3:30 p.m.

a big cat has always been on my bucketlist.. I would want a pre 95 one to avoid OBDII so I could have a little fun and still keep it legal.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 New Reader
2/14/11 11:05 p.m.

Has anyone been working on an XJ6 V8 swap recently? My 1st two cars were Series III Jaguars, which I restored with my father about 8 years ago. I really loved them and have thought about getting another one someday. IMHO, there's not much better when it comes to luxury sedans (if you can get over the reliability issues.

If you're still looking for advice about them, I'd stick with a Series III car which was the last of a long dynasty of very similar sedans and the closest Jaguar came to making something reliable. They had been using a lot of the same parts (including most of the drivetrain) since the 40's or 50's and had figured out how to make most of them work well. The wiring and electronics are a nightmare, but the good news is almost everything on the car is made to be rebuilt, if you have the time to do it. But, I'd pick up a parts car - it'll save you thousands in parts, and usually you can re-sell it for the same thing you paid even after taking what you need.

There are some good kits available for all kinds of chevy swaps and you could purchase or replicate one if you wanted to go that route. The stock engine is really heavy and a little primitive so you'll improve most everything with a swap, although you'll loose that nice purr of the big straight six.

Jamesc2123
Jamesc2123 Reader
2/15/11 1:00 a.m.

ooo, my friend and I got one for free this winter! '92 i think. We took off the mufflers and hooned in the snow.

The 6 cyl in it felt phenomenal, lots of torque and the power built up nice and smooth as you wound it out. Wallowed like a boat even with bilsteins. Very little in the interior actually worked.

In other words: I think there's lots of fun to be had with these, but i bet you're better off spending your v8 money on bigass swaybars and flat black paint

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 New Reader
2/15/11 1:28 a.m.

Ha ha, sounds about right. Yeah, definitely a boat; I think the ones I had weighed in at well over 4,000 lbs.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OyLLlIvVUw5DDQGcLftxiPetxgJ1uedvAazymP57SEjJ6lxOQlO2h9VbYU2V8nF7