1 2
famous
famous New Reader
2/26/09 4:23 p.m.

I have been looking at project cars recently, and an oportunity to "take-on" a '86 XJ-6 has presented itself. I know very little about these cars, other than I have always loved the way they look, and that Jaguar has a rich racing history. One thing I have seen is the availability of kits to swap a V-8 in place of the classic in-line 6. But, I haven't seen much in the way of suspension/brake upgrades while searching the web.

Are there good sources for replacement and/or upgrade parts for 20 plus year old Jags? The owners of these cars seem very dedicated, which usually means a fairly healthy support network - I find that oddly encouraging.

Thanks

Mark

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel New Reader
2/26/09 4:54 p.m.

You might want to check out TheDrivenMan.com. And if your magazine store stocks Jaguar World Monthly (from the UK), you'll be overwhelmed with information very quickly, from both text and ads. (Their editorial consensus seems to be, upgrade the steering rack bushings to polyurethane by all means, but replace other suspension stuff with OE to keep that magic Jaguar ride. People who sell bushings sometimes have a different view. YMMV.)

Rustfinger
Rustfinger New Reader
2/26/09 5:52 p.m.

Don't know that much about Jag's, but this one showed up at an event last year...Uber rare two door, and just so freakin' hot. Never saw a 2 door XJ before this one. This car is high on my list for what I'd buy for a DD with a lottery win.

It did fairly well on the course too.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/26/09 7:01 p.m.
Rustfinger wrote: Don't know that much about Jag's, but this one showed up at an event last year...Uber rare two door, and just so freakin' hot. Never saw a 2 door XJ before this one. This car is high on my list for what I'd buy for a DD with a lottery win. It did fairly well on the course too.

Don't tell anyone, but we recently did a full profile on that very car in Classic Motorsports.

Rustfinger
Rustfinger New Reader
2/26/09 7:13 p.m.

Very cool! I knew this car was something special the moment I saw it. Everyone there that day was oogling it. Beautiful and badass all rolled up in one.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/26/09 7:17 p.m.

I think that's an XJ-C.

Rustfinger
Rustfinger New Reader
2/26/09 7:27 p.m.

Yep, When I talked to Dean that day (drives a Black XJ-S), he said it was an XJ-C. I never knew they were made They both ran in D-Mod with me that day too...

This car makes me drool. Me. Want. Bad.

cwh
cwh Dork
2/26/09 7:40 p.m.

Add LSx goodness, ride off into the sunset. Quickly.

famous
famous New Reader
2/26/09 9:11 p.m.

Very cool car - makes the four door I am thinking about look almost too practical.

Stealthtercel - Thank you for the link and mag reference. I'll check out my local bookstore tomorrow.

Dave - Thanks for the heads up on the upcoming article. I have picked up Classic Motorsports at the news stand several times, and always enjoyed it. I'll admit that I'm curious about how heavily modified that XJ-C is.

If I buy a "classic", it might be time to subscribe. Of course, that would bring me to five automotive magazine I read on a regular basis - naw, I don't have a problem! Just an understanding wife.

Mark

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
2/26/09 9:21 p.m.

I didn't know how rare they are here, these were less rare downunder, although still far from common.

I have driven a few sbc Jags, they are alright but honestly if the 6 cylinder works keep it, I raced a few E types and damn they were quick

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/26/09 9:24 p.m.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XJ6C-XJ-Series-2-dr-Coupe-Automatic-big-6-cyl_W0QQitemZ390033370328QQihZ026QQcategoryZ6278QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

gamby
gamby SuperDork
2/26/09 11:32 p.m.
Woody wrote: I think that's an XJ-C.

I've never heard of an XJ-C, but I certainly like it. The newschool XK wheels look amazing on it. Someting to be said for matching DNA.

I'm bummed I missed that issue of CM.

2002maniac
2002maniac New Reader
2/27/09 2:04 a.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoxEis_Y7F0

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 HalfDork
2/27/09 6:14 a.m.

6.2 litre inline 6?

Is that a typo? That's RIDICULOUS.

cwh
cwh Dork
2/27/09 8:23 a.m.

If I remember correctly, that is a 4.2 inline 6. They also siad in the description that it was a V-6. Gee, a car salesman made a mistake, go figure.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
2/27/09 9:16 a.m.

The XJ-C came in both 6 cyl and V12 form. it's always been my persona favorite Jaguar, and I will own one someday (I've had a pair of XJ6s. Both '86s, in fact).

the XJ6-C and XJ12-C were only made from '75-77, and thus only came in Series II bodywork. While it might be cool to retrofit them to Series I form, my favorite XJ-C was an XJ12C converted to the later Series III bodywork. I absolutely LOVE this car and woudl duplicate it (since it no longer exists, as far as I know):

http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/2782443a.jpg

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
2/27/09 9:18 a.m.

I really like XJ coupes. I'll take mine in blue metallic, biscuit interior, 5 speed conversion, 4.2 6 banger (for that classic Jag snarl) please.

midknight
midknight Reader
2/27/09 9:40 a.m.

These are beautiful cars. Drove a couple when I worked at a restoration shop back in the late 80s. Smooth and sexy. Rare here, and getting rare even in England. There is a link somewhere to someone who did a buildup by putting the drivetrain and interior in one from a supercharged late model jag that had been crashed. Anybody have that link? Gorgeous.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
2/27/09 9:59 a.m.

I think they're cool as well. Really beautiful.

Brits I used to work with loved them as well. Never would any brit I know be caught owning a britiish car here in america. They'd always tell me something about electrical fires and run off..

Typical british guy at work "ohh a jag.. So lovely.. Best to carry one of these in the boot" and he'd point at something like the below.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
2/27/09 10:20 a.m.

About the '6.2' typo: there used to be a German company which built road going 7 liter Jag V12's. Jaguar built a 7 liter for the XJ13 too.

problemaddict
problemaddict Reader
2/28/09 4:43 p.m.

Looks mean in flat black

Running @ Lemons -right now-

92dxman
92dxman Reader
2/28/09 6:34 p.m.

Here is a 76 XJ6C for $2k: http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/1053066244.html

grpb
grpb New Reader
2/28/09 7:35 p.m.

Mark I would recommend going to the library and looking at a Chilton's manual for an XJ6. In particular, the rear suspension, HVAC and twin tank fuel system. If you want something like an M5 level of performance, fast, comfortable, capable, quiet, then I would plan on spending on the order of what an older E39 M5 would cost, for hardware, plus of course the labor required to get it all in and working properly. Obviously if you don't need quiet (squeaks, rattles, banging), or capable (trackday, drag strip or autocross with no mechanical consequences), or fast (stock small block V8 with maybe 300-350lb-ft), then the expenditure goes down. It all depends on what you want it to do.

I had a series III XJ6, did the mild stuff, some interior work, suspension, etc. I had a stout Dart headed 406ci small block ready to go in it, but I decided not to pull the trigger and sold the car, primarily because of the effort required once the engine was in to get everything else up to snuff. Not that building a proper set of headers for it would have been easy, but in particular, the rear suspension and the lack of off the shelf hardware to beef it up, particularly because in that system all torque both drive and braking, is taken by the I-shaped lower control arm, the same as an E-type. But E-types don't weigh 4000 lbs, and very few make no less than 450 lb-ft from barely above idle. I have the machinery and tools to make the things required to remedy the situation, and other people have done it, but for that amount of effort, it's really a labor of love.

Bottom line, if you don't mind a loud, rattly, poorly air conditioned british saloon hot rod, then yes, an XJ6 makes an excellent platform. But if you want something that ends up like a real car, a normal car except with huge torque, capable suspension and the (arguably) best looking curvy/modern sedan body style of all time, the be prepared to spend resources on an appropriate scale. Here's mine when I sold it:

Luke
Luke Dork
2/28/09 7:53 p.m.

^^^Gorgeous car.

What are they like to drive as standard? There's an '82 4.2 XJ6 with factory 5-speed manual going for cheap in my area, and this thread has sparked my interest.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
2/28/09 11:37 p.m.
2002maniac wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoxEis_Y7F0

What year is this from??? The production values look VERY different from the TG of present.

Also--a 911TT and a 360 Modena running the 1/4 in slower than 13.0 sec??? WTF???

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OukqNcMloqzTsAvKDz253UBB5obfxKQJBmpQOS3mS4TbYwcvngYbRbEhd2mdcHxP