stroker UltraDork
1/13/19 3:04 p.m.

Curious.  I searched and got no hits.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
1/13/19 4:08 p.m.
stroker said:

Curious.  I searched and got no hits.

Are you referring to the Mazda 929 engine? 

All I know is that if you're looking for a 3.0 V6 from that era for a car, just go get a VQ30DE/DE-K and call it a day

stroker
stroker UltraDork
1/13/19 8:09 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

Sounds like the most likely donor would be a i30--will that bolt to a longitudinal transmission in a 929 from a tranverse?

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
1/13/19 9:40 p.m.
stroker said:

In reply to irish44j :

Sounds like the most likely donor would be a i30--will that bolt to a longitudinal transmission in a 929 from a tranverse?

oh, didn't realize you were putting it IN to a 929. figured you just were thinking about using a 929 engine in something else - in which case I was suggesting a VQ-series engine  (VQ30, VQ35) as a better alternative, both of which could be had in RWD configuration in Z cars and Infiniti G's.

As to putting an engine in the 929, no idea how difficult it would be to mate the transmission with a VQ-series engine. Sorry for the confusion.

(side note, VQ30s are indeed in the i30, but they're also in 1990s-2000s Maximas, which are plentiful in junkyards). VQ35 in RWD configuration you can find in G35's, which are starting to show up in pick-and-pulls at this point. 

daeman
daeman Dork
1/14/19 5:55 a.m.

I don't t know much, but I know if anyone comes across a rwd manual bell housing for one, I need it!

The mpv had them in the first gen, but I think it was the sohc as opposed to the dohc. 

I'd like to get my hands on a je so I can compare pistons and rods to the Fe 4cyl... They have the same 89mm bore and stroke.... I feel like making a budget je turbo could be fairly doable.

Edit: what specifically are you wanting to know about the je's?

stroker
stroker UltraDork
1/14/19 7:56 a.m.

Oh, this is just idle noodling.  Found a 929 for sale with a bad engine and was thinking of replacement engine upgrades or background info on the original engine.  Probably not a good candidate given the other options out there...

NickD
NickD UberDork
1/14/19 8:44 a.m.

What year 929? Because the earlier ones were available oversees as a Mazda Luce with 13B Turbo power and a manual trans

stroker
stroker UltraDork
1/14/19 3:24 p.m.
NickD said:

What year 929? Because the earlier ones were available oversees as a Mazda Luce with 13B Turbo power and a manual trans

daeman
daeman Dork
1/14/19 3:46 p.m.

In reply to stroker :

Depends on what your plans are for it. The hd 929s are a nice luxo barge, but 200hp and a 90's auto in a fairly heavy package is going to be fairly underwhelming for anything other than cruising.

They're an iron block, and by all accounts a very sturdy build, quite similar to the Fe/f2 engines. As I mentioned above, there's a reasonable chance that they share the same pistons, so a boosted je could be quite possible.

Do you know what's wrong with the engine in it?

daeman
daeman Dork
1/14/19 3:48 p.m.

In reply to stroker :

Boxy square body shape or curvy? Boxy is hc, curvy is hd.

stroker
stroker UltraDork
1/14/19 5:57 p.m.

In reply to daeman :

I'd call it boxy.  Owner claims it's a knock.  It's really nothing, the car is 10 hours from me and I'm pretty certain there's no way for me to get it home.  Just seemed like a potentially good deal.

daeman
daeman Dork
1/14/19 7:17 p.m.

In reply to stroker :

That would be the last of the HC series, does it definitely have the twin cam heads? (Quad cam engine) or does it have the single cam heads?  Most of the hc's I've seen have the single cam heads, which means the rwd Mazda mpv v6 would be a straight swap. If twin cam, you'd be best off hitting up the Japanese engine importers, I don't think there be to many domestically available twin cams 

Sohc je 

Dohc

stroker
stroker UltraDork
1/14/19 10:41 p.m.

He says it's the S model with the 3.0 liter engine.  That's all I know.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
12/28/23 12:54 p.m.

To revive a long dead thread...

Just found a clean HC with no engine. Research brought me here. Haven't found a source for a running engine... but having bad swap thoughts!!!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JD0Q7lIPLkfr4Ep9s2gwLg9IcqtSYV2MT9PFgqNpBLPLIV5nrUC0VRRen3E9xiEZ