1 2
Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
1/14/13 5:40 p.m.
ZOO wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: I'm hoping that will end up in a half-ton pickup too. Excellent.
I think I'd like it in a Grand Caravan . . .

I would definitely buy a brand new minivan with diesel if it got 30+ highway

RoadRaceDart
RoadRaceDart Reader
1/14/13 5:44 p.m.

Of course it probably won't be available in Kalifornia.....

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
1/14/13 5:52 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Why aren't we talking about the best news ever from NAIAS!??!? The new Jeep GC will have a 3.0L Turbo Diesel available.

Cuz if I did, I'd have lost my job.
I really likes that engine by the way.

Raze
Raze SuperDork
1/14/13 7:16 p.m.

Forget a Grand Cherokee, how long before they get optioned into a Wrangler? I would literally sell my truck tomorrow and get another Wrangler if it got 30MPG, had a tow rating like the Cherokee and could take it's top off, with 4x4...

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
1/14/13 7:24 p.m.

Yeah its a fat loaded top heavy pig but make mine the SRT8 version. How can you not love this.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
1/14/13 8:58 p.m.

Those SRT8 Cherokee's are DAMN impressive.

There was one at One Lap of America this year at Hallett (of course had one of the chassis engineers as the driver I think)

But with the interior gutted, Mopar springs, and 305 wide Pirelli's it was putting up some really, REALLY impressive times around Hallett.

bluesideup
bluesideup Reader
1/14/13 9:28 p.m.

I wonder what the price differential will be between the diesel and the V6. More importantly what kind of mileage will the V6 get with the new 8 speed automatic. With the old transmission the V6 felt like a dog.

PHeller
PHeller UltraDork
1/15/13 8:13 a.m.

First its the GC, then it will get into the Wrangler, and it will finally give Wrangler the MPG it deserves.

Diesel Wranglers in Europe get 35-40mpg highway!

miatame
miatame HalfDork
1/15/13 8:32 a.m.

I'm very excited about it. They did annouce it would only be available with Limited and up models, so not on the base Laredo WTF not? That is dumb.

Anyway, I'm a little surprised the tow rating is the same as the Hemi. 7,400 isn't bad at all, but I'd think that extra 30 ft*lbs would get you a little something, but with everything else being equal it isn't a shock.. No big deal. Lower than my Tahoe but most SUVs are.

I need to run some numbers and see if the extra cost of diesel will offset the extra mpg over the 15mpg but 87 octane of the Tahoe.

miatame
miatame HalfDork
1/15/13 8:33 a.m.
Raze wrote: Forget a Grand Cherokee, how long before they get optioned into a Wrangler? I would literally sell my truck tomorrow and get another Wrangler if it got 30MPG, had a tow rating like the Cherokee and could take it's top off, with 4x4...

It makes me SO mad they haven't put the V8 in yet...they better put this 3.0L in!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
1/15/13 8:41 a.m.
PHeller wrote: First its the GC, then it will get into the Wrangler, and it will finally give Wrangler the MPG it deserves. Diesel Wranglers in Europe get 35-40mpg highway!

Euro gallon is bigger than the US gallon.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
1/25/13 4:54 p.m.
miatame wrote: I'm very excited about it. They did annouce it would only be available with Limited and up models, so not on the base Laredo WTF not? That is dumb. Anyway, I'm a little surprised the tow rating is the same as the Hemi. 7,400 isn't bad at all, but I'd think that extra 30 ft*lbs would get you a little something, but with everything else being equal it isn't a shock.. No big deal. Lower than my Tahoe but most SUVs are. I need to run some numbers and see if the extra cost of diesel will offset the extra mpg over the 15mpg but 87 octane of the Tahoe.

I think the tow rating is based on the transmission. The diesel and the Hemi get the big daddy. The V6 gets the little(r) guy.

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
1/25/13 5:55 p.m.
PHeller wrote: First its the GC, then it will get into the Wrangler, and it will finally give Wrangler the MPG it deserves. Diesel Wranglers in Europe get 35-40mpg highway!

Don't hold your breath for the diesel J/K in North America anytime soon... Same goes for those who want the pickup version.

Production can't keep up with demand as it is. Unfortunately, that means that alot of really cool options that exist for that platform, will never be available.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
1/25/13 7:35 p.m.

Prices slipped out today. Diesel is a $4,500 option, but it doesn't say on what trim levels.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ygS1c5kCo9rbhJnhbHaxF22EELd2wY1Szhac7JPu8AatDs2wGgagrIMpJkzf3M6m