1 2
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
7/22/16 7:09 a.m.

I was a lot more excited about this one:

When its' big enough not to be a Wrangler any more, why keep the lame Wrangler styling?

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/22/16 11:28 a.m.

I've gotta say, I'm rather underwhelmed and this was one of the very few upcoming new cars that had my interest.

It's just way too big and gawky looking, especially the bed/huge rear overhang, and several feet too long. I'm hoping the bed is just a Ram piece used for prototyping purposes (certainly looks like one) because that is truly ass-ugly.

I think the fundamental issue, though, is you can't have crew cab and a functional sized bed in a package small enough to work as a Wrangler, you have to pick 2/3. Give me something no bigger than JKU-sized with the option of either single cab/functional bed or crew cab/tiny bed, at least 5k (preferably 6-6.5k) of towing, and a manual gearbox and you might get my money. Bonus points if I can get a diesel with 300+ lb-ft and at least close to 30 mpgs.

I'll bet they sell a million of these anyways.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
7/22/16 11:39 a.m.
RealMiniParker wrote:
Chadeux wrote: I'm assuming a regular cab won't be on the menu.
Earlier concept looks like an extra-cab.

This is the one that will make me trade in the elky.

Chadeux
Chadeux Reader
7/22/16 12:33 p.m.
Furious_E wrote: I think the fundamental issue, though, is you can't have crew cab and a functional sized bed in a package small enough to work as a Wrangler, you have to pick 2/3.

There's a way to get all 3. There's probably rules against the solution though.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
7/22/16 1:41 p.m.
a Wrangler pickup that also sucks at Wrangler things because they stretched the wheelbase and body about 3 feet to give it a backseat.

You could say the same thing about going from 2dr TJ to a 4dr JK and yet it has worked tremendously well and that's where MOST of their sales are now.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
7/22/16 2:51 p.m.

IS the wheelbase longer than the standard 4dr? I thought they were using the same chassis? Bot, if it's an even LONGER chassis, that's really going to be a pig. Or an eel, given the length.

I doubt you'll ever see more than about 3500lbs towing from the wrangler line. narrow, low power, off road suspension - just not going to post decent tow figures and keep the lawyers happy.

Furious_E
7/22/16 3:00 p.m.
Chadeux wrote:
Furious_E wrote: I think the fundamental issue, though, is you can't have crew cab and a functional sized bed in a package small enough to work as a Wrangler, you have to pick 2/3.
There's a way to get all 3. There's probably rules against the solution though.

That's that concept they did a year or two ago, right? That thing is AWESOME and I would be all over it if it ever hit production. Which I'm sure it never will, because I can't see a cabover ever passing modern frontal impact tests.

Furious_E
7/22/16 3:07 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: I doubt you'll ever see more than about 3500lbs towing from the wrangler line. narrow, low power, off road suspension - just not going to post decent tow figures and keep the lawyers happy.

The Tacoma does it, although granted only the regular cab has a shorter wheelbase than a current Wrangler Unlimited and it's an inch wider. That's the most direct competition though, so they've got to at least match numbers with the Toyota.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
7/22/16 6:55 p.m.

I want a 6' bed and a rear seat comfortable enough for an adult, but I don't necessarily need 4-doors.

I'd be more in favor a Jeep Wrangler SUV ala the CJ-8 or Safari, but as I understand it the Safari concept wasn't any longer inside than the 4-door Wrangler.

I just want a Jeep I can sleep inside and carry 4 people.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
7/23/16 10:18 p.m.
I want a 6' bed and a rear seat comfortable enough for an adult, but I don't necessarily need 4-doors.

It kind of sounds like you do. Maybe you mean you don't need 4 FULL-size doors. Literally noone is going to manufacture a truck that has back seats big enough for an adult that doesnt also have rear doors leading to those seats.

UNRELATED- I wish Honda had made an Element pickup.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
7/24/16 11:13 a.m.

I'm not sure it was super comfortable, but the 2-Door Wrangler had a ok back seat.

Ok...maybe I need 4-doors.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
7/31/16 12:23 a.m.

I just saw a "JK-8" sitting out front the local Jeep dealership. Apparently what a number of people on here desire in a "Wrangler Pickup", a la the Scrambler, was already available in a Mopar conversion kit.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
7/31/16 10:21 a.m.

I think it looks cooler than it costs or works, if you know what i mean. That will probably still be true when the 'real' one comes out, but hopefully it will be just enough more practical that people actually buy it.

xFactor
xFactor Reader
8/1/16 6:12 a.m.

photo image_zpshujppwgs.jpg

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YoMAdHgl3NHOCnjuRajsTwG0sdEP8xuXxmLGXsCufm8OSeFLejbWOnCASwc1ZrdT