David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/25/12 5:00 p.m.

Anyone else (in addition to JG) remember these? I was just telling Alan about them. I need a set for the 911.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
10/25/12 5:05 p.m.

If you find some I will take 5 please. I was planning on mounting them up on RX7 donut spares for a project then the supply disappeared. Motorcycle sidecar tires would work, but they only come in 15 and 17 inch, and the rims are 16s.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/25/12 5:54 p.m.

If memory served, those kinda turned into the Aquatread. Or was it the other way around?

Turboeric
Turboeric GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/25/12 6:00 p.m.

I remember seeing a set of these in a VW performance shop in the 80s. They were scary expensive.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/25/12 10:18 p.m.

I saw a set on a display in a European car shop out on Long Island about 15 years ago, but never saw them on the road

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/26/12 9:32 a.m.

I bet they ARE good in the wet with that kind of water displacement ability

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/30/19 11:03 p.m.

Ha, bumping this up because I was just poking around for more info on these and found my own thread from 7 years ago. (Where does the time go?)

Also, I believe this is the missing image from the original post.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/30/19 11:24 p.m.

If you put them on a dually..... you can have QUAD TIRES!

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
12/31/19 4:09 a.m.

Followed soon thereafter by "I'm not hydroplaning, I'm aquatreading!"

I still remember the goofy lexan display that had a normal "tire" and an "aquatread" submerged in a blue liquid. You'd tilt it one way or the other, and the fact that the aquatread tire was always the first one to the other side clearly indicated its superiority as a wet weather tire...

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/31/19 5:59 a.m.
Recon1342 said:

Followed soon thereafter by "I'm not hydroplaning, I'm aquatreading!"

Oh jeez...  There was a guy on ClubSi about 15 years ago who bragged that he won a street race against a Cobra R ("It had a big R in the window") and it turned out that it was raining, the guy in the Mustang didn't even know there was a race going on, and the Honda guy justified it as "i aquatreaded (sic) past his ass"

It turned into a meme on rx7forum smiley

Working for a Goodyear retailer when those were available, Aquatreds were mainly good at wearing very choppy and noisy.  They changed the design a couple times until it was their generic new-style square shouldered tire with a faint groove in the middle.  I hated all of those square shouldered tires, at least one out of every set of four had a shifted belt when new, and we couldn't return them as defective unless the customer complained about it first.  Lotta pissed off people.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/31/19 6:51 a.m.

If you want to dominate as a rain drag racer.....    Audi S car.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BcwHQNURtncploR23dv5JOngtvS73ZTk7C4J5Tmr0rSRXYQOetE5KOyZiLwak9uz