1 2 3 ... 5
Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
12/9/17 9:47 a.m.

Random thoughts over Saturday morning CL and coffee.   With prices and availability  of 4.6 ford Mustang GT engines in short supply, how feasible is a Coyote 5.0 out of later model  wrecked F-150? Maybe specifically to throw one in a cheap later model mustang v-6 or blown up 4.6 l gt?

MoCounselor
MoCounselor GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/9/17 9:54 a.m.

I have to say, I've been pondering this same thing, but not for a Mustang.  I have a 242 Volvo in the garage that I'm still debating on what to do powertrain-wise to it.  :D

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
12/9/17 9:58 a.m.

As much as I want to wrap my head, hands, and money into a swap like a coyote, it’s 12-1500$ buy-in for a wrecked truck engine. I can get 2 LS’s for that same money amount. Plus they fit a hell of a lot more things and the computer system is almost completely broken, can run as mass air or speed density, by the aftermarket for tuning and plug and play capabilities.

Lets not even talk about OEM transmission choices that suck for modulars....

418NV
418NV New Reader
12/9/17 10:18 a.m.

Ive found LS motors in my area getting stupid money for a 6.0

Not worth it IMHO

Daeldalus
Daeldalus Reader
12/9/17 10:22 a.m.

the problem with putting a ford motor in something is that you then have to work on a ford motor.

418NV
418NV New Reader
12/9/17 10:25 a.m.

In reply to Daeldalus :

You must be a Chebby guy. Ford motors dont need all that work like GM products do. ;)

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/9/17 10:27 a.m.

I think one of the big problems with a Coyote vs. an LS is the size. The DOHC V8 is huge (wide).

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 HalfDork
12/9/17 10:33 a.m.

Yeah, I'll echo Ian F's comment. Most of the engine bays people love to put LSs in originally had an inline 4 or 6 it seems, so those engine bays are far too narrow for DOHC heads. I know a Coyote would not fit in my 944.

Not fully dressed engines, but this pic shows the difference pretty well:

NickD
NickD UltraDork
12/9/17 10:37 a.m.

Also going to ditto that the Coyote's big hangup is that it's freaking massive. Also, it's not an easy engine to work on. LS motors, a cam swap gains massive horsepower and is relatively easy to do. Coyote is a nightmare to get into timing with. And also you have to find a computer that can manage the Ti-VCT system or take a massive power loss. I remember when they first came out, a company put a Coyote swap in something and had to disable Ti-VCT and it was only making something like 300hp to the tires. And it also lacks provisions for a power steering pump, requiring you to get an expensive aftermarket front accessory drive or run without it.

The Coyote is definitely a cool engine, lot of potential. But sometimes, to drive a nail the best tool really is a hammer. And the LS is one hell of a well-designed hammer.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
12/9/17 11:02 a.m.

Perhaps the goal here isn’t easy street. People said the same thing to me about stuffing a 1uzfe into my celica. The shock and awe factor goes along way for respect. Whereas, I have absolutely no respect for someone with an “easy button” LS swap. Yawn, it’s been done a trillion times. 

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
12/9/17 11:06 a.m.

I'd say people don't do LS swaps just because they're easy.  They do it because they're easy and work better or have better trans choices than most of the other engines they could swap in. 

418NV
418NV New Reader
12/9/17 11:07 a.m.
gearheadE30 said:

Yeah, I'll echo Ian F's comment. Most of the engine bays people love to put LSs in originally had an inline 4 or 6 it seems, so those engine bays are far too narrow for DOHC heads. I know a Coyote would not fit in my 944.

Damn, that is a huge motor.

NickD
NickD UltraDork
12/9/17 11:10 a.m.
418NV said:
gearheadE30 said:

Damn, that is a huge motor.

The 3 and 4V 4.6Ls were physically larger than the old Ford 427 FE. The 5.0L Coyote is physically larger than the '60s Ford 427 SOHC "Cammer".

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
12/9/17 12:13 p.m.
Trackmouse said:

Perhaps the goal here isn’t easy street. People said the same thing to me about stuffing a 1uzfe into my celica. The shock and awe factor goes along way for respect. Whereas, I have absolutely no respect for someone with an “easy button” LS swap. Yawn, it’s been done a trillion times. 

I agree that the 1uzfe is a cooler swap, but the LS just works. I think that's why people do it. 

Daeldalus
Daeldalus Reader
12/9/17 12:26 p.m.

In reply to 418NV :

im not really a fan of too many domestic vechicles in general.

I have nothing against fords other than the times when I have to work on one. It seems to me that they(more than other companies) always find a way to do something profoundly stupid when building a car that makes it ridiculously difficult to work on.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/9/17 4:40 p.m.
418NV said:

Not worth it IMHO

One can sneeze at the comp cams catalog and pick whichever part number the booger lands on, stab it into an LQ4 and make 400+hp for under 2 grand.  Your idea of “worth it” is far different than mine.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
12/9/17 5:08 p.m.

Its alot more complicated then an ls. But id light my car on fire before going near an ls based engine swap. Cheap and easy is just what most people like. 

418NV
418NV New Reader
12/9/17 5:55 p.m.
Patrick said:
418NV said:

Not worth it IMHO

One can sneeze at the comp cams catalog and pick whichever part number the booger lands on, stab it into an LQ4 and make 400+hp for under 2 grand.  Your idea of “worth it” is far different than mine.

Last LQ4 I saw for sale locally on FB was $2600....

kb58
kb58 Dork
12/9/17 6:19 p.m.

I feel like I'm back in 6th grade out on the playground. Some of you guys worry wayyyy too much about what other people think about your swap. You're grown-up now, do what you want.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/9/17 6:23 p.m.

It's too bad the Coyote is so physically large.

As far as a lot of the rest of the discussion...

Engine Swap Fashion Police

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
12/9/17 6:24 p.m.

In reply to 418NV :

Or you could by a whole van or truck for that money(or less), have 80% of what you'll need for most swaps. Sell the extra parts off if you are patient, scrap the whole shell if you aren't. 

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/9/17 6:29 p.m.

I agree with kb58. Lots of posturing here. And the "latest price you saw on FB marketplace" is not exactly a precise appraisal. 

418NV
418NV New Reader
12/9/17 7:04 p.m.
dculberson said:

I agree with kb58. Lots of posturing here. And the "latest price you saw on FB marketplace" is not exactly a precise appraisal. 

Fair enough, if there is deals out there I wanna know. I guess if CL and FB aren't accurate reflection of the market, I wanna know what is. Anything under a grand I see are the 5.3's. 

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
12/9/17 7:43 p.m.

Meanwhile I'm over here waffling over putting a 5.3 in my GTA or trying to make the L98 work as good. LM7/4l60e with a car intake, cam and headers on a stock GM ECM seems perfect for what I want out of this car. The swap doesn't seem expensive or difficult either. The worst part being hunting down f body front accessory parts.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/9/17 7:45 p.m.

And the 5.3 is bad why?

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IffwkcBa0e4FYEHa4kZ8h2BRhxq4A4ckhQ70RG9PSBoqSUONVnSviH4Oh4vDwl1O