1 2
wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/23/14 2:29 p.m.

Nobody's gonna recommend that Miata swap kit and a crapped out NA?

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
11/23/14 2:34 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy:

Wait, I already have the Miata half of that equation.

EDIT: Except for the "crapped out" part. Unless you consider a stock 1.8 NA "crapped out" from the factory.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/23/14 3:11 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote:
ebonyandivory wrote: How can Honda, Saturn, Ford (Taurus etc.) put out such junk transmissions? I've ranted about this several times before but it still irks me.
Every manufacturer has a few "goose eggs" in their transmission lines, right along with every other component. I can't tell you how many GM 700/4L60/440T4/4T60's, Ford E4OD/AOD/AXOD's, Chrysler FWD variants, etc, I have had to fix over the years. I still like the 6spd manual swap idea...

Yeah, but when my 4L60E crapps out after 160k I can swap in a rebuilt unit for $1000 and a weekend of work.

JFX001
JFX001 UberDork
11/23/14 3:13 p.m.

We also have an '03, and haven't had any slippage in 125K miles...yet. I would do some searching on odyclub for some advice on how to deal with it. Personally, I plan on keeping ours and replacing the trans if and when.

atm92484
atm92484 New Reader
11/23/14 3:14 p.m.

I'm surprised no one has suggested an LS4 and its mating transmission...

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/23/14 3:22 p.m.
atm92484 wrote: I'm surprised no one has suggested an LS4 and its mating transmission...

This is an equally excellent idea.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
11/23/14 3:57 p.m.
wae wrote: It may be that there are just a ton of trans shops out there that are no good

This. And even some of the best ones still believe that there is a one size fits all fluid so that is all they use. Wrong fluid will kill a Honda dead every time. I don't care what the bottle says it will work on, if it didn't come from the dealership it's snake oil.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/23/14 4:11 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec:

seconding what someone else mentioned re. find out from Honda if it was subject to recall or extended warranty.

my '03 Ody got a new trans at 44k miles for a NHTSA recall due to poor internal lubrication of one gear. honda installed a new trans with revised lubrication, and that trans had 212k on it when we traded the '03 for a '10 Ody.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
11/23/14 6:13 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: In reply to kazoospec: seconding what someone else mentioned re. find out from Honda if it was subject to recall or extended warranty. my '03 Ody got a new trans at 44k miles for a NHTSA recall due to poor internal lubrication of one gear. honda installed a new trans with revised lubrication, and that trans had 212k on it when we traded the '03 for a '10 Ody.

Well, I'll definitely ask, since there's really no harm in it, but most posters on this site http://www.odysseytransmission.com/ (Yes, there's a website for Odyssey owners with crapped out transmissions) in the past year or two seem to be being told to "go fly a kite" by Honda.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
11/23/14 6:19 p.m.

I think it makes sense to fix it, as long as the fix is permanent. Do the rebuilt transmissions have the design issue fixed? Or are they just freshened to factory spec? If its a perma-fix, pay the $, drive the van another 150k. If its not and there is that risk of it failing again? I'd probably disclose the trans issues selling on CL, then buy the most reliable machine I could for the same money.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
11/23/14 6:24 p.m.

With only a little over 100k miles, I would fix it. Of the people in the know I've talked with you need to have a Honda sourced transmission put in, not let some small shop rebuild it.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
11/23/14 6:39 p.m.

I would personally ask if Aamco or another big name transmission shop can rebuild it and it be a permanent fix. It should be around $2K max. If theirs isn't, I would look at buying the Toyota or Nissan minivan. I would sell it for cheap, not junk it.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/23/14 6:44 p.m.

I would do the 3x drain and fill with Honda fluid and re-evaluate things (make sure the torque converter locks up in between drains). Also check your motor mounts, as they can cause driveline issues if they're bad enough. This is coming from someone who has an '05 Odyssey and spends a bunch of time on OdyClub

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/24/14 5:04 a.m.

Call Honda consumer affairs. If you are the original owner and can show that you maintained the vehicle, Honda might help you. What could it hurt to give Honda a call?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0sOJWBbSUwTj0rexhS412QoDsAdZEvqmi19N9LXCGcBpEByExyDoIJWqdK3ePPqy