1 2
thedude
thedude Reader
5/31/10 12:49 p.m.
dimeadozen wrote: At another yard, the staff has a group of "customers" they refer to as "fencers"- they will have one guy walk up to the concrete block wall that separates the front of the yard from the parking lot, and throw a part over the fence to a guy in the parking lot. The manager once admitted to me that he's not as worried about lost revenue as he is about the potential for a lawsuit from a customer getting hit by a flying car part, as starters, alternators, etc. are all fair game to be thrown over the fence..

I think this is why my usual yard has 15 foot high metal fences as well as an electric fence (facing inward) around the entire thing.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
5/31/10 1:41 p.m.

I always try and leave things intact unless it is already trashed. I have on to many occasions found parts I needed trashed by someone else recklessly pulling parts.

My local yards are not U pull it places at all. In fact one place is basically just a recycle yard that does get cars, normally no one can even touch those cars at all. At both yards I'm allowed to go in by myself and at the yard where they basically just scrap everything I can pull whatever I want. At the other yard they allow me to go in and I can pull small stuff by myself and they will pull larger stuff for me. Heck sometimes they pull smaller stuff for me if it is hard to get and they don't always charge me for stuff.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
5/31/10 2:07 p.m.

I try to disconect properly as much as possible. My only 2 hack-n-slach was a rear brake line when pulling an exhaust and helping my friend get an instrument cluster out that last 10%, with only 5 minutes till close.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Reader
5/31/10 8:11 p.m.

I take everything apart carefully and keep all the fasteners, trim bits, clips, and whatnot.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Reader
5/31/10 8:34 p.m.
with only 5 minuets till close.

Sweet. I haven't been to a wreckers that plays minuets in years.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Reader
6/1/10 7:56 a.m.

I try to pull the parts I needs carefully. Anything I don't need usually goes in the trunk. I've done the hack and slash once or twice.

steamcorners
steamcorners Reader
6/1/10 8:31 a.m.

Did one window smash, inadvertently. Power window regulator on a Ford Contour, didn't think to bring a battery to wind the window down. I struggled for a while with the window up, but ended up putting an elbow through the glass...

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
6/1/10 10:19 a.m.

What's the deal with yard cars being locked up or trunks not popped? At least that's how the yard around here rolls. Unlock that e36 m3! I spent 30 minute hacksawing my way into a boot. But as a bonus I recovered over two dollars in loose change!

Hack and slash is why I have to hide the Sawzall for legitimate pulls.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
6/1/10 11:03 a.m.

I am also in the "It depends" category. If it looks useful to someone else or the car is not really beat I'm careful to a point. If its beat and it saves me time getting out of there - its crowbar time.

Agreed on locks - dont make break the window and I won't but I am going in one way or another. And what is the deal with stacking E36 M3 on top of cars? Do I really need to move 25 pallets to open the hood? Was there something wrong with putting the car on the ground or do I really need to climb up on top of that school bus to get in?

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/1/10 11:06 a.m.

For the most part I am careful, I look at it as a practice run for when I get home. On the other hand, if time is running out I take no prisoners.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QCM3WFGVIrze8fuEAJbsxbeSdKvaVYFIFVphg4yzXO7VyfI8oBftuIEFLfWB8jik