WilberM3
WilberM3 Dork
7/8/12 4:48 p.m.

so we're trying to solve a fuel issue with the Jeep XJ-R for the challenge and looking to use a larger volume externally mounted fuel pump, but new known brands are not challenge-budget friendly and i figure you guys would know what cars to hone in on at the junkyards.

i thought i remember reading about VW CIS injection pumps possibly fitting the bill but i can't recall anything specifically.

whatever the solution, it needs to be able to supply a turbocharged 4.0L i6, so we'll conservatively say up to ~300hp?

what says the GRM brain trust?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/8/12 4:55 p.m.

ANYTHING from a CIS vehicle is going to have huge flow at EFI pressures.

HappyJack
HappyJack Reader
7/8/12 5:02 p.m.

I used to have to scrounge them up for a Prelude I was circle track racing. You are right about to the VWs . Also Ford pick up trucks, older Honda Preludes (early 80s), I once pulled one off an Merkur XR4Ti.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

EvanR
EvanR Reader
7/8/12 5:10 p.m.

VW and anything else with Bosch CIS...Volvo, SAAB, BMW, Mercedes. For the ultimate flow, find a V-8 Mercedes CIS pump.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
7/8/12 5:57 p.m.

Any RWD Volvo built from 74 to the end, with Bosch injection, will be more than adequate. Note some 700's used a Renix system with an in tank pump. Bring along the wire connectors and fuel line fittings. The EFI cars have a filter packaged with the pump on a bracket under the car.

weedburner
weedburner New Reader
7/8/12 9:42 p.m.

Easiest way to double your volume is to use two pumps.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Reader
7/8/12 9:50 p.m.

The 4x4 community is getting good results from the E8248

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=727927

• Lee
Raze
Raze SuperDork
7/9/12 6:38 a.m.

I don't know how much budget you have, and if having an external pump is paramount, but I'll just throw out that we've been running a TRE Performance 255lph fuel pump (in-tank) on our 30psi XR4Ti and have not one complaint, the fact that it's about 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a Walbro and flows similar for a high-pressure pump let us replace both fuel pumps on the XR4, which has both an intank, and in-line, greatly simplifying our fuel system...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HCequD43wNd0XI7auIss1OT75fCyReU0Qq7bNoV7faBoDLQ0UsChcIp2lPocFbm6