scardeal
scardeal Dork
5/19/15 1:19 p.m.

I'm doing a mental exercise, because right now I just don't have the cash, but I want to have this dilemma...

Anyway, I've had my RX-8 for a while, and I miss the 350Z I used to have. So I'd been thinking, looking at stats, etc. and found out that early 370Zs and C5 Corvettes (non-Z06) are within a few thousand of each other.

Both would be a hoot to autocross, and I think both are competitive in certain classes.

Which one would you choose and why?

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
5/19/15 1:27 p.m.

In reply to scardeal:

C5 because it isn't impossible to see out of?

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
5/19/15 1:30 p.m.

My experience is limited to 350z's but between those two the vette wins hands down. The 350 is a quick car, but the C5 is a very quick car.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/19/15 1:41 p.m.

Vette, because MOAR everything except dollars.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
5/19/15 1:48 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Vette, because MOAR everything except dollars.

And weight, the C5 is lighter. Sounds better too.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
5/19/15 1:51 p.m.

Which one is more fun to drive? That's the real question.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/19/15 1:56 p.m.

C5 FRC or standard?

I would go Vette, just because I am enamored with the C5 or newer Vettes (although I am not a huge fan of the new ones body work, looks like they hot wheeled a Ferrari)

370 is a great car though.

What is your button? Unrefined american sports car or ricer delight? I think both are winners.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/15 1:56 p.m.

+1 for C5 because moar everything except dollars and weight. That includes looks and potential.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
5/19/15 1:57 p.m.

I've not driven a 370Z, but didn't enjoy driving the 350Z's that I've tried. If it were me, I'd go with a vette over the 370Z.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
5/19/15 2:08 p.m.

I'm gonna go opposite here. I really, really miss my 370. I cross shopped C5's, even Z06s, before I bought mine, and the 370 is simply the better car. It's far nicer, especially inside, and it is every bit as quick as the non Z06. The ride is light years better, and it will pull a ton of Gs on stock tires just like the Corvette. Fit and finish are simply in a different league. Rear visibility is blown out of proportion too. I never had issues. There are plenty of cars roaming around just as bad, including the C5 and my current BRZ.

If you liked the 350, the 370 kicks everything up a few notches.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
5/19/15 2:17 p.m.

out of the two I prefer the vette. It has nothing to do with visibility, I have cars that make the 370 look like it has the visibility of a saab 900, I just prefer the vette.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/19/15 2:22 p.m.
scardeal
scardeal Dork
5/19/15 3:00 p.m.

I'm glad that is more than an 8 hour drive from me...

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
5/19/15 3:19 p.m.

We owned C5 and it was a fantastic machine. I test drove a 350Z and liked it a lot, but the C5 seemed more planted and certainly more powerful.

You'll want some dedicated tires for autocross, though. You'll not want to roast your costly runflats!!

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
5/19/15 3:24 p.m.

When I was autocrossing the RX8 a lot in C-stock, my main competition was a 370Z. Pretty even match up as far as I could tell and we would swap top times in the class with similar prep and level of driving experience. The corvettes with similar prep were appreciably faster. Fast doesn't necessarily equal fun, but if you're looking for bang for the buck in auto-x, it's pretty hard to beat the C5.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/19/15 3:47 p.m.

There are very few cars that I have driven and said "I will own one someday". Miata (check), C5 Corvette, Porsche.

I have driven a 350Z in an autocross; my dad owns a G37. While I have never driven a 370, I would bet good money it is NOT on that list above based on my experiences with the 350 and the G37. Doesn't mean I won't ever own one, just that it [probably] isn't an eye-opening vehicle.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
5/19/15 8:09 p.m.

I like this comparison because I think that the 370Z took the HP and price point of the C5 when it was new. Off hand, I can only think of the Genesis Coupe 3.6 being the ideal direct competitor to it. I would need to test drive both on the street, but I would be leaning heavily toward the C5 because the performance is raved about, but the 370Z (and 350Z) is regarded as too soft, somewhat of a roadster instead of a performance sports car.

Opti
Opti Reader
5/19/15 8:14 p.m.

Love my C5, it is a good daily driver with decent performance out of the box, cheap parts and consumables (except tires if your running run flats which I dont recommend), and easy to work on, although I come from an LT1 Fbody so Im obviously a masochist.

If you want stock maybe they are close, if you want to modify, your dollars go very far on the LS platform, some vette specific performance parts are kinda high but when looking at the stuff for the 350z a while back good stuff wasnt cheap either and N/A mods didnt do E36 M3 for the VQ35, less familiar with the 3.7.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
5/20/15 11:18 a.m.

The only thing I didn't particularly care for in the Z was the VLSD. Methinks if I were to eventually get a Z again (350 or 370), a mechanical LSD (and STU/STR) would be high on the priority list.

I think I'd keep a C5 in Street class.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/20/15 12:43 p.m.

sooo, 370 is in c-stock and the c5 is a-stock. c5 zo6 is super-stock, if I am not mistaken.

If we are all looking for the most performance per dollar, it is pretty GD hard to come to any conclusion other than the c5 z06. Esp for 13.9k.

However, that ends up being the strongest argument against the vette, unfortunately.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/20/15 4:58 p.m.

sweet baby jesus..

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5017318546.html

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
5/20/15 5:55 p.m.

I just didn't really click with the 350/370 that I've driven. If you pick up a C5 Z06 you can IMO leave it stock and have a blast.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/20/15 7:06 p.m.

I haven't driven either so have nothing to ad. The one thing that stands out to me is that the Corvette looks significantly larger, so I find it interesting that it's lighter. For those who've driven both, which one FEELS smaller/lighter?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/21/15 4:45 a.m.

To me the Vette feels lighter because the car feels like there is less there. Z car feels solid but not heavy

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a1iMwHiyh9qVwrQKyVxyOgWOxy90BBxlcxR5P9kznvwOF55jPRRf3kXZdeadYgCP