1 2 3
Jah29
Jah29 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/31/17 4:52 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

Is the fox designed for dual purpose cars? I have a trailered and fully track prepped NC, and I'm looking for something better than the SM5 bilsteins. I'm not that price sensitive, but want someone that has done all the work for me, rather than messing with custom valved penskes or similiar.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/31/17 5:08 p.m.

We have a stiffer spring set for people like you, Jah.

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
1/31/17 10:18 p.m.

I can't wait for warm weather to return!

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
5/9/17 9:52 a.m.

Finally put my money where my mouth was and ordered the FM Fox sport setup with the sway bar! Can't wait to get them installed!

Keith Tanner
5/9/17 10:25 a.m.

Sweet. I was driving our Fox-equipped V8 NC earlier this week after a prolonged absence, and my first thought was "damn, I'd forgotten how good this suspension is"

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
5/9/17 10:43 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

So stupid question (though I have an idea how you will answer most of it,) My S2 RX8 is going to be looking at suspension upgrades here in the somewhat near future, and I've wondered if the fox kit could be a good fit for the S2 RX8 chassis?

Keith Tanner
5/9/17 11:02 a.m.

I don't know much about RX8s. I suspect the shocks will bolt in - they look awfully familiar in pictures. You'll probably want a bit more spring rate - but assuming it bolts in, it should work. If you can get me cornerweights I can get a good starting point for the springs.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
5/9/17 11:20 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I don't know much about RX8s. I suspect the shocks will bolt in - they look awfully familiar in pictures. You'll probably want a bit more spring rate - but assuming it bolts in, it should work. If you can get me cornerweights I can get a good starting point for the springs.

I know they share quite a bit between them so thats good info to know, once I get closer to buying ill be in contact with you guys!

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
5/24/17 1:38 a.m.

Good news! I was able to install the Fox "Stage 2" suspension kit over the weekend, which includes the four corners plus a new front sway bar. I also switched over to Porterfield R4-S pads front and rear from stock.

After a few days of the suspension settling in, these are obviously an excellent upgrade over stock. Because of how much the stock suspension leans in the corners and see-saws when accelerating and braking, the car just felt sloppy past 6/10ths. The car has now taken on a whole new character. It's razor sharp, and in just the short hundred or so miles I have put on so far, it's simply easier to drive smoother. I haven't had a chance to adjust the ride height or damper settings from recommended installation specs, but I will do some tweaking next Monday. I think that the ride height is about 14" front and rear from wheel center to fender lip. I have the dampers around the middle setting front and rear. I'll take these down a few notches towards the softer side to make the ride a bit more pleasant on the bumpy concrete highways around town.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/24/17 7:30 a.m.

Congrats Mitchell!

Glad to hear you're not having buyers remorse with this one.

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
5/24/17 10:28 p.m.

I had to take a deep breath when clicking the "buy" button, that's for sure

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/24/17 11:28 p.m.

In reply to Mitchell:

Yeah... Wanting to add the Fox setup to our latest NA. Something about 4 times the buy in for the car for suspension parts.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
5/25/17 6:43 a.m.

any photos with your new FOX suspension?

Keith Tanner
5/25/17 10:32 a.m.

It looks exactly like any other Miata at your chosen ride height. So yes, but you can't tell

Most of the photos on the FM website of cars modeling wheels are cars on Fox.

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
5/29/17 1:20 a.m.

Adjusting the rear dampers is a bit of a pain, since it requires taking out the side trunk panels. I cut access holes into the left and right side plastics to allow easy access to the adjustment knobs. At some point I'll velcro some felt pads over the holes to prevent anything from making its way behind the plastic.

Left:

Right:

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
6/6/17 11:24 p.m.

And some pictures were requested. I haven't taken time to take any after pictures in sunlight. The ride height difference is subtle, which is what I wanted. I wanted a low-key convertible with just a little more special sauce. I also adjusted down the dampers to be a few clicks softer, and that has helped the ride quite a lot.

Before:

After:

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/7/17 6:22 a.m.

Looks great. Can't wait to pick up my Fox suspension equipped Miata. It'll be my 4th vehicle in my stable with FOX on it. My Xterra and 2 mountain bikes are the others. Now if they would just make something for my G37, I'd have a whole fox family.

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
6/26/17 11:31 p.m.

This past weekend included a few hundred miles of continuous curvy roads, with surfaces ranging from perfectly smooth to chipseal gravel. Where the suspension really shined were the low-speed elevation change transitions from left to right or vice-versa. The stock suspension's bodyroll is really disconcerting to drive, but the Fox suspension is very composed.

DLC
DLC New Reader
8/15/17 1:52 p.m.

Anyone want to comment on NC with Fox Stage 2 vs ND Club stock suspension? I'm pondering these options since they now would be roughly comparable in cost.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/15/17 5:02 p.m.

Totally different animals. You are looking at a stock suspension car vs. one with a top tier aftermarket suspensions out there.

I now own the NC V8 Keith talks about above and I can tell you it's fantastic. The Fox suspension just does so many things so right. It just makes the car a ball to drive and almost telepathic with what I would call just OK tires on it. (Yoko S-Drives) Once those get burned off, I'll put something more purposeful on there and I can only imagine the feel then. Interesting thing is it also lets me not run a rear sway bar which seems to help reduce axle tramp with all of that power.

DLC
DLC New Reader
8/16/17 8:47 a.m.

I'm feeling more sold on going for the NC and putting the Fox suspension on it!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/16/17 8:52 a.m.

NC is a damn fine vehicle. I wish I had never ditched mine in favor of the BRZ.

Snrub
Snrub Reader
8/16/17 9:15 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: NC is a damn fine vehicle. I wish I had never ditched mine in favor of the BRZ.

That's interesting to hear, what do like so much more about the NC? Some suggest they are fairly comparable in many ways.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/16/17 10:50 a.m.
Snrub wrote:
z31maniac wrote: NC is a damn fine vehicle. I wish I had never ditched mine in favor of the BRZ.
That's interesting to hear, what do like so much more about the NC? Some suggest they are fairly comparable in many ways.

I seriously miss having a convertible. Partly because it would have been paid off by now, at the time I didn't feel like dropping the coin necessary to have a quality new top installed (it was my only vehicle at the time so I wasn't going to tackle it myself), I didn't want to spend money to spend to fix the failing BOSE stereo.

Add in the BRZ's used value is absolutely abhorrent.

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
8/17/17 12:26 a.m.

FYI I had the frisbee twins as the default for quite some time. However, there were some design elements I really didn't like compared to the NC3; the wheels and the lower rear bumper, and while I preferred its stock suspension compared to the NC, the NC's engine note and transmission were clear winners. Plus, convetible.

I strongly recommend you check out the soft top. If convertible driving is a draw, and not driving a Car that just so happens to be a convertible, I found the cloth top's instantaneous lowering and raising really inviting in daily use. No drama, just throw the top back and go. Rain drops starting to come out? No sweat, you can raise the top on at that stale red light.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SSZJGZG64k4M9ZnTazqMr6KMIGKVwCpMvwUeF4JzbLQNV60hMkW1HEZ9enW9iGlp