bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
12/16/08 2:14 p.m.

I imagine most of us have seen the video of him hooning a 530hp Subie around a large parking lot autocross type course. Today a guy I work with called me over to his desk to show me "the greatest race driver I've ever seen". So I watched the vid again, and it is very entertaining. This guy made a really big deal of Ken doing donuts around the cone. Since I had been doing crap like that since I was a kid, I said that while it was impressive, I didn't think it was all that difficult with the right car. He said "only a hand full of drivers in the world could do that". Now to be fair, I think when he said that he was referring to the entire drive, not just the donut around the cones. Ken obviously had a bunch of practice at this run, since there were pre-existing black marks everwhere. Keep in mind, that I'm not saying it wasn't exciting and impressive, but do you think with practice it was really that hard to do? I'm really not the kind of guy to over-estimate my own abilities, but I just don't see it. What do you guys think?

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/16/08 2:37 p.m.

It wasn't one run. It was spliced together. The magical self-healing bumper tells us this.

It's cool to watch and it's proven to be absolutely fantastic self-promotion for Ken though.

Appleseed
Appleseed New Reader
12/16/08 2:45 p.m.

Why isn't this a sticky by now. Not bashing, cause how could you ever get tired of watching that?

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Production Editor
12/16/08 2:46 p.m.

KB is certainly talented, and from all reports a super nice guy, so I don't have anything bad to say. I <3 Ken Block.

However, given the opportunity to practice and compete as often as he does, I'd think anyone with enough desire could perform on that level. I've never met a driver that is "naturally" talented on the level that the video would make it seem.

What separates him from the rest of us is the fact that he's wealthy (through his own hard work, so good on him.) and can ball up three or four fully-prepped rally cars a year. If you weren't concerned with the risk to your vehicle, how much harder would you drive/practice?

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
12/16/08 2:48 p.m.

Who the hell is Ken Block? Where is this video you speak of? Link?

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
12/16/08 3:08 p.m.

Okay, sorry for bringing it up again guys, but my question is more related to how what he did compares with what an average guy could do with the same equipment and conditions. I just don't see doing a donut around a cone as anything all that special. I just want to know what you guys think.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/16/08 3:14 p.m.

Donut around a cone isn't that impressive. That's essentially the first thing that a beginning drifter learns how to do. The donuts around the guy on the segway was much more impressive, and vastly more entertaining.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
12/16/08 4:43 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: Okay, sorry for bringing it up again guys, but my question is more related to how what he did compares with what an average guy could do with the same equipment and conditions. I just don't see doing a donut around a cone as anything all that special. I just want to know what you guys think.

Sure.

I think the average guy with the same 530 hp Subaru STI and the same abandoned airfield at his disposal and the same years and years of practice and the same racing license could do the same thing.

Give me a break.

While a donut around a cone may be no big deal, hanging the bumper within 6 inches for 720 degrees in 3rd gear in a 530 hp AWD car is stellar. And no, I don't think you can do it.

Unless your name is Ken Block.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
12/16/08 4:44 p.m.
Salanis wrote: Donut around a cone isn't that impressive. That's essentially the first thing that a beginning drifter learns how to do. The donuts around the guy on the segway was much more impressive, and vastly more entertaining.

I agree.

I noticed the guy on the segway spends the entire time looking at the ground. I guess it's that or foul his britches, huh?

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/16/08 4:46 p.m.

Yeah, Ken Block is nothing special. If I had a similar personality to be comfortable in extreme physical situations, and had devoted as much time, money, and effort into practicing and promoting myself, I could be just as good!

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/16/08 4:46 p.m.

The balls on the Segway driver are what really impress about that particular segment :)

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/16/08 4:47 p.m.
Keith wrote: The balls on the Segway driver are what really impress about that particular segment :)

It's why the segway was moving so slowly. It was slowed down by the extra weight of solid brass.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Production Editor
12/16/08 7:18 p.m.
Salanis wrote: Yeah, Ken Block is nothing special. If I had a similar personality to be comfortable in extreme physical situations, and had devoted as much time, money, and effort into practicing and promoting myself, I could be just as good!

I dunno if I'd say he's nothing special. To become a self-made brazillionaire and then commit to being a full-time driver is pretty cool.

Here's some more to soothe the inner fanboi.

Autocrossing with Ken Block

Go tell it on the mountain

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
12/17/08 6:36 a.m.

Well, this morning, with a short amount of practive, I managed to do 10 full 360's around a drain in a parking lot in my Solstice. I'm not stating this because I think I'm a great driver, but to note that, IMHO, doing donuts around a fixed object in a controlled circle isn't really all that hard. Now, I did it on a surface with a very thin layer of snow on it, as I didn't want to wear my rear tires out, but I think it still proved the point to the guy at work. Understand, I'm not trying to say that Block isn't a great driver. For me this was about me disagreeing with the guy at work stating that only a handfull of drivers in the world could do that. Funny thing is that on Top Gear last night Jezza did a lot of the same or similar manuevers, and I've never considered him in that top handfull of the best drivers in the world.

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
12/17/08 1:57 p.m.
...And no, I don't think you can do it.

No offense, and I mean this with the utmost respect , but you can't possibly know that.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gks5ZUDaAuH2hubzOCUcDvAL11Co5fGrcXtWILdzhhq9Us3IBYugJunzVN1YO81H