accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
9/25/17 10:59 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Hg6L_7qLIEQ

They won me over @ the 4 minute mark.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/25/17 11:01 a.m.

I give it less than 10 posts before someone bags on Block.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/25/17 11:14 a.m.

Eh, Block isn't that good.  I could do all that too if you gave me the money he has!

^Joke.

I enjoy these videos!  I wish I had the balls to do some of the things in these videos on purpose.  I have done some cool drifts and near crashes, but they were all mistakes!

I want to drive that car!

thedanimal
thedanimal HalfDork
9/25/17 11:19 a.m.

Watched it first thing this morning. As every "Khana" video, i'm always entertained. Sometimes it's a little to much driftorz but that doesn't stop me from enjoying it for what it is. Plus that Mustang is pretty sweet.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/17 11:22 a.m.

The boy has some cojones. That's drifting with consequences. And why does he hate tires so much?

I love the brake temp check, that was great.

And because it has to be done, here are the other two must-see Pikes Peak videos. The first one was done in one take :)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Y20CLumT2Sg?rel=0

https://www.youtube.com/embed/nvXSXfL4XRc?rel=0

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
9/25/17 11:25 a.m.

Not ragging on him, his driving skills are ridiculous, and I love that car, the thing that I am disappointed about is that when they announced they were gonna turbo that car and take it up Pikes Peak I for some reason assumed it was going to be a legit speed run. They never implied it was, I just assumed. I was always curious how that car would do with sticky rubber in a competition setting and I thought this would be when I found out. Still a cool video. I hope it will make all the flat billers want a 65 mustang coupe, because I just so happen to have one for sale.cheeky

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
9/25/17 11:37 a.m.

In reply to gearheadmb :

Roftlolololcopter at the flat bill hat comment. I feel ya man. 

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
9/25/17 11:44 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

A bit cheesy for me personally, especially the thumbs-up...I think it would have been much more entertaining had Block handed over a $20 to pay his access toll, and then waited for change and a receipt before screaming off again.

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UberDork
9/25/17 11:52 a.m.

Serious pucker moment at about 5:15.surprise

RossD
RossD MegaDork
9/25/17 11:53 a.m.

I like it. I wish my day job involved 1% of what's in that video. The guy's got it figured out.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
9/25/17 12:02 p.m.

Amazing driving skills and a piece of awesome machinery......and I just couldn't get into it.  There would be a moment of great driving and then he'd do a pointless doughnut. I'd really like to see a serious run in that car.

Also a couple of questions: what do you think it would cost to replicate the Hoonicorn?  And how much "1965 Mustang" is actually left in it do you suspect?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/17 12:11 p.m.
Driven5 said:
Keith Tanner said:

A bit cheesy for me personally, especially the thumbs-up...I think it would have been much more entertaining had Block handed over a $20 to pay his access toll, and then waited for change and a receipt before screaming off again.

You pay your toll before that point - and of course they only do the brake check on the way down. Still a nice nod.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
9/25/17 12:19 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Well, since he was on his way up, I guess it makes sense that the guy checked the turbo temp too then. wink

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
9/25/17 12:24 p.m.

Holy Snarli'n Snails !!!!! KB's best yet!!!! I can't recall where ,but read that he has one million in the 'Stang'

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
9/25/17 12:31 p.m.

And how much "1965 Mustang" is actually left in it do you suspect?

I would say 0%. I'm sure it's a scratch built car with replica panels.

I wonder what kind of time it would turn if setup for traction and fast cornering?

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
9/25/17 12:35 p.m.

I thought it was awesome but i enjoy drifting and pointless donuts. That man can drive, no way im trying to drift anywere i can fall off a cliff!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
9/25/17 12:43 p.m.

I wish he'd either enter or do a straight speed run in addition to this.  Only complaint about the vid is I want'd more flames from the turbo's right from the off.  Anyone who watched 935's and other turbo nutter bastard machines in the late 70's and early 80's knows flames are cool.  I'm sure a little more fuel on the over run and we could have had flames galore all the way up.

Did you notice some nod's to the original Climb Dance with a couple of the helicopter shots and the holding his hand in front of his eyes to block the sun when it probably wasn't really needed?

Pucker moments?  Yeah, there were a few!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/17 12:44 p.m.
2002maniac said:

And how much "1965 Mustang" is actually left in it do you suspect?

I would say 0%. I'm sure it's a scratch built car with replica panels.

It had some original '65 Mustang panels in it at some point, there may still be some in there, but that's all.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/17 12:48 p.m.

Saw in a prerelease article yesterday that the "rear tires on the dirt cliff edge" moment was unintentional or at least unplanned, and the whole film crew nearly crapped themselves.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
9/25/17 1:02 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

The boy has some cojones. That's drifting with consequences. And why does he hate tires so much?

And because it has to be done, here are the other two must-see Pikes Peak videos. Both done in one take.

Ah the classic Climb Dance.  I remember watching a fuzzy VHS copy when it first came out.  Someone got a hold of a copy and we all sheared it vis VHS to VHS tape machine, That was the cutting edge of technology circa 1991.  That 'Rendez-vous' and the famous 'Ruf Yellow Bird at the ring' movies were favorites.

Anyway, I dispute the claim of a single take for a couple of reasons.  First Vatanen's time was 10m47s and there is less than 4 mins of content in the 4:50 film, also the way the light changes so much seeming to flash back towards sun rise at several points I think some of the footage was shot during practice.  Not taking anything away from a magnificent beast, man or event.  Also notice how much understeer he has at times as well as how few gear changes (wider ratio's in the box) and how much lock is needed compared to the Hoonicorn.  Nearly 30 years of advancement in race car engineering shows how crude full factory works WRC cars (No I know the 405 wasn't a WRC car, but you know what I mean) were compared to today's 'fun toys'.  Finally before anyone jumps on the 'it's easier now it's all paved' bandwagon, note how much narrower the road is these days?  I bet in some corners it's lost 40%.  That makes a big difference to your line and possible speed.  I'd love to see PSA bring back the 405T-16 with asphalt slicks and see what Seb the deity Loeb could do compared to his time in the 208t-16

NickD
NickD SuperDork
9/25/17 1:09 p.m.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
9/25/17 3:26 p.m.

That car is the epitome of "rip snortin' machine". THe sounds it makes are ungodly...... and makes me nether regions a wee bit tingly.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
9/25/17 3:49 p.m.

I saw that edge and thought "that looks like the spot Jeramy drove Yuri off in the Evo". And then I read the article on speedhunters and sure enough, they said it was the same spot. 

I'm glad I've driven up Pikes Peak. I'm equally glad I don't want to race up it. 

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project New Reader
9/25/17 8:22 p.m.

I wish I had half his balls and half as badass of a car.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/25/17 8:51 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce :

Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jUzdEvzSlsM3wtMBn8yLiXa9hRxMAmCZWYLOx87f78rzIq0BtTc1tXaoFVDclqnX