patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/19/08 2:42 p.m.

rundown:

bought 96 astro w/ knock but in beautiful shape

pulled pan, inspect, install new crank, 2 rods, bearings, runs perfect for 2 months

drop timing chain on the road, bend 5 exhaust valves

install reman heads, turn key, runs perfect. KNOCKING.

i dunno if the abrupt stop of dropping the timing chain and pinning it between the crank gear and block wiped a rod bearing or what, but time to pull the pan again and inspect.

KILL ME NOW PLEASE

and i have a beat up 95 that runs perfect - but 95 and 96 engines are different.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/19/08 2:48 p.m.

IIRC the 95 engine long block MIGHT be the same, I believe you need to look at the crank sensors and swap intakes.

YMMV

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
12/19/08 2:48 p.m.

Damn, you're a glutton for punishment. You can get used (good condition) 4.3s for about the same price as a crank kit all day long, why bother rebuilding them?

Good luck man, sounds like you're running low on it!

Bryce

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
12/19/08 2:51 p.m.

In my book, rod knock means dump it and put a used-but-good motor in or do a total rebuild with new pistons, bored, etc. if it is exotic and a junkyard motor isn't available. A new crank and a couple of rods might make it run for 2 months then poof.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
12/19/08 2:57 p.m.

Sounds like it's time to shove a V8 in there.

patgizz
12/19/08 4:43 p.m.

astro = body off frame to get the engine out - thats why i did not go that route.

i found a local recycler with a guaranteed one for $125 plus $30 core. they do installs as well, i left them a message asking how much for the install.

my head is going to blow up if i have to deal with it anymore, the POS 95 that i picked up running condition unknown that was neglected for what looks like since day 1, runs great and starts first crank every time

slefain
slefain Dork
12/19/08 5:50 p.m.

Run thicker oil...

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
12/20/08 9:35 a.m.

Don't you have LSx engines falling out your ass? I think you know the right answer.

ncjay
ncjay New Reader
12/21/08 10:19 a.m.

I used to have some related headaches trying to rebuild worn out junk. Now, I just get a remanufactured engine from a place like Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts. Last engine I picked up was cheaper than a complete rebuild and also came with a 1 year warranty. I'm pretty sure companies that build engines all day long for a living will do a better job than I will, and it takes much less time to swap parts and drop the engine back in place.

patgizz
12/21/08 10:59 a.m.

yeah i bought a motor from advance once. it came with 3 bad lifters. they refused to answer if they install new or just resurface the bottom of the old. they told me take all the bad parts to the store, get new, and they would pay for the repair including labor. sent them the receipt, they never returned my calls.

from scratch/new/freshly machined parts i can build anything better than any bulk rebuilder.

i'm going to stick it in the corner and worry about it in the spring. i need to get on my truck build, working on something fun will clear my head.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
12/22/08 9:32 a.m.

That's getting into my philosophy of "Dr.Hess does not trust any engine builder except Dr.Hess and the original motor factory." We put an autozone reman SBF in my friend's van. It blew. They warrantied it. That one blew also. They warrantied that one and he sold the van. Now, maybe SBF's can't handle towing, or maybe AZ's rebuilder just slapped it together "good enough." Either way, I prefer an untouched junkyard motor of low mileage or my own rebuild.

internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
12/22/08 1:27 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: That's getting into my philosophy of "Dr.Hess does not trust any engine builder except Dr.Hess and the original motor factory." We put an autozone reman SBF in my friend's van. It blew. They warrantied it. That one blew also. They warrantied that one and he sold the van. Now, maybe SBF's can't handle towing, or maybe AZ's rebuilder just slapped it together "good enough." Either way, I prefer an untouched junkyard motor of low mileage or my own rebuild.

I'd go with the second option.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/22/08 2:41 p.m.

I've had better luck from a junkyard than a mass rebuilder. We did two 2.8s in a Buick Century. The first was missing a rod bearing. After two weeks of back and forth they sent one that smoked more than the original bad motor. The only thing I would add to the Doc's comment would be a known local engine builder. We started using McBetts race engines after the buick motors and never ahd a problem. It cost a little more but was worth it to know it was going to work.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iZF86RFxv2nVMI83XZ9MXdlcENuLGqNvmbcMh78Nz02fil3bApqqlMHBsjrDasDE