1 2
Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
12/2/17 10:34 p.m.

A track in central Kentucky (National Corvette Museum Motorsports Park} came up with a new series to have some fun with cars during the winter. King of the Heap, or KOTH for short. Think Lemons/Chump racing, but with a spec tire and 4 different areas of competition at each event. Autocross, rallycross, 1/8th mile drag race, and lap time battle on the East portion of their track. Cars are supposed to be valued at $1k or less, with a claiming rule in place to keep everyone honest. 

My team, Team Cold Lotion, drove a stock 1996 Probe GT and we had an absolute blast. The car had a misfire the entire event that we couldn't figure out, but we still had a blast and ended up 2nd out of 30 teams. I was super happy to post FTD on the road course in a 5 cylinder probe lol

Here are our top times from each segment. I figured you guys would like to see some quality low-buck racing!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/3/17 9:02 a.m.

Like it!!!

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
12/3/17 1:54 p.m.
Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
12/3/17 2:08 p.m.

Sounds like a good time, wish we had something like that here.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/3/17 2:38 p.m.

Fing awesome!

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
12/3/17 3:46 p.m.

I'm really annoyed that I missed this. 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
12/3/17 6:32 p.m.

This is close to me,  so I got a team together over the weekend and we’re shooting to enter a car in the March event.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
12/3/17 6:35 p.m.

There is more elevation change at the NCM track than is apparent from video. The right-left combination that starts at 1:15 or so was a pucker moment the first time for a road-course newb (me) accustomed to autocross. Very fun to drive. 

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/3/17 6:42 p.m.

This is awesome!  I wish I was close enough to join!

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
12/3/17 6:51 p.m.

I bet the Lincoln Mark 8 did pretty well. Are there results? Rules? 

March event? yes 

I'll bet can find a $1k or less Infiniti Q45 by then. 

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
12/3/17 7:01 p.m.
John Welsh said:

March event? yes 

Rules and dates: 

http://motorsportspark.org/events/king-of-the-heap/2017-12-02/

There is a FB group (KOTH) where most of the current info is posted. They said official results will be posted sometime this week. 

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
12/3/17 7:04 p.m.

In reply to conesare2seconds :

Truth. The video doesn’t do the sinkhole any justice. 

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
12/3/17 7:41 p.m.
Spoolpigeon said:
John Welsh said:

March event? yes 

Rules and dates: 

http://motorsportspark.org/events/king-of-the-heap/2017-12-02/

There is a FB group (KOTH) where most of the current info is posted. They said official results will be posted sometime this week. 

There's a Jan, Feb, and March event.  

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
12/3/17 7:47 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Yeah, 1st Saturday of each month. They’ll run rain, snow, or shine. 

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
12/3/17 7:49 p.m.

I'm going to try to have my Malibu at the Janurary event, was shooting for December but didn't make it. Not sure on doing more than one event since half of my team isn't local. 

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
12/3/17 7:58 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

Even one event is a blast. And if you need drivers, I can help. I’m local and have a ton of idiot friends who love this sort of stuff. 

youngfg
youngfg New Reader
12/3/17 8:04 p.m.

Do all of the drivers get to compete in each event? 

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
12/3/17 8:42 p.m.
youngfg said:

Do all of the drivers get to compete in each event? 

Yes, which is what makes it awesome. 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
12/5/17 8:33 p.m.

What kind of cars show up?  We have tentatively decided on my beater/parts car 85 Mercedes 300d as our entry.  We are somewhat concerned with the claimer rule,  so want to keep it cheap and easy until we see how much claiming goes on.  We plan to disconnect the wastegate,  turn up the fuel,  throw some nitrous at it,  and just have fun,  so we’ll see how it goes!

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
12/5/17 9:21 p.m.

In reply to Cotton :

I plan on bringing a gutted 3100 powered '99 Malibu. From what I saw I think the Lincoln Mk 8 was probably the most powerful thing that showed up, an NA Miata of course was the closest thing to a sports car.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
12/5/17 9:54 p.m.

We’re looking forward to it.  Plan to put a battery on the Benz this weekend and start gutting it.  We might make the February event, otherwise it’ll be March.

My backup plan is a pimped out rusty old Ford van with a 302....if vans are allowed.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
12/6/17 6:55 a.m.
Cotton said:

What kind of cars show up?  We have tentatively decided on my beater/parts car 85 Mercedes 300d as our entry.  We are somewhat concerned with the claimer rule,  so want to keep it cheap and easy until we see how much claiming goes on.  We plan to disconnect the wastegate,  turn up the fuel,  throw some nitrous at it,  and just have fun,  so we’ll see how it goes!

There was quite the variety of E36 M3boxes out there. Lincoln mk8, Lincoln LS, Chevy caprice, several old neons, a few v6 mustangs, an s10, Ford Taurus, Nissan Altima, a mk3 Supra that barely ran, several p71 cars, a Malibu Maxx, etc. A b15 Sentra won the event. I think the Merc would fit in quite nicely. 

Also, no nitrous allowed. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
12/6/17 7:00 a.m.

Any teams that need an extra driver, I should be available and live just under 2 hours from the site.  Just give me a days' warning cheeky

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
12/6/17 12:15 p.m.

In reply to Spoolpigeon :

Bummer on the nitrous.  Is there a rule book?  I checked the website and didn’t see a lot of restrictions. 

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
12/6/17 12:50 p.m.

In reply to Cotton :

Rules copied from the KOTH Facebook page:

OFFICIALLY UNOFFICIAL RULES 

The Mr. Gasket King of the Heap
AKA Daily Hunter 

King of the Heap is a multi-discipline team based race program for “Heap” $1000 cars. 

KOTH will consist of: 
Auto – X 
Rally – X 
Track portion
1/8th Mile Drag time 

Segment times are added for a total cumulative time of fast laps across the 4 segments. The lowest total time wins. Event finishing position will be awarded points for the Championship. 

Each car will have 4 drivers – No driver can have their fast time be applied to more than one discipline per event. Who’s time is used is at the teams discretion. We will try our best to get everyone laps in all segments, however segment fast times as to the rules are the responsibility of the team, not the series. So all-4 drivers can put a time in for each event, but each driver must represent the fast time for no more than one of the four disciplines. 

Rules: 
• Vehicles should be valued at $1000 – with a $1500 claimer! Daewoo to Bugatti if you show up with it, we assume its worth $1000
• Vehicles must have all body panels
• Vehicles must be OEM 2WD 
• Vehicles must have a windshield, oem or ¼” + Lexan
• Vehicles must have a seatbelt, OEM or 5 point + 
• Vehicles must use the Spec tire – Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring NT 
• Vehicles cannot use a tire wider than the OEM base model section width & wheel diameter unless smaller than 195 Section width and 15’’, which will serve as the base tire size. Aspect ratio is open for all tires.
• OEM jack and jack stands (thumbs up for safety) are the only acceptable means of wrenching on a heap at NCM MSP during the event. 
• The Pontiac Aztec is the only unclaimable vehicle.
• Vehicles must meet a 95db at 50 ft sound limit. IE OEM Exhaust. Sound Violation will result in event DQ and forfeiture of participation in the remainder of event. Tire squeal should be the loudest thing we do. 
• Vehicles must not leak fluids excessively, stewards discretion 
• SA2010 or newer helmet, long pants, closed toe shoes required 
• Events will be run rain, shine, or snow. Stewards Discretion
• Convertibles are allowed – but you’d be dumb.
• Points are awarded to the team, not the vehicle, so a team may show up with a different vehicle/drivers each event. 
• Cars with high rollover risk are prohibited. IE Ford Exploder, Stewards Discretion
• Drivers can drive for a maximum of 4 teams, but can only submit ONE fast segment per event regardless of team. IE No AutoX or TT ringers.
• Nitrous is not allowed in any form or fashion on participating vehicles. 
• Battery cannot be relocated and must be securely fastened in OEM location
• Pre-Registration is First Come First Served, we don’t care how many points you have, if you forget to register that’s on you. 
• Not everyone is guaranteed to drive every segment. Time and Daylight are limited, and we just want to go home anyways.  
• Transponders will be mounted on the rear bumper of all vehicles. Replacement cost of damaged or not returned Transponders is $499. 
A Team may only bring 1 car per event. No backup cars, ringer cars, or purposeful failures.
$20 fines will be levied to teams who ask questions that can be found in this rulebook. 

Claimer: 
• Claims will be submitted at the end of each event. 
• If a claim is tendered, the car MUST change hands. 
• A claim will represent a trade of vehicles – and $500 in cash - $250 to the team of the claimed car, $250 to the series pot.
• A vehicle can only be claimed once per event. 
• If multiple claims are submitted for the same vehicle, priority goes to the lowest finishing team that completed all segments of the event!
• Claims cannot be tendered with non-running equipment. 
• Claims are subject to stewards discretion. 
• All parts go with a claimed car. No removing parts from cars that are claimed, or about to be tendered for claim. 

Everything that happens during KOTH is at Stewards Discretion. I reserve the right to enforce or not enforce anything as I see fit, as well as issue penalties as my imagination sees fit. 

Loopholes will be slammed shut, as they are found, severe penalties will be rendered if not reported before exploited. 

If a team does not have enough drivers for all segments, or a driver is DQ’d, the slowest submitted time of the event for the segment will be duplicated and applied. Or I just might throw a bunch of 9’s at you, we’ll see how I feel. 

Schedule: 
7:30am Check-In, Transponder issuance Team Captain only
8:00am Drivers Meeting – All Drivers must attend drivers meeting – No late arrivals, THEY WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO PARTICIPATE. 
8:30am-11:30 West Track Open for 1/8th mile. No Burnouts.
8:30am-11:30 East Track Open for Time Trial. 10 Cars allowed on Track at a time, point-by required, aggressive driving will get NO WARNINGS and DQ’d
11:30am-2:30 Auto-X
2:30pm-4:30 Rally-X 
4:45 Stewards compiling results, Yay Math. 
5:00pm Results, Claims, Stuff in Classroom

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PTu8WqKFD9d4VTxxB3iPV9ORpXVuXRujYnKsSdRjTZIO4RfxO5XeiZKihrO26biw