1 2
akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
12/6/17 12:57 p.m.

So is it best to start with the best tiger paw size then find a car that it came on?

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
12/6/17 1:08 p.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

It's best to find a car that runs reliably and reasonably well.  Spoolpigeon and team finished 2nd overall in a 5 cylinder Probe.  Just think how well they could have done with all 6 cylinders firing!

I suspect it's more about the drivers than the car prep but to finish first, first you must finish.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
12/6/17 1:36 p.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

I think driving had more to do with it than anything. My team likely had more race experience than any other team there. 

However, if I was fishing for a competitive car, lightweight would be the priority. Most of the teams brought v8 RWD sedans and they all got rolled up by neons, a Sentra, and a probe. 

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
1/6/18 9:10 p.m.

Damn, I also don't live that far away, and would be happy to be an extra driver of your E36 M3 mobile.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy HalfDork
1/6/18 9:46 p.m.

Did you guys catch this in the rules?...

• The Pontiac Aztec is the only unclaimable vehicle.

I bet someone here could build a hell of an Aztec...

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
1/6/18 10:12 p.m.

Round 2 today and we took the win!!! All 4 of our drivers were on point today. We took FTD on the road course, autocross, and rallycross.

P.S. KYallroad is a Bob Costas.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
1/29/18 2:06 p.m.

KOTH is on for another year. 

And in an effort to keep the spirit of heaps driven in anger going, our local autocross region (CKRSCCA) has implemented a Heap Pile class.  No cars worth more than $1,500 (two stewards evaluate adherence to this rule) and must run on 500 or greater TW tires (preferably Uniroyal Tiger Paws).  It'll be given a nominal PAX of 0.90 and we're encouraging teenagers and young adults who might otherwise have been scared off from the old guy car arms race that sees septuagenarians in ZO6 corvettes.  It should be a good time all around.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
6/11/18 5:21 p.m.

I never updated this thread, so here we go.

I left of with us winning event #2 by a large margin. For whatever reason, no one claimed the car that day. Cody and I had so much fun and realized that this car would be a perfect low buck track rat for us. Off to Craigslist for a stunt double. We found another GT that was a rust pile, but it ran. We scooped it up for $500 and got to work. This car was black so we gave it the same livery as the purple car and dubbed it Colder Lotion. Only a handful of folks even noticed it was a different car. Unfortunately, the car started knocking like crazy while I was out on the road course (still got FTD in it!).  We nursed it through the rest of the event and finished 5th for the day. That put us tied for the lead. We had to figure something out for the final event. Craigslist to the rescue. Found another engine for $100. We snagged it and gave it a good once over before stuffing it in the car. Bearings looked good, leak down test was low on one cylinder. It was leaking through the intake valves so we took a closer look. Turns out a mouse turd was stuck to the valve edge holding it open. Cleaned that off and everything was solid. With the new engine in and running well, we got back to making upgrades to get every advantage we could to try and win the entire season. A bunch of aliminum flashing, rivets, and duct tape make some great aero for it. 

The final event rolls around and we cleaned house. FTD on the road course again, which makes FTD on the road course at all four events, hell yeah. We won the whole series, and they announced that all Ford Probes are now banned from KOTH competitions. Its to promote variety in the series, so the black car became a parts car as we turn the purple car into our HPDE/TT car. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
6/11/18 5:36 p.m.

That’s AWESOME! Congrats! 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
6/11/18 6:10 p.m.

I like that you're continuing on into a different venue with the car. Those things are forgotten but they were pretty damn good for their time.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
6/12/18 10:07 a.m.

The spec tire made me chuckle. Also, I can't wait to see a Pontiac Aztec ringer. Congrats on the series win. Could you still race an MX6?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/12/18 10:27 a.m.

Not may accomplish having a vehicle dominate to the point of banishment. 

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
6/12/18 11:36 a.m.
Boost_Crazy said:

Did you guys catch this in the rules?...

• The Pontiac Aztec is the only unclaimable vehicle.

I bet someone here could build a hell of an Aztec...

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
6/12/18 11:46 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Probe banned?  No problem...

F2T all the things...

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
6/12/18 12:29 p.m.

In reply to 2002maniac :

Yeah, an MX6 would be the easy button for another competitive car. We honestly haven’t even started looking for another car yet. With the banning of winning cars part of the rule set now, we’ve been tempted to grab a p71 and get half the field banned lol

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
6/14/18 1:21 p.m.

I'm still annoyed that I missed all of this then traded off my car. If anybody needs a totally unproven driver with no experience for the upcoming season, hit me up. 

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
6/14/18 2:16 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

If you’re on the bookface, there is a KOTH page on there. Often teams were looking for drivers last season. I imagine it would be more of the same this time around. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
12/11/19 7:53 a.m.

KOTH has entered it's third year.  Event 1 is in the books but don't let that stop anyone from coming out.  The overall feel of events is very free-form and looser than more serious things but a good time.

My team is campaigning a woefully underpowered BMW 318Ti.  It's slow but reasonably fun for a $500 beater.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
1/5/20 11:48 p.m.

Second event done.  First event we finished 6th of 27.  Saturday we did 7th of 32.  

Our 318 got some exhaust freeing tor this time around and it was noticeably happier up on the top end, zinging into the rev limiter quite freely.  It's an open diff car however and really struggles to put down what little power it has.  Any free to super cheap things to help improve that?  (Don't want to weld it, pretty sure things will break).  Considering welding a couple of the front coils together to stiffen that end.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/6/20 4:56 a.m.

I've kept my eye on this event over the years both here and FB.  This seems like a great place for an Infiniti Q45. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4rsI1Y9f4y989ZeKLFokmbE4PVgqnGRlLqrCQJdcgGHzfaW2H2OEK8JfuHCixHaf