GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/15 7:33 a.m.

About as un-grassroots as possible, but hoooly E36 M3!

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/03/geneva-2015-koenigsegg-regera-debuts/

This is why I think articles like this one about the Veyron...

http://www.wired.com/2015/03/bugatti-sells-last-veyron-well-never-see-supercar-like/

...are simply romanticizing "pre-green" technologies in a Clarksonian manner. Supercars aren't becoming hybrids to be eco-friendly, that's just a nice side-effect. They're becoming hybrids because that makes them faster. Same with turbos. To refuse these technologies is just letting energy go to waste pointlessly. Sure you could make a car just as powerful by giving it a cavernous V16 and dumping massive amounts of fuel into it, but that's the hard way to do it at this point, and the extra effort isn't worth the Clarkson boners (or reduced driving range that will come with abysmal MPGs).

GameboyRMH
3/5/15 8:31 a.m.

More details, this car's powertrain will surprise you:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/koenigsegg-regera-revealed-geneva-motor-show-2015-03-03

It has inboard electric motors for the rear wheels as you might expect, but then it has one starter-motor-generator on the flywheel and only a single-speed hydraulic drive between the engine and wheels. No real gearbox. The ICE only contributes power directly above 30mph. Power is 1100hp from the ICE and 700hp from the electric motors.

So the powertrain is actually more similar to a Chevy Volt's than anything else that's been done before.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/5/15 8:55 a.m.

Ever since the days I played with electric R/C, I've never feared it.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
3/5/15 9:13 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Power is 1100hp from the ICE and 700hp from the electric motors.

Let's just repeat that again: 1,100 peak horsepower from the gasoline engine and an additional 700 horsepower from the electric motor. This massive power, not just a quarter mile at a time between rebuilds, but in a production street car suitable for daily driving. What an amazing time to be alive.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
3/5/15 9:19 a.m.

The original article claims 1,500 hp from ICE, is it 1,100 or 1,500? Part of me says the 400 extra or fewer horsepower make a difference yet part of me says nah!

GameboyRMH
3/5/15 9:41 a.m.
nderwater wrote: What an amazing time to be alive.

It's an amazing time to be rich enough to own a supercar. They're cool and all, but ogling them isn't worth that much to me.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
3/5/15 9:44 a.m.

Will Top Gear have to update their leader board for this one?

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/5/15 11:13 a.m.

Nope. It's not a track car, it's a Veyron class car.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
3/5/15 12:03 p.m.

Go Rimac!

GameboyRMH
3/5/15 12:16 p.m.
mr2peak wrote: Nope. It's not a track car, it's a Veyron class car.

I wouldn't rule it out...it will be the fastest in a straight line by far and the handling will be very good by supercar standards.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
3/5/15 12:38 p.m.

It will be interesting to see how long it holds a charge in a race situation. 9kWh isn't that big of a pack and efficiency drops heavily at full throttle-but it is a hybrid and its assisting a 1000hp ICE so no one will be holding full throttle for long.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
63MyWH5KB0NM2ktbqphE2dhYzBcSD40UFCR233K4RKWmYBIlkm5JxRO7zk16VQwJ