GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/23/08 7:37 a.m.

A set of slightly used T1Rs is for sale by me for about 70% of the price of a new set of SPTs. My current tires still have more than half the original tread depth, but considering the price difference and the difficulty of finding 195/50/15 tires I'm thinking it might be a good idea to pick these up. The car is a track/weekend car in a searing hot and extremely rainy climate with bad roads and the car often sits for months at a time. I notice that the T1Rs don't have center ribs like the SPTs, that could give less grip in the rain. I'm happy with SPTs and it would be very convenient to replace them with another set, but the price difference here is very appealing.

Has anyone run both tires? If anyone has run a car similar to mine with these tires, what pressures did you use for different events?

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 New Reader
10/23/08 3:56 p.m.

I see plenty of tires on tirerack in that size. I've used the T1S on a BMW and they were OK. Soft sidewalls and mushy feeling but great in the rain and good breakaway characteristics. I'd rather track on some other tire personally. I have the SPTs on my current Mini S and love them for road use. Haven't tracked the car on those tires.

I'd just keep the money in the bank as you seem to have plenty of tread on your existing tires and the car sits for months at a time as you said.

You also don't know the history of the used tires so I just don't see the point.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/24/08 11:52 a.m.

I'm an amateur, but I've used both.

T1R seemed to need a longer time to get warm and provide max grip. The Kumhos seemed to never provide max grip. And I'm on the opposite side of amg_rx7... I need that progressive breakaway because I'm an amateur.

T1R gave more ultimate grip, and gave it up more progressively.

JmfnB
JmfnB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/24/08 12:15 p.m.

Does TireRack ship to the Carribean?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/24/08 2:22 p.m.
JmfnB wrote: Does TireRack ship to the Carribean?

I'm not sure, but it definitely wouldn't be affordable.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 New Reader
10/24/08 7:56 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: I'm an amateur, but I've used both. T1R seemed to need a longer time to get warm and provide max grip. The Kumhos seemed to never provide max grip. And I'm on the opposite side of amg_rx7... I need that progressive breakaway because I'm an amateur.

Me too :) I'll take progressive breakaway over ultimate grip any day of the week. Progressive breakaway saves my ass on track.

curtis73 wrote: T1R gave more ultimate grip,

Based on my experience with the T1S, I'd agree. The SPT isn't much of a track tire. I think there are much better options than the T1R also. The SPT really is just a street tire that can give good enough grip for sporting street use yet is still good in the rain and other things that make a street tire good.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0VFuoGFdrRB5VPKGmzusJNti3trquqeuh6lEssh1Va8nYZG2eUNqzKEcmH21lB9S