AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/23/17 8:40 a.m.

Did a quick search and didn't seem to see anything posted about this already, so I want to hear your thoughts.

https://kwik-lift.com/

Seems pretty neat. No electronics or hydraulics to break, just a simple setup for if you don't have enough room for a 2 post. $1400 for new seems a little expensive, but I found a few used from $600-900 and I may pick up one. The couple YouTube reviews I watched seemed to like them a lot.

Step 1: Ramp

Step 2: Jack, then flip out legs

Step 3: Space to work on your vehicle!

Optional: Use the other piece thing to jack up and take off wheels for brake or suspension work.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/23/17 8:47 a.m.

Interesting...

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/23/17 8:55 a.m.

Interesting, but the website is a bit short on info (or I couldn't easily find it). What is the width? Is the width adjustable for narrow cars? What is the clearance of the jacking cross-member if you have a low car?

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
8/23/17 9:00 a.m.

I thought they went out of business. Great idea with a crack-pipe price.

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls PowerDork
8/23/17 9:20 a.m.

We had one of those in the shop for a few years and universally hated it. It is less convenient than 4 tall jack stands. We found that most jacks that are low enough to get under the bar to lift it do not go high enough for the legs to swing down so you had to have two jacks and blocks of wood. Lifting it meant getting the low profile jack under it, lifting it about 6 inches, shoving bits of 4X4 under it, letting it back down again and putting a taller jack in to get it all the way up then flipping the legs down. At that point the lifting bar with the bend in it would rotate down so you couldn't slide under the car on a creeper from that end. We wound up buying an expensive snap on jack after a while. It usually sat empty while there was a car next to it on stands.

In the up position it held cars in the most awkward and useless height. Working on interiors was inconvenient , engine bays were impossible. Pulling a motor while a car was on it was impossible since an engine hoist wouldn't fit in between the legs. I am not exactly sure what it was meant to be used for. Certainly not suspension work since you had to buy the extra plates and use jack stands anyway to remove the wheels.

For the cost of a kwik-lift and accessories plus a high lift low profile jack and stands you can buy a Challenger 2 post lift from Napa commercial.

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls PowerDork
8/23/17 9:23 a.m.
Ian F wrote: Interesting, but the website is a bit short on info (or I couldn't easily find it). What is the width? Is the width adjustable for narrow cars? What is the clearance of the jacking cross-member if you have a low car?

The width is kinda adjustable. The front end is just two folded sheet metal legs with large cotter pins as hinges. The rear is a heavy wall bent tube that just slides into sockets in the rails so you can adjust it 8 inches or so. I was able to get a Fiat 600 on it and widen it enough to roll a big old Mercedes 280SE convertible on as well. The jack plates come in two lengths. Neither of which I was often able to use.

Snrub
Snrub Reader
8/23/17 9:43 a.m.

I have a set of these, they're an interesting alternative. http://myliftstand.com/

AWSX1686
8/23/17 9:48 a.m.
Ian F wrote: Interesting, but the website is a bit short on info (or I couldn't easily find it). What is the width? Is the width adjustable for narrow cars? What is the clearance of the jacking cross-member if you have a low car?

Some of their videos show the ramps moved closer together to work on a lawnmower.

AWSX1686
8/23/17 9:58 a.m.
Jumper K. Balls wrote: We had one of those in the shop for a few years and universally hated it. It is less convenient than 4 tall jack stands. We found that most jacks that are low enough to get under the bar to lift it do not go high enough for the legs to swing down so you had to have two jacks and blocks of wood. Lifting it meant getting the low profile jack under it, lifting it about 6 inches, shoving bits of 4X4 under it, letting it back down again and putting a taller jack in to get it all the way up then flipping the legs down. At that point the lifting bar with the bend in it would rotate down so you couldn't slide under the car on a creeper from that end. We wound up buying an expensive snap on jack after a while. It usually sat empty while there was a car next to it on stands. In the up position it held cars in the most awkward and useless height. Working on interiors was inconvenient , engine bays were impossible. Pulling a motor while a car was on it was impossible since an engine hoist wouldn't fit in between the legs. I am not exactly sure what it was meant to be used for. Certainly not suspension work since you had to buy the extra plates and use jack stands anyway to remove the wheels. For the cost of a kwik-lift and accessories plus a high lift low profile jack and stands you can buy a Challenger 2 post lift from Napa commercial.

Interesting to hear your feedback. They certainly looked more helpful than they sound now. I may just ahve to go back to looking into a MaxJax.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/23/17 10:33 a.m.

I love my maxjax. $1400 for this vs $1800 for a maxjax? No question in my mind which is the right choice.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/23/17 11:28 a.m.
Snrub wrote: I have a set of these, they're an interesting alternative. http://myliftstand.com/

What was the pricing on those? I can't seem to find it on the website or Facebook page?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/17 11:42 a.m.
dculberson wrote: I love my maxjax. $1400 for this vs $1800 for a maxjax? No question in my mind which is the right choice.

I love my MaxJax too, but I'm thinking about selling it and getting a four post lift. Not because the MaxJax isn't awesome (it is!) but because I have been doing less and less car work lately and more and more car storage.

java230
java230 SuperDork
8/23/17 11:51 a.m.

My neighbor found a set of these things on CL for cheap. Seems decent to me, enough to do undercarriage work pretty well anyway.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
8/23/17 11:53 a.m.

I've been eyeing the Max Jax for a while. What modifications do you have to do to your garage floor for that? If you have a 2-car garage (one with a double-wide door), could you theoretically install Max Jax in the center, work on a car, and then store it and still park 2 cars in the garage?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
8/23/17 12:50 p.m.

A member on another car board had a Kwik Lift, and reported on it some years ago. For personal use, doing occasional maintenance or service on cars, it seemed like a good deal - it was relatively inexpensive, and could be put out of the way when not in use. I can see where it would be inconvenient for regular use in a shop environment.

Snrub
Snrub Reader
8/23/17 1:39 p.m.
dj06482 wrote:
Snrub wrote: I have a set of these, they're an interesting alternative. http://myliftstand.com/
What was the pricing on those? I can't seem to find it on the website or Facebook page?

I believe you would need to contact them to find out. I'm not certain what they cost, I received them as a gift.

AWSX1686
8/23/17 1:44 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote: I've been eyeing the Max Jax for a while. What modifications do you have to do to your garage floor for that? If you have a 2-car garage (one with a double-wide door), could you theoretically install Max Jax in the center, work on a car, and then store it and still park 2 cars in the garage?

That is my understanding!

Alternatively I have heard that a some people leave one in place and just move the other one out of the way when not in use. (Obviously not if it is in the middle of the shop...)

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/17 1:45 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote: I've been eyeing the Max Jax for a while. What modifications do you have to do to your garage floor for that? If you have a 2-car garage (one with a double-wide door), could you theoretically install Max Jax in the center, work on a car, and then store it and still park 2 cars in the garage?

No modifications necessary as long as your floor is thick enough (four inches if I recall correctly).

And putting the Max Jax in the center of a two car garage is actually a really cool idea. Mine is in one of the end bays of my three car garage. If I decide to keep it after getting a four post lift, I'll just turn the inside post 180 degrees, get a few more anchors and use the Max Jax in the center bay.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/23/17 2:03 p.m.

All lifts seems to have the positives and negatives. So far, I've been happy with my scissor lifts, although they have their drawbacks as well.

My ex- bought a QuickJack but was disappointed to find out it won't work on either of her classic cars (Spitfire or 1800ES) as the pads don't line up with the jacking points of the car (it's works great on the uni-body cars), which is annoying since those are the cars she works on most often.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/24/17 8:20 a.m.
Snrub wrote:
dj06482 wrote:
I believe you would need to contact them to find out. I'm not certain what they cost, I received them as a gift.

I received a quote from them, the stands are $275/pr ($550 for 4). Shipping is from 60442, shipping weight is 37 lbs a stand, they recommended going to UPS.com for a quote. In my case, shipping was another $160.

They look great and the reviews are great, but they're way out of my budget.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
8/24/17 5:38 p.m.

I am way into the myliftstands but they were out of my price range after getting 4 and paying for shipping.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/6/17 6:19 a.m.

Here's a used Kwik Lift setup for $600 if anyone actually wants a set.

paulmpetrun
paulmpetrun Reader
9/7/17 11:00 a.m.
AWSX1686

Interesting to hear your feedback. They certainly looked more helpful than they sound now. I may just ahve to go back to looking into a MaxJax.

Maxjax are on sale right now for $1699...  Just saying wink  I really need to dig deep and order one!

Good luck

Paul

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TtrMYUBa8DLPps5ADme6gIgMTNuw0wjn4OdKH9TqBvtg7HSU3Ylk0aW2UURCKqaf