Sultan
Sultan New Reader
3/30/09 10:51 p.m.

I'm not sure how many of you follow these cars but both seem to be aimed at the same market. If you were going to build one which would you do and why?

Thanks for your thoughts.

http://www.midlana.com/

http://www.grabercars.com/

mtn
mtn Dork
3/30/09 10:54 p.m.

They're both FWD? No comprende.

The second one is prettier, the first one is cooler... which is cheaper which would perform better?

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/30/09 10:59 p.m.

La Bala was, IIRC, originally conceived on these boards...check the archives for a guy whose handle was "sgraber". Definitely Mid engine rear drive.

JoeyM
JoeyM New Reader
3/30/09 11:22 p.m.
psteav wrote: La Bala was, IIRC, originally conceived on these boards...check the archives for a guy whose handle was "sgraber". Definitely Mid engine rear drive.

Both of those guys are really active on locostusa.com. Steve also uses 'sgraber' on that forum. The other guy goes by 'KB58'

Sultan
Sultan New Reader
3/30/09 11:31 p.m.

I spend a lot of time on Locost USA...

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
3/30/09 11:40 p.m.
mtn wrote: They're both FWD? No comprende.

No, they both use FWD drivetrains moved behind the passengers to create an MR. Much the same as Toyota did with the MR2 (Corolla and Camry drivetrain donors) and GM with the Fiero (Cavalier donor).

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/30/09 11:41 p.m.

KB58 is the fellow who built Kimini - which was on the cover of GRM a few years back. Both interesting, and I think Midlana's builder learned a whole lot about design from Kimini.

Luke
Luke Dork
3/31/09 12:19 a.m.
Sultan wrote: If you were going to build one which would you do and why?

I'd build the MidLana. Because it's slightly lighter, more purposeful looking, has a full roll cage, and I think it would make for a better track-day toy. It also reminds me of the 'Fang F1', a sports car/kit car by a (sort of) well known, low-volume Australian manufacturer called Nota.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

However, before either of those two, I'd prefer to build a Lotus-7 replica.

mtn
mtn Dork
3/31/09 1:09 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
mtn wrote: They're both FWD? No comprende.
No, they both use FWD drivetrains moved behind the passengers to create an MR. Much the same as Toyota did with the MR2 (Corolla and Camry drivetrain donors) and GM with the Fiero (Cavalier donor).

Ahh.... I knew I was missing something stupid there.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/31/09 8:20 a.m.

There is also dpcars.net

AWD hayabusa power FTW!

mainlandboy
mainlandboy New Reader
4/1/09 2:49 a.m.

Since completing my Locost in 2007, I have been planning on building a scratch-built mid engine low cost sports car.

What I like about the Midlana is that the simple body work suggests that it would be easy to build and could be built for less money than La bala

What I like about La bala is that it looks more like a "real" sports car.

I decided that I am going to build something of my own design with the following constraints in mind:

a) No fiberglass bodywork (messy and time consuming)

b) Ease of build and low cost as a priority

I have been working on the computer model for a few months now. Here is how it looks so far:

http://picasaweb.google.com/marktsui1975/MarkSMIDIXMidEngineLocost#

Mark

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TOnZwqcrUgF3ZWZJLUbanlJKO0amOSXYXhQRoh6Kp5HapnvJluMqiCJV29meIPD8