1 2
DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
2/11/12 12:44 p.m.
Keith wrote:
Derick Freese wrote: That's true, the F20C is a pretty tall motor. I'd have no problem with a new transmission tunnel, though.
You'll end up with the shifter back by the rear axle :)

You should be able to fix that with a shifter modified like a Shelby Cobra.

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
2/11/12 1:34 p.m.

Lancia Scorpion any day, cannot deny the wedge.

9 second Opel GT video I shot this fall: http://youtu.be/CMvzhiQozhE?t=26s

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
2/11/12 2:25 p.m.

Opel swap shifter position fix:

Just turn it the other way (put body mounted shifter in front of the transmission part, run the rod forward).

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
2/11/12 7:49 p.m.

In reply to Curmudgeon:

I've seen that set-up a 100 times, but I still can't wrap my brain around how it actually shifts the transmission and doesn't just flex like mad.

If based on performance, probably the Lancia... but if based on desire, I gotta go with the Opel. I've always liked those.

I wonder how well a rotary could fit in a GT?

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
2/11/12 8:14 p.m.

The secret is the two ends of the rod have rigid bushings, not rod ends. Whichever way the remote shift lever goes, the rear one will too. Works like a charm. The first one I saw in real life was in the Thunder Midget at the '06 Challenge, it worked great.

Rotary Opel GT: BTDT. You need to build a header for it because there is no way the stock cast iron manifold will work. The engine will easily fit under the hood, EFI intake and all. The radiator mounting area is pretty dang small, an aluminum 'Scirocco' radiator like the drag race guys use is the best solution. I think a Jeep Cherokee radiator could be mounted way down low in the front but I'm not seeing a real big reason to go to all that trouble.

On the RX7 transmission, it's easy to move the shifter forward about 4" and that puts it in a good spot. I have done this on three different transmissions, it's easy. I moved my engine way back because I wanted the whole thing behind the front axle centerline, this got the bellhousing too close to the floorpan on the drivers side which meant sheet metal modifications. If you aren't really concerned about that and scoot the engine forward a couple of inches, there will be minimal interference between the engine and firewall.

The Opel has a cable clutch, you'll need to modify the stock clutch pedal for a clevis hole and reinforce the firewall so you can mount a clutch master cylinder, it's a snug fit and will require dinging the inner fender to clear the clutch M/C. Or, as I did on my rotary J-H, you can make a mechanism to let the RX7 clutch fork work with a cable setup. That takes some fabrication but is not what I'd call difficult.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
2/11/12 10:40 p.m.

The Opel is TINY. Makes a Miata feel big. Friend of mine had one back in the day...

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
2/11/12 10:52 p.m.

Swmbo also votes Scorpion fwiw.

FlightService
FlightService SuperDork
2/12/12 7:54 a.m.

This one isn't so close as the last one. Fiat wins

FlightService
FlightService SuperDork
2/12/12 7:55 a.m.

Meant to say Lancia LOL

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
2/12/12 3:52 p.m.
oldopelguy wrote: Give me an Opel Manta over both.

The winner.......

one for the box flare crowd...

The first genertion Manta was one of the prettiest econo Euro rides out there.... remember 1970

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/12/12 4:22 p.m.

that's funny.. my Father brought a Kadett Rally car over from Europe that he bought new there.. (and this was a homogulation special too, not the spotlight and tape version) and he hates the manta

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
2/12/12 5:37 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: The first genertion Manta was one of the prettiest econo Euro rides out there.... remember 1970

One of... but second to the car it was inspired by.

FlightService
FlightService SuperDork
2/12/12 6:22 p.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote:
oldeskewltoy wrote: The first genertion Manta was one of the prettiest econo Euro rides out there.... remember 1970

Love the Capri, maybe the next fight

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
2/12/12 7:06 p.m.

Lancia for me please

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
2/13/12 11:02 a.m.
FlightService wrote:
fast_eddie_72 wrote:
Love the Capri, maybe the next fight

I've owned 3 mark 1 Capris... 2 - 2600, and 1 - 2800. I very much LOVE the Capri... and its performance versions(Group 2 box flared warriors)... but the exterior styling of the 1st gen Manta is so much more sculpted. And you guys need to learn about that orange one... with the suspension poking through... boosted 5 cyl Volvo power makes that little Manta OUTRAGIOUS

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
2/13/12 3:17 p.m.

um...my sister had an Opel in HS, Lancia hands down. Sorry Opel people, but it was very unispiring, except for the cool flip over headlights! The Lancia is a sweet driving car by comparison.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
2/13/12 3:20 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: And you guys need to learn about that orange one... with the suspension poking through... boosted 5 cyl Volvo power makes that little Manta OUTRAGIOUS

I read about that car somewhere- it really is very cool.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
2/13/12 7:50 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote: um...my sister had an Opel in HS, Lancia hands down. Sorry Opel people, but it was very unispiring, except for the cool flip over headlights! The Lancia is a sweet driving car by comparison.

No worries, I agree and I own one. That I know of the only running one in our area. Those cable operated headlights are cool though. It is basically an economy car with a sports car body. They aren't nearly as fast of people claim. I think it's funny when I take mine out and people come up and say they had a friend that had one and they would peg the speedometer. Yeah right, speedo goes to 160-mph and car specs say it tops at just over 100. Starting to get irratating. Mine was given to me by my dad and 1st owner was a family friend so I have all the original paperwork and it is an all original numbers matching car. Plus it was in good shape, no rust. So I restored it. Because of history in the family and it was my first complete resto, I'll keep it. And enjoy it for what it is.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yQrusSRLhUXkCCIXHCHsO0on44liVhdWzwVpU5hdHKI0bmGygHVkEwztS5mKs1dZ