1 2 3 4
poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
7/24/12 2:38 p.m.

I live in the Mountains. No traffic, and I've started taking the "long way" home. Tons of "spirited" driving-friendly backroads. It would be nice to actually have a car that I enjoy driving to work. Worst case, the Fit is an absolute berkeleying blast to toss around, but painfully underpowered.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
7/24/12 2:42 p.m.

I honestly dont think an rsx-s is underpowered anywhere. it's decent to drive even before vtec. I would definitely recommend driving one.

Although, i think im personally more attracted to a celica GT-S. Lighter, better interior styling IMO, better handling out of the box, and less honda tax.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
7/24/12 2:50 p.m.
Vigo wrote:
The power is all in the top end, and you may find that for DD it really isn't that usable - or not.
That's ridiculous. The first time i drove a Type-S I only waited until the edge of the neighborhood to use the extra 40hp, and thats only because the owner was in the car with me. The only place you REALLY couldnt get to that power is in a school zone from 7-9 and 2-4. Its not like a 500 lb ft rwd that wont go WOT and straight ahead at the same time. That power is totally useable unless you have an ingrained neuroses about shifting before 6k rpm.

Not ridiculous. A large part of the power increase is due to VTEC, which doesn't kick in until 5800 RPM on the Type S. I didn't say he could never use the power, only that it may not be usable enough in a daily commute to justify the price and possible increased gas cost.
In addition, horsepower is a function of torque and RPM. The base has 140 lb-ft of torque and the S has an almost identical 142, peaking a huge 1900 RPM higher than the base car. That means that the 40 horsepower is a result of RPM, supported by the fact that the S has peak power 1100 RPM higher than the base car.
It will vary from person to person, but in my commute, I rarely have the chance to redline my car.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
7/24/12 2:51 p.m.

Gearing is majorly different as well, though.

A Type S is faster than a Base everywhere, not just in vtec.

I'm with Vigo on the Celica comments, though. It's just a more fun car.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
7/24/12 2:57 p.m.

In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac:

I never said it wasn't fun, or the better car for that matter. I was just pointing out something so that the OP had something else to consider.
I've driven both versions extensively, and they are no different that most Honda products. The majority of the power is in the high RPM range, and if you look at the figures in my post above, they clearly support that. It's the same with any base Honda and the Si version, if VTEC equipped. It was the same with the Integra and GS-R, and the TL and the TL-S. They don't feel the same, but they feel very simlar until the VTEC (and sometimes intake) kicks in.

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/24/12 3:00 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac: I never said it wasn't fun, or the better car for that matter. I was just pointing out something so that the OP had something else to consider. But I've driven both versions extensively, and they are no different that most Honda products. The majority of the power is in the high RPM range, and if you look at the figures in my post above, they clearly support that.

Oh sure, not arguing. (I'm not your favorite forum sparring partner )

It really depends on what sort of commute he has.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UltraDork
7/24/12 3:11 p.m.

My son's RSX base (Premium) has been a good car, but you already know that. With a header, exhaust, intake and tune, it's really woken it up. It was pretty lame as a car with sporty pretensions, but it's respectable now. It's soulless and not particularly comfortable (but not terribly uncomfortable), rides a little firmer than I think it should, and oddly doesn't handle all that well either, but so far has been reliable. He did have to replace 1 drive axle and ball joints at about 70k. I could tell you what I'd recommend for that money that's better in every single way (by a lot) than an RSX, but I won't because you've already decided on an RSX, but it ends in SS.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
7/24/12 3:12 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Gearing is majorly different as well, though. A Type S is faster than a Base everywhere, not just in vtec. I'm with Vigo on the Celica comments, though. It's just a more fun car.

The Base 5-speed transmission is geared more aggressively than the Type-S 6-speed.

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/24/12 3:14 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Gearing is majorly different as well, though. A Type S is faster than a Base everywhere, not just in vtec. I'm with Vigo on the Celica comments, though. It's just a more fun car.
The Base 5-speed transmission is geared more aggressively than the Type-S 6-speed.

Really? That surprises me... The Type S felt tighter when i drove it.

Any idea where i could find the gearing numbers without having to log in to Hondatech?

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UltraDork
7/24/12 3:17 p.m.

Probably Club RSX

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
7/24/12 3:27 p.m.

Having a really hard time finding a GT-S on CL that's not riced-out/clapped-out.

rwdsport
rwdsport Reader
7/24/12 3:33 p.m.

I would recommend an 8th gen Si Sedan. Stupid reliable and some improvements over the RSX, like an LSD (a big plus in my books). Really fun to drive, marvel of an engine. Back seats are actually useful.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
7/24/12 3:41 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: I'm not your favorite forum sparring partner

What? That is so untrue! I LOVE YOU, MAN!!!!

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/24/12 3:45 p.m.
bravenrace wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: I'm not your favorite forum sparring partner
What? That is so untrue! I LOVE YOU, MAN!!!!

You're WRONG because one person told me otherwise at some point and you clearly have no idea what you're talking about!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
7/24/12 3:51 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote:

Not really. Make sure you look at the final drive.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=472588

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/MJ23FE/Tranny%20Gear%20Calculations/K-SeriesTransmissionTablev3-28-08re.jpg

I recall seeing some discussion suggesting that the base RSX would actually be the faster STF autocross car. Lighter and better gearing.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
7/24/12 3:53 p.m.
I could tell you what I'd recommend for that money that's better in every single way (by a lot) than an RSX, but I won't because you've already decided on an RSX, but it ends in SS.

Oh snap!

I will see your trolling and raise by:

I would recommend an 8th gen Si Sedan. Stupid reliable and some improvements over the RSX, like an LSD (a big plus in my books). Really fun to drive, marvel of an engine. Back seats are actually useful.

Speaking of 8th gen Si's it seems like 50% of the Mazda2 owners in the Mazda2 thread traded their 8th gen Si for one and are happy about it.

rwdsport
rwdsport Reader
7/24/12 4:07 p.m.
Vigo wrote:
I could tell you what I'd recommend for that money that's better in every single way (by a lot) than an RSX, but I won't because you've already decided on an RSX, but it ends in SS.
Oh snap! I will see your trolling and raise by:
Speaking of 8th gen Si's it seems like 50% of the Mazda2 owners in the Mazda2 thread traded their 8th gen Si for one and are happy about it.

Probably because its the mazda2 thread? If money is no object we are talking about a superior vehicle in every sense. Between the engines, interior/audio and outright speed there is no comparison. Its like comparing a mazda 6 to an M3. Especially considering what the OP said about the Fit. Which is very similar to the 2, whereas the Si actually has enough power to induce wheelspin.

On 8th Gen forum, most Si owners switch to WRX/STI or upgrade to Stangs/M3. Recently a few have been swapping to an FRS.

lnlds
lnlds New Reader
7/24/12 4:12 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Having a really hard time finding a GT-S on CL that's not riced-out/clapped-out.

Did you try "GTS" and GT-S". Not 100% sure but i think they yield different results.

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
7/24/12 4:23 p.m.
lnlds wrote:
poopshovel wrote: Having a really hard time finding a GT-S on CL that's not riced-out/clapped-out.
Did you try "GTS" and GT-S". Not 100% sure but i think they yield different results.

I did. And "GT" just for the heck of it...the devil lives in there!!! There are a couple decent 70's GTs. There were a couple "not terrible" looking gt-s' but I'm always looking for a diamond. Seems like the RSX demographic may be a little more "old guy" (me) There are a lot of really clean ones on CL.

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/24/12 4:24 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
DaveEstey wrote:
Not really. Make sure you look at the final drive. http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=472588 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/MJ23FE/Tranny%20Gear%20Calculations/K-SeriesTransmissionTablev3-28-08re.jpg I recall seeing some discussion suggesting that the base RSX would actually be the faster STF autocross car. Lighter and better gearing.

1st through 3rd is significantly tighter on the Type S as well.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
7/24/12 4:27 p.m.
Probably because its the mazda2 thread? If money is no object we are talking about a superior vehicle in every sense. Between the engines, interior/audio and outright speed there is no comparison. Its like comparing a mazda 6 to an M3. Especially considering what the OP said about the Fit. Which is very similar to the 2, whereas the Si actually has enough power to induce wheelspin. On 8th Gen forum, most Si owners switch to WRX/STI or upgrade to Stangs/M3. Recently a few have been swapping to an FRS.

Hey Zomby Woof, my trolling works better! nannernannernanner

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UltraDork
7/24/12 8:43 p.m.

It was not my intention to troll. I like Hondas, but have been generally underwhelmed by the RSX, and as much as my son likes his car, he has been somewhat disappointed with it's performance.

LJD
LJD New Reader
7/24/12 8:53 p.m.

The previous generation TSX with a 6-speed matched to that brilliant 2.4L is hard to beat for a fun/economical/practical DD. I still regret not buying the one I test drove a few years ago. Find one and drive it before you make a decision. You may have to stretch the budget to $11-12K though.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
7/24/12 9:06 p.m.
LJD wrote: The previous generation TSX with a 6-speed matched to that brilliant 2.4L is hard to beat for a fun/economical/practical DD. I still regret not buying the one I test drove a few years ago. Find one and drive it before you make a decision. You may have to stretch the budget to $11-12K though.

And the TSX has double wishbones :)

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
7/24/12 9:23 p.m.

Will do. Thanks guys. In other news, I'm trying to buy a limousine this weekend.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EkUo1BCVmgalrXhtn0cCa9aSMdbGfMv7Oz0ZDKiyejMhwrojNbHa4avTTAamOIL5