AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
10/28/11 9:04 a.m.

I've had this for about 20 years now... it's a 56 Velam Isetta I got from my grandfather after he passed in the early 90's. The original motor is long gone and replaced with a bombardier 309cc snowmobile engine.

it's a double rear wheel setup

I am thinking GSXR 750....

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
10/28/11 9:08 a.m.

Can you say stability

Photobucket

Otherwise, just awesome

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
10/28/11 9:10 a.m.

Already 1 step ahead of you.. 12 x 8 ATV Steel wheels

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
10/28/11 9:23 a.m.

Not real clear on this. but if "fair Market Value" applies to crap you have lying around and want to use, then that there shell is worth more than the 2012 limit. You will have to at least put a value of greater than $0.00 on the thing.

Or do I have this wrong?

Other than that, the answer is clearly an L33 swap

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
10/28/11 9:41 a.m.

If it was fair market value I couldn't go based on the shell alone... But do ya wanna see it @ the challenge or not!!! It's not as though Im @ any kind of advantage.. Mid 50's french engineering isn't exactly cutting edge!

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/28/11 10:26 a.m.

Isn't there an exhibition class at the Challenge for stuff that doesn't perzackly fit the rules?

I'm sure you're right about the disadvantage if you're running that thing on mostly stock underpinnings, but there's enough work in policing things for that event you can't expect the GRM folks to grant case-by-case exceptions.

Besides, I thought the original engineering was Italian, wasn't it? Wasn't the original Isetta that got licensed around from an Italian company called Iso? You're just trying to sneak in your secret weapon by associating it with 2CVs instead of Ferraris, aren't you?

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
10/28/11 10:36 a.m.

Mines different then the ISO's and the BMW's of the day. I won't tow it 2400 miles for an exhibition!

Chassis engineering!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/28/11 10:44 a.m.
AutoXR wrote: Mines different then the ISO's and the BMW's of the day. I won't tow it 2400 miles for an exhibition! Chassis engineering!

Then you need a value on the car to start with. If you are interested here are a few methods I might use:

-Find a comparable one for sale and use that ad as justification.

-EBay auction with a high reserve.

-Ask the board (or maybe Classic Motorsports).

-Ask the Staff.

-Ask the challenger who brought an Isetta how much he paid for his and use that value.

Good luck, I would like to see it there!

Josh

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
10/28/11 10:47 a.m.

2 stroke? I would put it on the road.

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
10/28/11 1:01 p.m.

Hey, I vote on straight line depreciated value from original for any Chassis platform that wants to compete. Can't let the sick irrational values imposed by "Collectors" get in the way of automotive mayhem.

Why should an old Vega in the barn have a chance to go to the challenge but not a cool car like this one?!

As far as getting an appraisal, take it to the scrapyard, have them weigh it, then see what they would pay; that is a "fair Market Value" as far as I am concerned.

imirk
imirk Reader
10/28/11 2:21 p.m.

Bad-ass, or something like that, extra points if your head sticks out of the sun-roof.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/28/11 2:45 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

Lol-I have been waiting for someone to use a standard IRS formula to "depreciate" a classic down to challenge value. Hey-if it's good enough for the IRS, why wouldn't it work for the challenge?

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
10/28/11 3:07 p.m.

Ill ask the powers that be. A Gixxxer 750 or 600RR would cost me around $1000 so $500 FMV would be ideal....

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
10/28/11 7:09 p.m.

$500 sounds fair to me. More than scrap, less than the sorry whiners who don't even go to the challenge would piss & moan about. I want to see it at the Challenge...with Cam in the driver's seat doing burnouts on the presidente balcony. I'm pretty sure that thing would fit in an elevator. If not, I'm sure we could figure out a pretty simple block & tackle setup.

I am sad I did not get to party with uber-wayne.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/28/11 7:16 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: ...with Cam in the driver's seat doing burnouts on the presidente balcony. I'm pretty sure that thing would fit in an elevator.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
10/28/11 7:17 p.m.

ON IT!!! Man, that was quick.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
10/28/11 7:48 p.m.
AutoXR wrote: Mines different then the ISO's and the BMW's of the day. I won't tow it 2400 miles for an exhibition! Chassis engineering!

OK I will bite. What is so different to the BMW's? I have been around a fair bit of them and just 3 months ago had to pull the trans out of a 56 bubble window to weld the broken clutch fulcrum on the transmission. The chassis looked exactly like that one.

I will have to google this. I am intrigued.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
10/28/11 8:18 p.m.

I'll give you $1 if you can beat the N600 without making the tires extend beyond the stock bodywork.

Bryce

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
10/28/11 9:12 p.m.
AutoXR wrote: I am thinking GSXR 750....

Stay 2 stroke. Go with an MXZ 800 motor

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
10/28/11 9:14 p.m.

I had been told by several bmw isetta guys that the velam was different in quite a few ways. No way I am running the stock 4" wide tires on it! I refuse to hack up any of the body work so I am gonna have to get creative in the back end.

As for cam I'm not sure he's even allowed in flordia - hopefuly time heals all wounds (lol)

Right now the monster civic is stripped to nothing and the motor is out trying to figure out why I only had 3 cyl . Gonna start collecting the parts for the Isetta and start on it in the new year

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/28/11 9:24 p.m.

Low center of gravity. Pretty please low center of gravity.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Dork
10/28/11 11:22 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: Low center of gravity. Pretty please low center of gravity.

Thats pretty dependent on how tall the driver is...

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
10/29/11 8:11 a.m.

I'm thinking dually conversion on the rear. Seriously. That rear panel (would you call it a fender?) is removable, right?

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
10/29/11 8:36 a.m.

I am going to have to crawl under it and see. Maybe just remove the real panel for autocrossing and put some good tires under it.

I found a pic of Wayne driving it.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
10/29/11 8:38 a.m.

Love it. It looks like half an egg shell .

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V38tSB34E99nJK2MXG9Tau7QZAQw84KYnZbEBMPNnXK8W75pUFhqpVTOxLLMala9