1 2 3
Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
4/21/19 9:13 a.m.

A coworker is getting her dads her dads place ready for him to move to assisted living and sell his house, and among the things that need gone is an (I believe) 73 javelin.  She says he’s owned it since the 70s and that it was “a fast car” back in the day  but that it’s not been running since she can remember. She got the below pics but they aren’t great.  I think it’s a 73 based on the marker lights and rubber over riders on the bumper.  It also appears to have the stripes and 15” wheels of the “go pack”.  

Trying to to get an idea of a) what it could be worth cleaned up running and driving, and b) what I should offer  

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
4/21/19 9:26 a.m.

It looks like it's got some kind of... rubber sheeting?  Some kind of stuff that does not breath for anything behing held down by rocks covering the cabin section of the car.  I would assume it's swiss cheese and oxide under there.  I'd give about $100.  

I think in top shape for a street car, so not some former Trans-Am racer, these are worth maybe $20k mint.  MINT.  So the above offer of a hundred bucks is more like "I had to give you something to put on the bill of sale" and not out of line.  They're kind of cool cars but I don't think they have the following of their contemporaries like the Challenger, Mustang, or Camaro.  

Hopefully Javelin comes along and gives his two cents on this.  But from the one picture shown, I see a disolving hood, and sweet shopping cart, and a humidity trap laid over a large percentage of the car.  Only purchase if you want to learn how to fix rust.

Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
4/21/19 9:49 a.m.

I already warned her that I would be offering something in the three digits.  

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/21/19 10:06 a.m.

I traded a case of beer for a rusty 73 javelin once. After i saw the car i didn't bother asking for a return of my beer. I had overpaid.

However, the hood paint is distinctive. I think only the higher end ones got that treatment. But dont quote me. 

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
4/21/19 10:06 a.m.

I had a friend who owned one. Other then the different body the car's mechanicals are the same as any earlier Javelin.  Finding body parts to make it right will be hard. So make sure that it's all there and repairable.

I prefer the early body style but these are still OK and I have seen a few "Resto-Mods" that looked great!

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/21/19 10:17 a.m.

While hard to find, a 401 (see my name?) can be made into a bad mofo.  And, regardless of what engine you have now, it will drop in so easy that a blind man could do it.  We did it to my BIL’s early YJ.  258 I6 out, 401 in in one weekend.  Used some universal motor mounts from Summit because I6 to V8 but if it’s a V8 (say 304) to start with you can even skip that.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/21/19 10:39 a.m.

Looks like some seriously thick filler on the hood, which would seem to indicate a repaint and certainly some body damage.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/21/19 11:05 a.m.

Pull it out and look over it real good before planing too much.  If its in bad shape (which can be a matter of opinion)  and you don't want it, at least get it advertised to a group of AMC fans. Could still be a source of valuable parts.

Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
4/21/19 11:06 a.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Go pack and amx came with fiberglass cowl induction hoods, so that’s likely cracked gel coat/fiberglass

shea supposed to get me some better pics while she’s over for Easter this weekend of the rear and interior so I’ll be able to see if it’s an amx or not

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/21/19 11:42 a.m.

Based on that picture alone i’m offering $200 and adjusting from there based on more.  It’s likely a parts car at this point.  

I’m cheap but try to be fair in situations like this, it’s how I got my 57 chevy for under challenge budget.  Friend’s dad downsized to almost assisted living and left her to deal with the house and garage full of stuff.  

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/21/19 11:58 a.m.

The fact that its got plastic covering it means it was leaking badly too. $200 could be a fair offer really

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/21/19 1:12 p.m.

That's a non-AMX 73-74 grill. The hood stripe is an AMX stripe, but the hood appears to be a flat Javelin hood (AMX has a cowl induction hood), at this angle it's hard to tell. 

That's definitely a parts car. You can't buy replacement steel for the big body cars other than floors and trunks.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
4/21/19 1:43 p.m.

I can only see one photo, so I have no idea if it is saveable or not.    But from that one photo, it definitely looks like a (damaged) cowl hood to me.

If it is in TX, I would probably offer $400 based on that single photo and the coworker's info, if you think it is correct.  I really doubt I could lose at that price if complete.  2nd gen Javelins are going up in price, unfortunately, which is a shame, as I should have bought a $1000 rust free one last year from the guy I bought Chico the Street Eagle from.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/21/19 3:13 p.m.

What country is that front plate?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/21/19 4:26 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:

What country is that front plate?

Looks like a Texas plate to me.

Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
4/21/19 8:13 p.m.

It’s a Texas car. Javelin - according to Wikipedia, the go pack cars came with those stripes and the fiberglass cowl induction hood. They also came with either the 360 or 401, 15” wheels, and a limited slip diff. 

Javelin
4/21/19 8:29 p.m.

In reply to Strizzo :

Do you have any other photos of the car at all? The hood does look to be an AMX cowl unit (the Go Pack cars had funtional cowl induction, but all AMX's had the hood itself) but it could easily be reproduction. The lack of the AMX grill is very telling, they are stupid expensive and not reproduced. They actually have a complete 71 Javelin grill behind the mesh. 

The wheels do appear to be AMC 15" "Rallye" wheels, but those were available nearly across the entire lineup and for years. 

If it is an AMX, the prices are all over the map. High values are 401 cars, especially with 4-speeds, and Pierre Cardin interior cars. It could be a 304 2bbl car and still be an AMX in 73/74. VIN would be great!

Again though, not one single piece of body metal is repopped for these. That's why I sold mine. 

Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
4/21/19 8:43 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Coworker is supposed to get me pics of the rest of it this weekend, as well as pics of the interior. Given how long it’s been since it was on the road, I’m not sure how much swapping around might have happened. Pics of the rear will reveal if it’s an amx since it would have the duck tail and badging.  If the interior is in good enough shape to clean up and drive without needing extra vaccinations, I’d like to get it running and play around with it a bit, especially if it’s a 4 speed car. 

They don’t have to get it gone till later this year, so I’m not going to rush into getting this bought, mainly since I have nowhere to put it really. There is also a late 70s Lincoln mk?? That ran more recently. 

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
4/21/19 10:15 p.m.
Javelin said:

Again though, not one single piece of metal is repopped for these. That's why I sold mine. 

https://www.c2cfabrication.com/collections/amc-javelin-parts 

Javelin
4/21/19 11:13 p.m.

In reply to Strizzo :

It's pretty common to see real AMX's sporting Javelin grills because of the insanely high replacement costs.

It's equally common to see Javelins wearing faux hoods and ducktails because they look cooler.

Get the VIN. Should be a fun car to fix up as long as it's not too rusty. 

Javelin
4/21/19 11:15 p.m.
Cooter said:
Javelin said:

Again though, not one single piece of metal is repopped for these. That's why I sold mine. 

https://www.c2cfabrication.com/collections/amc-javelin-parts 

The only outer body part that's 71-4 specific that they even list is the rear quarter panels, and their photos don't look anything like a Javelin quarter at all of any year. 

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
4/22/19 7:32 a.m.

It's worth further investigation.  If you can get if for peanuts, it still may have some value parting it out or selling complete--at a profit--to someone with strong AMC allegiances (plenty of groups on FB etc).  I think a 'complete' basket case car could still fetch  $1500-2000 if it is "cleaned up"...especially if it is a legit AMX trim package car.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/22/19 8:56 a.m.

I had a 73 Hornet Sportabout wagon in nearly mint condition.  It had 7400 miles (not a typo) and was garage kept in South Carolina.  It was a time capsule with nylon tires and hadn't been operated since the late 70s.

I paid $1500, drove it for a year, and sold it for $1525.

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/22/19 9:57 a.m.

Honestly, that's $200 and the favor of making it easy to get rid of.  Should you hit the jackpot later on and find it is parts-worthy gold, you can always go back and give them a cut of the final later.  But to speculate up front, not a good play.

Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
4/22/19 10:55 a.m.

Ok, more pics.  Looks like it may be a 72, and has the amx duck tail spoiler. Interior looks in better shape than I expected, but will have to see in person to be sure, probably has had some water in those floors.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hp16CdGmXgAGH5FDM2oqygejUBSUhNsrTLNvC3cQzTbnHFHmjeq7rTAFUz5fmTui