mrwillie
mrwillie Reader
9/12/10 11:01 p.m.

Found a 1976 corolla for around $500. All I know about them is that they're RWD, and the 2T-C takes alot of boost. Supposedly, the body is in decent shape, but I haven't found out what that means yet. Would this make a decent fun daily w/o a motor swap or a turbo added?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Reader
9/12/10 11:38 p.m.

Boofrickinyeah

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Reader
9/13/10 6:31 a.m.

About a million years ago my college roommate had what I think was a '74. It was a stick, maybe 4-speed? Thing was dog slow but wouldn't break. We tried.

If economy and reliability are your first priorities, I would think it would make an excellent DD.

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Dork
9/13/10 7:40 a.m.

I had a "78" sr5 lift back. the car was very fun to drive. If I had a chance I would get a neither one in a heart beat.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
9/13/10 7:44 a.m.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mrwillie
mrwillie Reader
9/13/10 8:49 a.m.

Do they rust as bad as the datsuns from that time frame? And is there anything I need to look for when I look at this? I'm kinda done w/ major mods for awhile 'cause I got caught in the "While I'm in there, I might as well fix this" syndrome on my current project car. Would this be a dog to drive if I didn't do the suspension and engine mods immediately?

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
9/13/10 8:52 a.m.
mrwillie wrote: Would this make a decent fun daily w/o a motor swap or a turbo added?

I drove an '82 Wagon as my daily for about three years (up until a couple of months ago).

Mine had a 3TC...but close enough. It's NOT a powerful engine...but it was a fun car to drive. You won't be doing any stoplight racing with it in stock form.

I didn't look to see where you are...but the car will have rust. How much...well that depends on you area...but know to look for it.

My TE/AE cars have rust but nothing that has kept them from functioning as a vehicle (No structural rust-through that I've found).

They feel light and get around really well.

mrwillie
mrwillie Reader
9/13/10 5:00 p.m.

I live in North Carolina. I had a 1981 datsun wagon and still kick myself for selling it. Granted I'm alittle older now and have grown to like the merits of A/C, I still would like another light, quick car from that period. Just not ready for any major power upgrades, or rust repair right now. This looks like a hard sell to the wife, anyway. I think I'm gonna pass. Thanks again for the info, everybody.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/1935161717.html

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g14yvy36FqktoPkt1WENb28ToMNvjmNM1IA1tEDVpHHaoSoi0qcziVuhvTR55aLR