Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/18/17 2:57 p.m.

So I picked up Joe's 81 Champ a few months ago, and I'm finally at a point where I can start spending some quality time with it. Got to poking around at it today making a mental list of what needs to be addressed, and I'm trying to figure out what kind of rear suspension is under this car.?!?!?!? I'm lost with it. It's got springs at the rear tires, but I can't find shock absorbers under the rear of it, and I don't see mounting points in the rear of the car for them either.  It looks like a torsion axle for a trailer with springs added just in board of the rear tires. Rock auto lists shock absorbers for the rear, and my assumption is struts for the front being FWD. 

I realized that everything for this car was likely going to have to be fabricated, but I've got to figure out what it is to begin with before I can start trying to make it work better.  Haven't had it in the air yet, as I was just spending the day poking around at some things around here chilling out. Work sucked way too much this week. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/18/17 5:08 p.m.

When I was looking a Starquests, I realized no one makes anything for these. I'd imagine, the more obscure the worse it'll be.

Mr. Lee
11/18/17 6:16 p.m.

I get that it's obscure, but what KIND of suspension is it? I can adjust springs, I can fab coil over mounts. Obscure doesn't bother me. It's the "WTF is that" that is berking with my head right now.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
11/18/17 6:44 p.m.

Rockauto shows the rear shocks as conventional double eyelet style. Can you post a picture of the rear suspension? I haven't found one online yet.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
11/18/17 6:50 p.m.

Can you get us a pic with the wheel off? Pretty sure i could figure it out, but not sure i can find pics of that rear suspension on the internet..

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
11/18/17 7:26 p.m.

My copy of "Motor Import Car Repair Manual" shows the lower shock mount as a pair of tabs welded to the top of the axle between the coil spring and the brake backing plate. The diagram doesn't show what the upper shock eyelets bolt to. The axle appears to be a two piece affair, split in the center.

Mr. Lee
11/18/17 11:59 p.m.

I'll revive this when I can get it in the air, I was scoping it out from ground level (13" tires do not give you much room to poke your noggin under a car)

I think I figured out what it it is. 

That's what I was expecting to see under there, and it is what I saw. Just with no shock/strut, the no shock absorbers anywhere was screwing with my head. I'll look again tomorrow without a wheel on there. 

Mr. Lee
11/19/17 12:09 a.m.

Wrong again... Twist beam seems to fit the bill even better. 

Mr. Lee
11/19/17 12:51 a.m.

Per Allpar "

MacPherson-type strut front suspension with shock absorbers mounted within coil springs is standard on all Colt models. Lower control arm rear bushings have asymmetrical spring characteristics for stability and an excellent ride. Colt's rear suspension is "U" shaped with two trailing arms and struts (shock absorbers)-with improved rubber bushings and progressive rate springs for a compliant ride. The trailing arms carry the spindles for the rear wheels. The struts are mounted adjacent to the coil springs with lower mounts bolted to the trailing arms and upper mounts bolted to the car structure. A Sport Suspension with higher rate springs, front and rear antisway bars and gas-pressurized front shock absorbers is included in the Turbo Packages avail­able on the Colt DL 3-door hatchback and on Colt Premier 4-door sedan.

Although designed for different purposes, Colt and Colt Vista both have versions of strut and coil spring indepen­dent front suspension and trailing arm rear suspension with coil springs and shock absorbers. Both vehicles have front and rear antisway bars to add stability to the ride."

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
11/19/17 10:20 a.m.

I got impatient.

What it looks like to me is a pointlessly overcomplicated twist beam that is split in the middle and allowed to articulate, with a separate swaybar for roll control. In other words, a stupid mistake that must have been caught pretty quickly and has never been made again. It seems to have no advantage over the similar looking and much simpler twist beam with integral roll stiffness found in a same-year Omni/Horizon.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
11/19/17 1:36 p.m.

In reply to Vigo :

That's the diagram from my "Motor' manual. I'd be curious to see one of those axles dismantled.

Mr. Lee
11/19/17 1:49 p.m.

In reply to Vigo :

That's it. I didn't see the shocks, but that's definitely the axle. Raining today, otherwise I would be out there jacking it up.

impulsive
impulsive Reader
11/19/17 3:25 p.m.

that's the same as Hyundai Excel/Scoupe rear.

Superpro makes poly bushings for the arm ends where they mounts up to the body. there were a few lowering spring sets out from B+G, Intrax, Vogtland. I have Koni shocks & strut inserts on mine but I think they are nla.

Whiteline made a rear bar, not in the catalog anymore but I inquired and was told they could make me one.

adapter brackets, calipers, hubs, rotors from either 94-95 Elantra or 89-94-ish Colt/Summit/Mirage to convert to rear disc brakes.

there's a photo here of the rear suspension off the car:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/3503/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3YrqezTkkqCc2ZfDncTZsmY3o5VToal28IFDKb5RpKds2f1fqWGuGiqht6N2AP3c