mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
9/29/15 4:25 p.m.

Specifically the 1987 924s. I like the body style on these, but realized today that I don't know much about them. Apparently they all didn't have the vw engine like I first thought.

This is wishful thinking right now, but are these a "poor man's porche", or and can they be compared to a 2door, rwd golf even? What are the trouble areas w/ these?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/29/15 4:33 p.m.

The "S" has the same (Porsche) engine as the 944, not the VW/Audi based engine the regular 924 has. They retain the 924 interior and dash.

At least the first year ones are a little down on power compared to the 944, but IIRC that's ECU programming only. They're slightly faster top-speed wise than a 944 due to the narrower body if they have the same whp.

All the 944 mechanical caveats apply - clutches are expensive, timing belts need to be changed rather often etc etc.

IME the problem is finding a good one, they're pretty rare and most of the ones I found had been well used up.

Bruce
Bruce GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/29/15 4:39 p.m.

After 1982, the 924 became the 924S and was a way for Porsche to use up left over 924 bodies with 944 drivetrains and suspension.

So they are essentially early 944's in a tight dress.

The 88 SE version was the best of the 924S with the 160hp 2.5L, less weight and fewer options. Pretty rare, but a great version if you can find them.

http://clarks-garage.com has a ton of info on the 944, much of which applies to the 924 and 924S.

Get one with as much documentation as you can, especially the timing belt and water pump.

Dashes will all have cracks. All of them.

Grounds and electrical connectors commonly corrode and cause weird issues, a good cleaning and protection with petroleum jelly or electrical connector grease will keep that at bay.

Otherwise, they are generally pretty easy to work on, there's still a good aftermarket for repair, modification and many are still racing competitively.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
9/29/15 4:47 p.m.

Pelican and clark's garage are great reference sites.

See that Bruce already linked to Clark's

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/29/15 4:52 p.m.

Ironically the next issue's Vintage Views is about this very car.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
9/29/15 5:21 p.m.

What everyone else said. It's basically an early 944 without the flares. Challenge pro driver Alan has one he might be willing to sell. If you go, you might ask him about it. It has a bullet hole and everything for extra street cred!

mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
9/30/15 8:53 a.m.

:-) I'm too old and settled to care about street cred.

Thanks for the info, though. These will stay on my bucket list for now.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
9/30/15 9:41 a.m.

This one looks nice..

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/5208318283.html

EricM
EricM SuperDork
10/3/15 5:06 p.m.

Hi, I had a 1987 924s back in the day. (Also had a 1987 944 for a while)

Get a DME relay and keep it in the glove box. Front of engine, just like every other water cooled Porsche of that era needs attention (timing belt, water pump, balance shaft rollers)

Power stearing leaks, don't try to get a manual rack, rather just rebuild the power steering pump and get new hoses.

Those are for starters, let me know if you have any specific questions.

For look sees: [URL=http://s371.photobucket.com/user/43577/media/924/PICT0187.jpg.html][/URL]

The 944  photo DSC01909.jpg

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YGLzE0WgwyHTMjaWIiIkqBOK9ouLkV4Fo5ruDAWQ80y2N62MlBLicXaTRJ8siKZY