92dxman
92dxman Reader
5/30/09 9:00 a.m.

I can thank Jim for this one. A neon was posted over on the BABE board and it looks very enticing for the price. I almost bought one a few years ago but backed out. Besides the usual head gaskets, how are Neons? This is a 96 coupe I found..

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
5/30/09 9:13 a.m.

They are good if you maintain them like a real car, if you treat them like a throwaway POS then thats what they will be. Pretty much you will need to replace the head gasket (but only if its still the original, if it was fixed ie replaced with MLS already its fine), change the water pump and timing belt unless you are looking forward to replacing the valves, and probably change the motor mounts and shifter bushings too. Other than that they are just like any other car really.

Rick
Rick New Reader
5/31/09 5:51 p.m.

Travis_K's advice is excellent. I heard replacing the front suspension bushing really helps high mileage Neons, I think GRM mentioned one bushing specifically but I don't remember which one. Neons.org is a good resource also. I've seen Neons rust at the doors and some at the front of the hood. If they leak in the trunk one of the rear tail light gaskets has failed.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MEydqcsoWOimqbymuHLnZ91tPS7pTPehoT3y0PoVLgPMEM2HLdf3wEdB2zcsWbDi