1 2
rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
4/28/17 2:37 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn:

160hp means they were most likely using the later, higher-output 20V 4A-GE instead of the 16V 4A-GE used in the AE86.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/28/17 3:38 p.m.

I found this during my morning Craigslist search today:

1986 Corolla SR5, completely stock, $5500

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
4/28/17 3:42 p.m.
rslifkin wrote: In reply to stuart in mn: 160hp means they were most likely using the later, higher-output 20V 4A-GE instead of the 16V 4A-GE used in the AE86.

I'm not sure that HP rating is correct, I've seen lower numbers published elsewhere. As far as I know they used the 20 valve engine, but they had twin Webers, higher compression, and maybe some other internal stuff.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
4/28/17 7:00 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn:

The stock 20V made about 160, so if they tweaked them a bit, they should have been making that or more.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/28/17 9:24 p.m.

This is from a WSR, and it sure looks like a 16-valve to me. Stock 4A-GE 16-valves aren't very powerful, but they respond quite well to a compression bump, cams and careful degreeing, a bit of head/intake work, and lightweight pulleys/flywheel. My current 16-valve hasn't seen the dyno yet, but it has all of the previous sentence, and the target is 150hp at the wheels. For the WSR with DCOEs and corresponding manifold, headers, and presumably higher compression, 165hp is very easy to believe.

For a stock or very mild tune, I think the 20-valve is tough to beat, especially given the prices for good running late 16-valves (the best factory 16-valve, known as redtops, smallports, and/or high-comps.) Once you commit to building the internals and/or ditching the stock ECU, I feel like the early 16-valve (known as bluetops or largeports) is a great canvas. It has intake ports that were too big from the factory, the aftermarket is really massive, and the path to big N/A power is well known.

Many Formula Atlantics used to run 16-valve 4A-GEs which were heavily built. They got about 240-some hp normally-aspirated with carbs, and 270-some with fuel injection. Getting to that output isn't cheap, but it isn't untrodden territory.

Once again, if anyone wants even more detail, I'm happy to oblige.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O27sHoGYABKID2pvsxFUog4XFUFI6VfopbbxTgz5CQdT82mq6LYuWn3Iht7LzYd3