jsquared
jsquared Reader
9/18/14 8:13 a.m.

So, I've looked into auto transport services briefly about 5 yrs ago when I was car shopping, but don't remember most of what I found out I have someone interested in buying my trailer, but he's cross-country, and would need it shipped.

Anyone have recommendations/stay-away-froms on companies? I know there will probably be a fee since it's not "operable" and it's oversize, but the light weight (listed as 1350lbs) might mitigate that somewhat. And any further suggestions/guidance will be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

jsquared
jsquared Reader
9/18/14 5:12 p.m.

...anybody? I flipped through a whole issue of GRM and couldn't find any transport companies advertised, so I'm relying on the hive! (Granted its the Feb '14 issue... I'm playing catch-up on my unread car mags while I'm on deployment). I'd prefer to go to a known good-guy company than try to whittle down all the various companies on the web and dodge spam emails all day.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
9/19/14 8:59 a.m.

I have no experience with these things, but it must be a REALLY good deal to justify shipping a trailer across the country.

jsquared
jsquared Reader
9/19/14 2:21 p.m.

It's one of those shipping-included-in-the-offer situations. From what I remember a few years ago, if it were a car, I'd be willing to accept the offer or something close to it, but I don't know what prices are these days or how much more/less it would be for the size/"not running" issue.

jsquared
jsquared Reader
9/29/14 3:53 p.m.

AAAnybody? I have contacted a few places and have gotten no response, rather crap if your quote page results in no quotes five business days later Anyone know any reputable companies that do something like this?

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
9/29/14 3:56 p.m.

I've used U-ship for cars, motorcycles, engines, etc, so that's where I'd start.

pirate
pirate Reader
9/29/14 7:27 p.m.

If you have a respectable local (I know! I know!) used car lot or a auto broker who buys cars at auctions for resale to used car dealers go talk to them. These guys use independent drivers to move cars from auctions to dealers and may be able to provide you with a contact or include a car you might want shipped if close to a major car auction.

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/29/14 7:41 p.m.

To me a trailer is not auto transportation but rather cargo. You need someone with a flatbed trailer and a way to load and unload yours from his. I would start at U-ship. Not complicated, you just need to find the right guy. If I was an auto transporter and you asked me to move a trailer, I might not reply either since it's not my normal business.

jstand
jstand Reader
9/30/14 5:54 a.m.

Where is it leaving and where is it going?

I have a contact that hauls cars and is based out of FL. He goes as far west as Vegas and Salt lake, and north to New England.

The problem you may run into with car haulers is that the trailer will take as much space as a car, so it will be priced the same or higher ( more aggravation).

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
9/30/14 7:30 a.m.
jstand wrote: Where is it leaving and where is it going? I have a contact that hauls cars and is based out of FL. He goes as far west as Vegas and Salt lake, and north to New England. The problem you may run into with car haulers is that the trailer will take as much space as a car, so it will be priced the same or higher ( more aggravation).

I think the problem he will run into is a trailer is wider than a car. It would need to get shipped on an equipment hauling trailer, which I imagine being more expensive.

lgb240
lgb240
9/30/14 7:43 a.m.

Try an rv dealer. They have guys with trucks on call that will tow their campers all over the map.

jstand
jstand Reader
9/30/14 8:32 a.m.

In reply to HiTempguy:

That would definitely limit where someone could place it on a trailer, it wouldn't fit in the belly of a trailer.

It is still only 102" wide at most. So fitting on the tail or upper deck may be possible (depending on the axle width), but a PIA to load.

I find it hard to imagine the economics work out unless it's an amazing deal.

jsquared
jsquared Reader
9/30/14 10:38 a.m.

I'm the seller, potential buyer is in San Diego and I'm in Jacksonville, NC If I could get it shipped for $1,000 or less I'd probably do it for the current other, otherwise I'd need to make a counteroffer. It's the only serious offer I've gotten in the month and a half it's been for sale so I'm looking into my options (for sale on here and rennlist... I need to put it on craigslist).

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/30/14 11:18 a.m.

When I bought my sailplane, it was moved from Sacremento, Ca. to near Albany, NY for $1800. They picked up the whole 30 ft. trailer and put it up. My wife wanted to fly and drive it back, but a cross country trip with a trailer of unknown maintenence histy scares me.

It was a husband wife team doing the driving, unfortunately I don't recall their name. If you can blow up the photo, there's a name and number on the truck.

I used a "national carrier" to move a car from Texas to NY and again from Atlanta to NY; both experiences were horrible. It took MONTHS for them to even pick the thing up. Go with a local op.

My $0.02

Dan

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IcJxMpc3d14ZavMGrHkD2VA1xWgQr21SYk2G7o7KqBHbQiCVKywv9tSEofHK0JsJ