1 2 3
Ty_Lo95
Ty_Lo95 New Reader
3/12/12 4:54 p.m.

Ive driven an e46, and as far as "fun factor" it doesnt really come close to my e36. Im sure it actually is quite a bit quicker all around, but its definitely a very diluted quick. Being raised in go-karts that just isnt really something I want in a car I bought to have fun in. Im sure the e30 is worlds better than the e36 as far as that feel goes too. I think an e36 M3 would be that perfect mix of fun a comfort.

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
3/12/12 4:58 p.m.

I like my little e36 318ti - e36 front suspension/e30 rear suspension. It's a fun drive, but the interior materials are just crap. Right now my radio is trying really hard to leave the dash, the headliner needs to be replaced and the door trim tends to fall off. Maybe it's just trying to tell me it desperately wants to be a stripped down track rat.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/12 6:15 p.m.

headliner and door panels are typical for ALL E36s... not just the Ti.

Not sure on the radio.. mine came with a piece of E36 M3 aftermarket unit that went into the trash as soon as I got the car home

HStockSolo
HStockSolo Reader
3/12/12 6:26 p.m.

The factory E36 radios are crappy. The mid-level unit came with my 325i. Half the display is broken, and the thing only worked sporadically. They also require some special 5-sided allen to install/remove.

njansenv
njansenv Dork
3/12/12 6:41 p.m.

? I had the stock factory stereos in our M3/4/5, 328i, and now vert M3. I had to reflow the solder on the display for the 328i (15 minutes labour, including removal with an allan key), but otherwise have been happy with them all.

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
3/12/12 7:02 p.m.

The aftermarket radio is the PO's handiwork - he broke the surround so the hvac controls and radio all try to leave the dash as a unit every time I take off. Last week the hvac controls came loose - so no more heater till I sort it out. Radio must be held in only by wiring.

familytruckster
familytruckster Reader
3/12/12 7:03 p.m.

I love my ti... However, it's really trying my patience. (major exhaust issues and some other rattles)

It's a 100 buck basket case that I've put 3K into (I've replaced EVERYTHING but the trans and drive shaft, which are on the list to replace ASAP) , but it has done 2 years and 80K miles without leaving me anywhere... Once the suspension was completely redone and some sport swaybars, springs, and struts on it became a LOT more fun.

RandyS
RandyS Reader
3/12/12 7:21 p.m.
Chris_V wrote: long as you dont' get the M3, the parts are cheap, too (an OEM water pump for his 325i was $50 and took a half hour to install in the driveway. An M3 version is over $500.

Just to clarify - that must be for the E46 M3.

The E36 M3 has very few unique parts. crank/pistons, intake cam, rear trailing arms, springs, brakes, diff gear ratio, bumper covers and seats are just about all the is unqiue to the E36 M3 over the pedestrian E36 (well, I guess '95 does have a unique front control arm bushing and steering rack). As long as you don't "money shift" an E36 M3 it is very inexpensive to maintain because it shares most of it parts with a regular 3 series.

I really like my late '98 sedan as it has door airbags and the far far improved 3 spoke steering wheel.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/12/12 8:14 p.m.
RandyS wrote:
Chris_V wrote: long as you dont' get the M3, the parts are cheap, too (an OEM water pump for his 325i was $50 and took a half hour to install in the driveway. An M3 version is over $500.
Just to clarify - that must be for the E46 M3.

It must be. I bought a complete cooling system (aluminum radiator, water pump, expansion tank, hoses, t-stat, housing, belts, etc) from Bimmerzone for $400 last year for my E36 M3, and it's the same kit for all 6-cylinder E36s.

I'm kind of torn right now. I love my M3, it's in great shape and is all current with it's maintenance. It needs a few things, like one of my midrange speakers is blown and the headlights are pretty cloudy, but otherwise it's close to perfect for 131k miles. But I'm still kicking around selling it for an E30. Mostly as a money-saving move, I could get a nice 325is for probably half of what my M3 is worth, and I could use the rest of that money for other fun stuff. But I'm just not sure how the 325is will compare to the M3. Certainly it won't be as fast.

HStockSolo
HStockSolo Reader
3/12/12 8:17 p.m.

I picked up a transmission this past weekend because I sort of broke mine.

mad_machine
3/12/12 8:31 p.m.

wow.. how did you break the mounting ears off?

HStockSolo
HStockSolo Reader
3/12/12 8:55 p.m.

I dropped it on the garage floor by accident. It might have had something to do with the engine slipping off the hoist hook.

The second gear synchros weren't doing much anymore anyway. I am hoping the "new" one is in better condition. BMW used the Getrag 250 in E36/E46 318/323/325s and the E39 525i. My new one is from a 1992 325is $100 plus a $30 core charge. The M3 transmission is shared with the 328s and can be had equally cheaply.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/13/12 8:57 a.m.

Keep it coming guys, :D I love hearing opinions, it causes me to do more research! and gives me a direction to start.

RandyS
RandyS Reader
3/13/12 9:02 a.m.

The E36 M3 uses the stonger ZF 5-speed trans but so does the 328 and 528. When my 2nd gear started to whine a little is cost a whopping $400 to get a new one.

When my plastic windshield cowl cover disintegrated I purchased a brand new one from BMW for $31.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
3/13/12 9:12 a.m.
HStockSolo wrote: I dropped it on the garage floor by accident. It might have had something to do with the engine slipping off the hoist hook.

Oddly enough, I did that exact same thing once unloading and engine/trans from my truck.

If you have the ears - take the whole thing to a good welding shop and they can fix it. It cost me about $25 (only one side on mine) but the repair has held for two seasons of track/racing abuse.

EDIT: Just noticed the part about the bad syncro. Nevermind. Easier to just get a different one.

jonnyd330
jonnyd330 New Reader
3/13/12 9:22 a.m.
HStockSolo wrote: The E46 and E39 were definitely some low points for BMW styling.

I disagree with this, I think the E46 and E39 were the best styles before they started going downhill.

HStockSolo
HStockSolo Reader
3/13/12 9:28 a.m.
If you have the ears - take the whole thing to a good welding shop and they can fix it. It cost me about $25 (only one side on mine) but the repair has held for two seasons of track/racing abuse.

Yes, I have them, and I considered doing that. But I was having issues with second gear. Before I dropped it I was thinking of replacing that synchro, but it seems like these are not very easy to take apart and put back together properly.

The "new" transmission has a part broken off of it too. I think it is just a mount for an exhaust strap. I don't know how that could have been broken. Seems like German aluminum is rather fragile.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
3/13/12 10:02 a.m.
HStockSolo wrote: The E46 and E39 were definitely some low points for BMW styling.

Aren't all BMWs low points for styling? I am sure they are good cars but they just look boring to me minus Z8, E30 M3 and 507.

Matthew Huizing
Matthew Huizing Reader
3/13/12 10:18 a.m.

I basically agree, but they can sometimes be a nice sort of ugly.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/13/12 10:27 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
Aren't all BMWs low points for styling? I am sure they are good cars but they just look boring to me minus Z8, E30 M3 and 507.

Agreed, for the most part, styling is not why you buy a BMW. There are, of course exceptions.

Ian F
Ian F UltraDork
3/13/12 10:54 a.m.

For me, the E34 5-series was the high-mark and they've gone downhill since. I don't dislike the E39, but the E34 had a certain clean-ness to the design that is quintisentially BMW.

And the 8-series.

I've grown to like the Z3 design over the years. I still have this silly notion of building a S52 M-Roadster for STR.

02Pilot
02Pilot Reader
3/13/12 11:45 a.m.
Ian F wrote: For me, the E34 5-series was the high-mark and they've gone downhill since. I don't dislike the E39, but the E34 had a certain clean-ness to the design that is quintisentially BMW.

I agree completely. Having owned examples of the 5er on either side of the E34 (E28 533i, E39 525i) I always thought the E34 was just about perfect, particularly in M5 form. For traditionalists, BMW styling went downhill when they switched away from the forward-opening hood.

M3Loco
M3Loco New Reader
3/13/12 4:03 p.m.

I agree, especially this one.. I love my bimmers..

mad_machine
3/13/12 4:11 p.m.
Ian F wrote: For me, the E34 5-series was the high-mark and they've gone downhill since. I don't dislike the E39, but the E34 had a certain clean-ness to the design that is quintisentially BMW. And the 8-series. I've grown to like the Z3 design over the years. I still have this silly notion of building a S52 M-Roadster for STR.

I saw a pretty e34 today.. nice deep green.

I do prefer the E39.. it has a meaner look to it

J308
J308 Reader
3/13/12 6:49 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
J308 wrote: E46 Subframe Failure... A repair that can cost from $3,000 - $10,000.
For a DIY it costs about $10 in scrap metal and MIG wire. I'm not trying to be a prick - it is a time consuming job but very easy to fix once you get in there. Unless the rear ripped out and hit a parked car I am at a loss to understand a cost of $10k to fix it. Must be in dealer money in NYC or something.

I'm sure you're right. It was a few years ago when I last shopped e46s and did this research.

The 10k is a number I saw on a forum, probably from NY, and probably dealer paid as you said, but I don't recall.

A serious rip is a floor pan. In my experience that means $2k easy... for a part that shouldn't fail at those mileages. The point is, no one mentioned that, and for me it would be an absolute requirement to have it inspected before purchase. Most people don't buy E46 BMW's with the intention of epoxying the rear subframe for preventive maintenance.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YWJGmsUX9p1WUNVCVtPQ013Zp6AiudyeAmVabBh1viDt0G4FrzR6BRiqweslaRrS