docwyte
docwyte UberDork
2/3/20 9:20 a.m.

Ok,

So I think I'm interested in refinishing those GT3 calipers I got.  The back sides are fine (of course!) but the side with the logo that everyone can see is pretty scarred/chipped up on one and not the greatest on the other.

I can source the Porsche sticker on eBay, so that's covered.  I've watched a few YouTube videos and it seems pretty straight forward using VHT caliper paint and clear coat.  Is it that simple?  I don't want to have to pop out the pistons etc, I'd like to just mask them off...

How do I properly strip the old paint off the calipers?  I don't have a blast cabinet.  Any thoughts on whether the VHT caliper paint is the proper stuff to use?  Will it stand up to higher heat/track use?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/3/20 9:32 a.m.

To strip you can provably just use paint remover. Follow all precautions, stuff doesn't play nice with anything.

After, hit every stubborn area with a wire wheel.

Lightly scuff with fine grit sandpaper. 

Degrease, mask, paint.

I used VHT and the above procedure (minus the stripping) on my daily, and its holding up well, not sure about track though.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/3/20 9:39 a.m.

Afterthought, not sure how the paint stripper will work with the piston seals.  Check that beforehand with the MSDS of the stripper and material of the seals

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
2/3/20 10:15 a.m.

I don't want to strip the inside area where the seals/pistons are at all.  Figure I'll mask that whole area off, nobody sees it when it's on the car anyways...

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
2/5/20 8:35 p.m.

Tempted to do this on my V brembos.  They were handled by someone who only owned an Ugga Dugga before me and hurt my eyes.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tpbrUyRL59lHcVKIKqLhaHwC6tmQXbqA9ANL6eKO5boVUWKVkrYInMXje1qfvBEK