Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
7/27/16 11:11 p.m.

Bought a new chamois. I washed the living day lights out of it using hand soap and warm water. The water turned yellow, then pale. And has not gotten clear. What am I doing wrong. I tried using it on my Fit tonight and it sucked ASS. Stuck to the car like glue, wouldn't slide, wouldn't absorb water.

There a trick? Any other tips on chamois ownership? My first one wasn't a real sheep skin chamois, it was some synthetic thing. It works, it just leaves little beads of water behind and that is likely causing the hard water spots.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/28/16 8:01 a.m.

I was never happy with mine. I swim to a water blade and beach towel.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
7/28/16 8:29 a.m.

I've always had the same experience with the synthetics. sticks like it's welded to the car and still leaves little drops. The real ones work better for me but it was still way more than I was willing to deal with on a regular basis for a daily driver car.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
7/28/16 8:42 a.m.

I'm not a fancy detailer but i've always just bought the "Absorber" brand chamois (which i'm assuming is a synthetic like y'all are talking about) and they work great.

easier than having a bunch of towels around, no need to hang up to dry, no damp towels, etc. Squeeze it out, roll it up, put it back in the tube and throw it in the cupboard till next weeks car wash.

I generally keep 3, and just move them down the chain... one is exterior only (the newest), then if it gets a bit grungy it gets demoted to "wheels and jams" usage. The last stop before the trash can is the "engine bay only" tube.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
7/28/16 8:43 a.m.

I've been using these synthetic style that roll up in the tube. Same style I used to use as a swimmer as well. Have heard good things about the water blades but haven't tried one yet.

thedanimal
thedanimal Reader
7/28/16 9:13 a.m.

This is where it's at. This is from Wolfgang, it's called the Guzzler. They're a waffle weave pattern and soak up water like crazy, it's great when the car is waxed you can dry the whole car with one towel and an extra microfiber to follow up with small spots.

akylekoz
akylekoz Reader
7/28/16 10:13 a.m.

+1 for the absorber mine is 20 years old. At the absorber booth 9 out of ten people stated that they already had one and it was old, they didn't move much product but got lots of testimonials.

Aspen
Aspen Reader
7/28/16 10:21 a.m.
Trackmouse wrote: Bought a new chamois. I washed the living day lights out of it using hand soap and warm water. The water turned yellow, then pale. And has not gotten clear. What am I doing wrong. I tried using it on my Fit tonight and it sucked ASS. Stuck to the car like glue, wouldn't slide, wouldn't absorb water. There a trick? Any other tips on chamois ownership? My first one wasn't a real sheep skin chamois, it was some synthetic thing. It works, it just leaves little beads of water behind and that is likely causing the hard water spots.

Why the soap? A genuine chamois has naturally oils in it. I think you washed them out. A long time ago I had some chamois conditioner in a bottle that restored the oils, I don't see it available any more.

My chamois usually lasts 3 years. I simple rinse them after use in clean water and hang dry. Also never twist them to ring them out. Only squeeze it from top to bottom.

car39
car39 HalfDork
7/28/16 10:59 a.m.

I use a water blade and then a "Fireman's Friend" synthetic chamois. I wasn't a big fan of the blades until I saw how often they were used at auto auctions. Despite what you might think, they really do try not to damage the cars at an auction. I blade the heavy stuff off first, then go with the synthetic.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
7/28/16 11:17 a.m.

I've got an Absorber that's about 10 years old and it's still working like new.

I never had any luck with the natural chamois and had the same self-welding issue mentioned above.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/28/16 11:19 a.m.
84FSP wrote: I've been using these synthetic style that roll up in the tube. Same style I used to use as a swimmer as well. Have heard good things about the water blades but haven't tried one yet.

I bought one of these when I was 18 and couldn't afford a real chamois. A few years later I had a little more cash and bought the genuine article. It sucked compared to the Absorber, so I've been going with the synthetic for 30 years. I use a Water Blade first and then follow with the Absorber.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/28/16 11:30 a.m.
  • 1 on the Absorber. I've had mine for 10 years or so and it still works great. Actually this thread reminds me---- I should probably buy another as mine is getting a bit grungy.
The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
7/28/16 11:46 a.m.

I didn't like the Absorber. It just stuck to the car and made it a pain to dry. I use a synthetic chamois that looks like a natural one. I probably got 10 years out of it before replacing. It actually still works well, just wore a bunch of holes in to it.

Autolex
Autolex Dork
7/28/16 12:09 p.m.

Mine kept eating my garbage and then my lawn. Had to give it back.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
7/28/16 1:17 p.m.

absorber.... mine is also about 10 years old... but I've had to be creative in drying, and storing. I've found that they will stick to itself once dry... and it is a mother berkleying time getting it open again... so I let it dry, and then roll it back up

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/28/16 1:51 p.m.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
7/28/16 2:10 p.m.
Aspen wrote:
Trackmouse wrote: Bought a new chamois. I washed the living day lights out of it using hand soap and warm water. The water turned yellow, then pale. And has not gotten clear. What am I doing wrong. I tried using it on my Fit tonight and it sucked ASS. Stuck to the car like glue, wouldn't slide, wouldn't absorb water. There a trick? Any other tips on chamois ownership? My first one wasn't a real sheep skin chamois, it was some synthetic thing. It works, it just leaves little beads of water behind and that is likely causing the hard water spots.
Why the soap? A genuine chamois has naturally oils in it. I think you washed them out. A long time ago I had some chamois conditioner in a bottle that restored the oils, I don't see it available any more. My chamois usually lasts 3 years. I simple rinse them after use in clean water and hang dry. Also never twist them to ring them out. Only squeeze it from top to bottom.

The directions specify to "wash thoroughly with light hand soap and lukewarm water to remove the tanning oils from the chamois. The water will be yellowish. Continue washing until water is clear" fish oil is not going to dry a car off. You must wash these. The Internet confirms in several places. Damn, how am I (a young guy) knowing more about chamois than you guys?!? I thought for sure some old timer would come in here and tell me what's up.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HXbyprYrwTeNQ86QjEjrW5oGjYZQHgosba3C0McBmoOH1uTTUIEkub7JDgv0TzPY