Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
3/27/17 7:30 p.m.

I want to have alot of suspension and engine pieces powdercoated however the local guy charges quite abit and is booked for a long time.

Im thinking buy this gun: http://www.eastwood.com/dual-voltage-hotcoat-powder-gun.html?fee=7&fep=4988&SRCCODE=PLA00020&product_id=11676&adpos=1o1&creative=83580266340&device=m&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAjw8OLGBRCklJalqKHzjQ0SJACP4BHr6nl9lf9O9iBL0mpTKG5j3FOKXb8zmTRHgCV0iUYBMxoCTuzw_wcB

And make some sort of diy oven so I can do the work myself and maybe make some income on the side.

Any tips on the oven/curing booth side of things?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/27/17 7:40 p.m.

People who get serious about it get an old oven and buy/make a temperature controller for it. Me, I only powder coat bullets.

Fuelrush
Fuelrush New Reader
3/27/17 7:53 p.m.

I'm also getting ready to dig into this. I'm in your same position.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
3/27/17 10:07 p.m.

I picked up the single voltage gun from eastwood and a used electric oven. I don't bother with a booth. I get my powder from prismaticpowders.com. High quality stuff at a reasonable price. You can order samples, they will send you strips of aluminum coated in the chosen powder.

tripp
tripp Reader
3/30/17 4:37 a.m.

Pretty simple. I did some a couple years back and it turned out well. Just get a cheap used oven as it will apparently leave the oven unusable for food due to contamination.

I bought an Eastwood gun a $50 oven and powder from powder buy the pound (I think prismic powder is the same company).

The hardest part is cleaning the pieces. Anything with oil bake once before coating to get out the old oil. Large pieces heat before coating as they take a while to hear evenly.

I have avoided the issue but have heard the powder can be flamable when sprayed so be a little careful.

All in all easier than painting but just as much or more prep work. Once the powder is on it is very hard to get off. So get it right the first time.

pirate
pirate Reader
3/30/17 2:26 p.m.

I read someplace about building an oven out of angle iron and covering it with sheet metal and then heating the oven with a an adjustable electric hot plate and to monitor temperature using a BBQ Grill Thermometer.I think you have to maintain a temperature of about 400F. I have had powder coating done and the quality ranged from excellent to very poor. The one thing that was constant was the price which was expensive. You also need a source for sand/media blasting to get parts really clean.

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
3/14/18 9:48 a.m.

Forgive me for bumping this thread but I think the info so far will be of more benefit to those interested than starting a new thread from scratch. 

Has anyone here done what Pirate was talking about regarding a DIY oven built from sheet metal? I’m thinking for smaller powder coating jobs it may work so long as the heat source has enough power?  Otherwise as already stated an old regular kitchen oven seems to be pretty common. Again, I’m looking only for personal use at home on smaller sized items that could fit in most typical kitchen sized ovens.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
3/14/18 9:51 a.m.

Depending on how big/small the part is, wouldn't one of those small countertop ovens work just fine? Never hurts to save on cost and space.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/14/18 10:05 a.m.

If the name of the game is space, you could build your own.  There are just so many free ovens on CL that I would take the pre-built route first if you can afford the space.

With any of them, do electric.  Don't use any open flame for two reasons.  1) an electric element makes heat over a large area while a gas (or any flame source) makes its heat with hundreds of tiny 2000-degree flames.  Fumes go boom.  2) all combustion heat sources produce water vapor which can cloud/bubble the the powdercoating.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/14/18 10:33 a.m.

Those were done with the "shake and bake" method.  Plastic airsoft BB's in a coffee can plus some HF Red PC.

Fuelrush
Fuelrush New Reader
3/14/18 10:38 a.m.

Building an oven is no small task. Even if it’s small. I’m building one myself. If you know your doing small stuff go with a kitchen oven. I have been converting a very large gas smoker. It’s big enough to do wheels. The cost adds up quickly for insulation and controlling the heat. Far exceeds a used home oven. My plan is to run both. A kitchen oven and the large smoker.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/14/18 11:43 a.m.

Would an old chest freezer work? Big, insulated box, just add heat source and some sort of thermostat. Wonder if it could hold up to the temps?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
3/14/18 11:46 a.m.
Furious_E said:

Would an old chest freezer work? Big, insulated box, just add heat source and some sort of thermostat. Wonder if it could hold up to the temps?

I don't think so, but that's just my opinion. 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/14/18 12:20 p.m.

You need 400F to cure the stuff.  Freezers have plastic inside.  I think you would have to remove that and replace it with metal, at a minimum.  And the gasket would be a problem too. 

People make large ovens for curing pre-preg carbon fiber stuff.  Make a frame, add some insulation, add a heating element like from an oven or dishwasher and manage the temp either with a controller or by you being the controller for a half hour.

EDT
EDT New Reader
3/14/18 12:25 p.m.

My dad built an oven from an old electric stovetop with a box on top made from HVAC ducting. It worked very well.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
3/14/18 12:50 p.m.

Maybe something out of two matching ovens?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
3/14/18 1:56 p.m.

Oh. I  like that idea.  I happen to have two of the same ovens.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yfmVQsmPA742f1Kn1ZmifLkbXfID7XrPulUHEVhUZjSO7SOpWyDXCpbTPpYsqUNo