1 2 3
thunderzy
thunderzy New Reader
4/5/11 6:59 p.m.

I have the opportunity to get an 87 conquest tsi in a trade for my sportbike.

What can you tell me about them other than they have 80s cool written all over them? Would it make a good track day car candidate? Parts availability? Community and aftermarket support?

Raze
Raze Dork
4/5/11 7:45 p.m.

Two words: DO IT!

thunderzy
thunderzy New Reader
4/5/11 8:54 p.m.

Really? Can either of you tell me a bit more about them? Are they mechanic friendly? Can I work on it myself with novice skills? What about parts support?

imirk
imirk Reader
4/5/11 9:01 p.m.

It is a starion, a good 80s sports car that isn't a porsche, don't upgrade the turbo to Group B specification without upgrading the cooling.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/5/11 9:04 p.m.

Parts availability is decent, Mitsubishi doesn't support them in their catalogs anymore, not sure about chrysler. I work in Mitsu parts and I have downloaded a parts catalog for them, I have found that most factory maintenance parts are still available but not all.

thunderzy
thunderzy New Reader
4/5/11 9:13 p.m.

Im really considering going through with this trade. Only thing holding me back is I know so little about them. The only thing I do know is I love wide body 80s styling!!!

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
4/5/11 9:17 p.m.

I'm pretty sure Chrysler doesn't support any of their badge-engineered Mitsubishis anymore. I know they told my buddy to bring his N/A Plymouth Talon to a Mitsu dealership when he had trouble with it. IIRC, they also suffer from cold solder joints on the PCBs, which is a common '80s-car malady that can be easily fixed with some new solder.

That being said, Starquests are fairly reliable.

MA$$hole
MA$$hole HalfDork
4/6/11 7:20 a.m.

Do it, I did.

This website has been very helpful. EvanB has been a great help on OE parts. Aftermarket/Upgrades are out that but you need to spend some time researching. My only issue yet is finding a "fair" price on an aluminum radiator.

Here is a excellent source for knowledge as well. http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66449&st=0&p=639418&hl=checklist&fromsearch=1&#entry639418

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/6/11 7:40 a.m.

I've seen them shear off rear wheel studs when more power is added. Could be an isolated incident, but perhaps some new studs are good insurance.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
4/16/14 8:34 a.m.

I'm reviving this old thread instead of starting a new one. I found a couple of these on Craigslist, so I wondered what I should look at if I go check them out? Are they reliable and decent for a daily driver? I love the 80's styling, RWD, and turbo power. Plus box flares rule. Basically I want to know everything I can about these! Here are the 2 in question:

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/4424692028.html
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/4423905464.html

beans
beans Dork
4/16/14 8:44 a.m.

Get on that blue one, NOW!nice ones are vmbecomibg increasingly rare.

Also, someone was selling a rwd 4g63 setup on here...

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
4/16/14 8:51 a.m.

Oh man, that blue one was one of my teenage car lusts. Still would love to have one. Buy it before I'm tempted to.

Didn't they have lots of issues with vacuum lines?

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
4/16/14 9:00 a.m.

I love these things. IMO the best looking sports car from the 80s.

The only thing I really dislike is that they are TBI, and there really isn't any option for a bigger injector. The cool ticket would be to add a MPI intake manifold (from the caravan if I remember correctly) and megasquirt that baby.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/16/14 9:16 a.m.

They are a Japanese muscle car. Originally supposed to be called the Stallion.

They have a stupid amount of vacuum lines, TBI injection and a steering box and drag link setup.

MegaSquirt with a MPI intake from a 2.6L equipped Mitsu/Chrysler car/truck will solve the induction issues.

I think the 4G63T can be swapped in with some parts from Mitsu/Dodge mini pickups and some effort.

Steering rack conversions have been done, but the steering box isn't the end of the world as long as they are in good shape.

That said, I love the way they look. Both the original narrow body and the later flared version. Reminds me of the 924/944, which is a good thing :)

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/16/14 9:26 a.m.

Dear lord that blue one is SEXY. GO GET IT. It's a deal with low miles like that.

Also: In theory... an F2T swap should be easy. And no, i'm not joking.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
4/16/14 9:32 a.m.

yea the tbi is a big downside but like spoolpigeon said there are solutions. becides that i think they are all around good cars, very prone to rust so look it over good

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
4/16/14 10:35 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Dear lord that blue one is SEXY. GO GET IT. It's a deal with low miles like that. Also: In theory... an F2T swap should be easy. And no, i'm not joking.

Do any of your wet dreams NOT include an F2T?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/16/14 10:37 a.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: Dear lord that blue one is SEXY. GO GET IT. It's a deal with low miles like that. Also: In theory... an F2T swap should be easy. And no, i'm not joking.
Do any of your wet dreams NOT include an F2T?

Yes.

I have a stiffy for a 2zzge powered MR-S.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE Reader
4/16/14 10:38 a.m.

4g63 swap? I assume that's quite involved.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/16/14 10:39 a.m.
ScreaminE wrote: 4g63 swap? I assume that's quite involved.

Believe it's just mounts and wiring. There's a recipe out there to get the trans to bolt to it.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
4/16/14 10:51 a.m.

Yeah the Conquest TSi/Starion were two of the coolest cars ever to come out of the 80s

Do it

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
4/16/14 11:17 a.m.

I figured these are the responses I would get. You darn enablers! I'm going to get in tough with both sellers and see when I can check them out. I would probably keep them stock, or close to it, so the tbi issues don't worry me much. Do these respond well to a manual boost controller like most other 80's turbo cars?

evildky
evildky Dork
4/16/14 12:28 p.m.

I always liked them, kinda heavy. Guido's anus was a little loose and brown but packed with potential.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo HalfDork
4/16/14 1:14 p.m.

Blue one is mucho lust. I want those wheels.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/16/14 1:14 p.m.

That blue one is priced about $2k too low. I'd be astounded if it is still available. Get on it.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xucHstAWpTM5tBj5MAmnG50QwAaIuXkOzfb2sC0TSQZJnvK5HxGeU9BZhiMFygdR