1 2
Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/15/17 12:38 p.m.

Wow, that kinda blows my mind. I'd been thinking $4 to $6K for those items. Looks like I need to up my resourcefulness game. I would say, however that the EZ30D is more in keeping with the original corvair plan. Throw some better brakes up front and you're good to go, whereas the STI output starts bumping the car towards needing a bunch of other work done to manage the newfound capabilities. It all depends on what your build goals are. 

stroker
stroker UltraDork
11/15/17 2:59 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk :

"STI half cut"....   I'm not familiar with the term?

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/15/17 3:20 p.m.
stroker said:

In reply to crankwalk :

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
11/15/17 3:44 p.m.
NOHOME said:
stroker said:

In reply to crankwalk :

^Like that.

But depending on where you get it from, get them completely intact and sell off all the body panels, lights, dash, etc. Once I removed everything I needed I sold the shell to a kid for the firewall so he could attempt a RHD conversion on his. Got it out of my garage.

I used to do this pretty regularly with s13s and galant's about 13-14 years ago. So many people wanted just motorsets but the half cut's nearly paid for themselves if you have the time and patience to break them down.

stroker
stroker UltraDork
11/15/17 8:16 p.m.

I looked up some EZ30D on Wikipedia and there's some contradictory information there.  Tried Copart and there are a BUNCH of flood damaged cars in Houston but I'm smart enough not to touch those...

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/15/17 9:05 p.m.

The EZ30R benefits from an updated design over the D, but is locked into a complicated CANBUS system, whereas the D model can be made to run with the factory ECU and a minimum of fiddling.

stroker
stroker UltraDork
11/19/17 9:28 a.m.

Can anyone tell me if Corvair 140 engines have aluminum blocks?  Or are they cast iron?

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/17 9:49 a.m.

Block &, heads aluminum.  Cylinders iron sleeved.  

I don’t know much about corvairs but I may or may not have ever stayed at a holiday inn express at some point in my life.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
11/19/17 12:16 p.m.

Block and heads are aluminum the Cylinders are all steel,

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mUhBtUHLqubQFgoK0N7vYYTN96fCPBi9CF6JuCwitkW8fNvJkdSTlMfZlPst5NNg