1 2
Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
6/24/17 8:02 p.m.

Not the pervert next door mind you.

Learnt me good. Anything from "this is the best thing you'll ever rest your ass on" to "you'll roll slower than a yugo". I have a nice, flat concrete floor and a dual car a garage.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/24/17 8:17 p.m.

I have a cheap Northern Tool creeper. It works, it will run over most things, I almost never use it. I use large sheets of cardboard instead. Better leverage when pulling on wrenches, and I don't have to put the car so high in the air.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
6/24/17 8:20 p.m.

That's one concern I have. Jack stands only go so high. And I don't like them very high. I get uneasy. And I have struggled with the creeper moving while torquing.

Speaking of forgetting- how do you guys remember to use tools? I've gone my entire life without a compressor. I bought one and caught myself driving to the gas station to air up the tires.....

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/24/17 8:26 p.m.

I have had this for many years. It is awesome and I love it. I am a tall fat guy and I find it very comfortable. Plus its made in America.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
6/24/17 8:31 p.m.

^ I came in here to recommend the Bone creeper.

Invented by Dale Adams, car nut, restorer and Packard V12 guru.

Super nice guy, I've spent some time on the phone with him.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/24/17 9:22 p.m.

Creepers are all fun and games until you run over your ponytail with one.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/24/17 9:36 p.m.
Stampie wrote: Creepers are all fun and games until you run over your ponytail with one.

Reminds me of the day i decided i would rather have short hair than get my hair stuck in the creeper wheel again.

Generally speaking mine is hanging up and almost never comes out. I have used commercial runners from cintas(black rubber backed carpet) and it's way easier than trying to roll around under the car. I just slide around.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
6/24/17 9:53 p.m.

I've always wondered about how well those Bone creeper work, it's good to get a review from someone who actually has one.

I have a regular old wood creeper I got at Sears probably 35 years ago - the problem with the small casters on that style is any little pebble or piece of debris on the floor will get caught under them and you come to a sudden halt.

The biggest problem is that there will always be one tool you forgot to bring with you once you're under the car.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
6/24/17 10:06 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: I use large sheets of cardboard instead. Better leverage when pulling on wrenches, and I don't have to put the car so high in the air.

The big coroplast political signs work great for this.

Toyman01
6/24/17 10:08 p.m.

If I ever buy another one, it will be this.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
6/24/17 10:24 p.m.

I have a Snap-On, I mostly use cardboard.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
6/24/17 11:09 p.m.

Until you grab the wrong lever while under the car.

Toyman01 wrote: If I ever buy another one, it will be this.
Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
6/25/17 2:14 a.m.

What is this Steven Hawking contraption?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/25/17 5:54 a.m.

I mainly use 2' x 2' 1/2" thick interlocking pads. Pretty much any time I'm working on a car. They make my knees happy.

Toyman01
6/25/17 6:37 a.m.

In reply to Ian F:

Another thing that works well for saving knees is old car floor mats. I keep several around the shop. With the rubber back, they work well on wet ground also.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
6/25/17 8:53 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

Speaking of carpet pads...went to large carpet outlet to shop for remnant carpet. Explained to counter person what I wanted. He took me to back where they had a huge stash of carpet samples of discontinued carpets. Measure 2'x2'. Told me to take all I wanted.

Really convenient and I just throw them away when they get dirty since they were free.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/25/17 9:14 a.m.
Trans_Maro said: Until you grab the wrong lever while under the car.

Then you have a hoist! LOL

I have a bones creeper and it really is good, rolls easy with the big wheels and is low. In my home garage I just use the cheap foam flooring you can buy from Walmart that clips together as I don't have the room alongside the car to maneuver a creeper. When I use my parent garage though the creeper is great.

Adam

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/25/17 10:27 a.m.

Flat wooden ones are what I use. They are a great place to put tools and parts that you can roll under the car with you or out from under the car once you slide out.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition SuperDork
6/25/17 10:46 a.m.

Another Boner here. Works great but kinda large and bulky and hard to find a place for.

Oh, yes, I did!

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi PowerDork
6/25/17 11:08 a.m.

Cardboard sheets for me.

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls PowerDork
6/25/17 11:28 a.m.

I have given up on creepers and use a large trackmat

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
6/25/17 11:33 a.m.

I use the puzzle-piece foam flooring when I am working under a car.

It gets wrecked with oil pretty easily, but it's also fairly cheap. I used to use floormats from cars but the rate of junk cars going through my ownership has dropped so it's difficult to resupply.

Kramer
Kramer Dork
6/25/17 12:41 p.m.

I'm on the Bone bandwagon. Love mine.

jere
jere HalfDork
6/26/17 5:17 a.m.

I had a hft one but cracked the plastic working in the cold. So I made one with curb side exercise machine frame tube and some other common scraps.

For the casters I reused the hft creeper steel wheel holder, but put in roller blades wheels that have mini bearings. Rolls incredibly smooth and easily, right over pebbles or whatever it's more like floating than rolling. For the foam I cut up interlocking foam floor mats. The whole thing is lower, stiffer, and more comfortable...

But generally I just use a coroplast election sign

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/26/17 6:18 a.m.
Ovid_and_Flem wrote: In reply to Toyman01: Speaking of carpet pads...went to large carpet outlet to shop for remnant carpet. Explained to counter person what I wanted. He took me to back where they had a huge stash of carpet samples of discontinued carpets. Measure 2'x2'. Told me to take all I wanted. Really convenient and I just throw them away when they get dirty since they were free.

I have a bunch of those as well. The architects in my office used to get a bunch of samples. Once a project is complete, they sit around until someone takes them or they get tossed.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wpkD1Oj7ZDOJQzQcR8rLzzuh2WTDND39X1kPSBsmYaMGmMaSdLyy3MtKotiK8RwK