f6sk
f6sk Reader
6/12/18 8:13 p.m.

Can you use the "cup" from one car and the hub/spline from another?  Are the cups a universal size? 

I have an Isuzu and there are zero performance parts for an Isuzu.  My goal would be to keep my original isuzu transmission side and then using the other half of the shaft for something more robust with aftermarket support.  Just mix them at the cup and BOOM no more unicorn parts.

clshore
clshore New Reader
6/12/18 8:40 p.m.

In reply to f6sk :

Do a search here for thread 'Project Igor- Europa Content'.

It contains a link for searching and finding compatible CV components that can be assembled into what you need.

CV axles are mostly not specific to particular car or model, they are assemblies of stock components from a limited number of global CV axle manufacturers.

f6sk
f6sk Reader
6/13/18 4:37 p.m.

Outstanding!  I will be digging into this!

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/13/18 5:35 p.m.

Here is a link to a YouTube vid I did years ago for a quick trick to disassemble 'non serviceable' CV joints.

In this case, 89 Camry V6 MT axles were used to build a hybrid axle that worked with AW11 hubs and MR2 Turbo E153 transmission.  Like Legos!

V6 inboard joint and half shaft pops right into the MR2 out CV joint and bolts to the MR2 Turbo stub axles.

https://youtu.be/pTooPkTAmIk

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
6/13/18 7:32 p.m.

Have I got a link for you!  Reference the Axle blank and CV joint application PDFs.

http://interparts.com/download.htm

I used this site to find a shorter axle shaft that shares spline dimensions with NA Miatas.

f6sk
f6sk Reader
6/14/18 7:55 p.m.

Do you find that spline count is the "key".  Or are there variations in diameter?  For example are there 22 spline joints that are 18mm, and others that are 22 spline 22 mm?

Thanks for the links!

SampsonRally
SampsonRally GRM+ Member
3/21/24 3:41 p.m.

Does anyone have a copy of that interparts database? It looks like the link is no longer active.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Puz7x9kVj2oFLHNUhcQmwhsGDe9rF2JTMvz3Qpr0R1KK82B4KCm6BOMlZ8xlJhqs