Matt B
Matt B UltraDork
7/23/18 10:03 a.m.

So the wife and I are determined to finally make it down to Daytona this year.  If we can snag 'em we'll get the GRM Experience tickets.  We're planning on tent camping, but unfortunately it looks like all the infield camping tickets are sold out.  So assuming I can get them tomorrow morning we'll be in the Park West spots.

Question 1:  Is it worth it to look for second-hand campground sales on sites like primesport.com?  I'm not really sure how far the walk is from the Park West area to inside the track.  We are veterans of camping at Road Atlanta for Petit and the Mitty so hoofing it a bit doesn't bother me too much, but I would rather not walk for 20-30 minutes every time I needed to go by home base.

Question 2:  Any Daytona 24-specific camping/attending strategies we need to know?  I'm already pumped to do the midnight paddock tour, as it's my favorite place for photos.  I hear it can get pretty cold at night so we might actually sleep in the van and use the tent for shade/coolers/etc.  What else do I need to know?

wae
wae SuperDork
7/23/18 10:26 a.m.

My RV spot is in the Park West area basically where the gate 71 (I think?) entrance is.  I believe the tent camping starts right on the other side of us, so your walk times would be slightly longer than ours.  Because you have to walk way around to get into the tunnel, camper to GRM tent is about 15-20mins.  You can do less walking by grabbing the tram either in the parking lot out front or at the stop just inside the tunnel, but there are long lines during busy times.  Even off-peak, I think it's faster to walk.  We have both trailered a car and rented a car to serve as our shuttle between the camper and the grm parking.  My pro tip is to get the car out of the corral well before then end of the race.

The first year we camped onsite, we bought our pass from StubHub and it worked out fine.  There are also plenty for sale on eBay and the local Craigslist.  None of those options would bother me.

It does get kind of cold.  I don't remember using the furnace this year but we definitely did in 2017.  If you have a van and can get grm parking, you can make that your home base for race night - instead of going back out to the tent for a nap, you can have a place to nod off for a bit right in the infield.

Matt B
Matt B UltraDork
7/23/18 11:54 a.m.

Thanks wae - good idea on the infield parking (if we can get it).

What about showers? Assuming they have them, are there "preferred" facilities?

wae
wae SuperDork
7/23/18 12:06 p.m.

In reply to Matt B :

I know that showers do exist, however, I've not experienced them myself.  I don't recall seeing any shower houses outside, but there are several inside the track.

If you can't get GRM parking, I seem to recall that there were generic infield parking passes going for 50-75 bucks on eBay last year.

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/23/18 12:43 p.m.

showers are good enough, inside the track.  close-ish to nascar 4.   i'm kind of suprised tickets are sold out already for camping, we used to buy ours in november-ish, from memory  Only year that didn't work out was the 50th running.

camping is the way to go.  the last time i drove down there, we did it in my Volvo 945T with a crockpot full of pork shoulder on a power inverter.  Car smelled great, and we had lunch ready when we arrived!

Matt B
Matt B UltraDork
7/23/18 2:12 p.m.

In reply to stylngle2003 :

I can only imagine that tickets are already sold because their policy of first-refusal to last year's camping pass holders has created a second-hand market... or hopefully it's just that awesome.  Thanks for the heads up on showers.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/23/18 7:45 p.m.

I'm want to figure out an approach to going. I have a pickup truck with a topper. I was thinking of trying to get infield parking, just sleep where ever I end up.

I live 25 minutes from the track.

Any suggestions?

Matt B
Matt B UltraDork
7/24/18 12:55 p.m.

Update - we ended up with 4-day passes with the GRM stadium package added and general admission camping.  All GRM Experience tickets and infield parking were already sold out when I called at 9:00:01 am.  Apparently there was a high renewal rate this year.  No matter, we're going to rock it like we always do. 

Floating Doc - I'm going to assume you couldn't get infield parking this morning either, but you're welcome to join us in the G.A. camping area if you like smack talk and beer.  We'll be in a white 2015 Oddity plus green tent.  That said, when the event is close we'll probably start anther thread to see who's going.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/24/18 8:59 p.m.

In reply to Matt B :

Thanks for the offer. I'm relatively new to the forum (at least with my current level of activity), and haven't been to the Rolex, despite living nearby, and working across the street. I'm looking forward to next year!

Matt B
Matt B UltraDork
7/25/18 8:48 a.m.

No problemo - it'll be our first time at the race as well.  We'll likely be there for the full 4 days so some advice from a local would be welcome.  Feel free to PM me to link up for the event.

onemanarmy
onemanarmy Reader
7/25/18 2:55 p.m.

I tried to get an Infield RV spot, but was also told they were all sold out on renewal from last year.

Got a RV park west spot instead and a 4 day wristband.

Showers?  HA!

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
7/25/18 3:10 p.m.

I sleep in my Camaro inside the GRM compound.  It can get in the 40’s at night.  There’s a huge fireworks display at 11pm, so I use that as my alarm clock for the midnight tour.  After the GRM meal, it’s pretty easy to get sleepy  for a nap until then.

Matt B
Matt B UltraDork
7/27/18 1:36 p.m.

Ok, phase 2 of this thread: Hotel Strategy.  

We've decided to stay at a hotel Sunday night to rest up before the drive home.  Debating on whether or not to just stay near the track due to traffic/sleep-deprivation or head over to a cheap beach spot and enjoy the evening.  Pricing is surprisingly similar at the moment.  So just how bad is traffic after the race?  We're planning on staying for the podium so no getting out before the worst. I just don't want to be stuck in the car for hours trying to get to the beach.

In reply to racerfink :

I'll make sure to come knock on the glass. devil

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/27/18 2:28 p.m.

At the checker, there's a line to leave the track. That's when we break down the GRM compound. About 90 minutes or so after checker (going from memory), you can get out of the track. My wife and I usually grab an early dinner and then head home.

Matt B
Matt B UltraDork
7/27/18 2:40 p.m.

Thanks David - that doesn't sound too bad.  Apparently my memories of leaving Atlanta Motor Speedway crawling down highway 41 for god-knows-how-long have scarred me for life.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2dNAS6RiUjCu8hRajNq7TGTgZrRlkRMh90LSFFDWRQq2xaw3vhUudKOR2xZsE3MZ