GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/17 8:29 a.m.

I'm bench-building a cheap 4x4 that can tow a 6000lb braked trailer and still has decent offroad ability. I know towing and offroading are two strongly conflicting goals, but think of it more as a general-purpose utility vehicle, it won't have to do extremes of either. Basically I'm trying to find out about the factory options and which powertrain is best.

Looks like the crew cab is actually shorter in wheelbase and overall length than the extended cab, and only slightly longer than the regular cab, so that's the best body style to go for - plenty practical with full rear seats and 4 doors, enough wheelbase for good towing capability, while still relatively short for a modern pickup so the breakover angle won't be too terrible.

Was the manual gearbox available with 4WD? On the second-gen model you only get 4WD with an autotragic transmission. An auto is acceptable but not preferable.

Engine: don't know too much about American engines other than the gearhead favorites. The only one I recognize among the 7(!) engine options is the LH8, an LS relative. Reliability and efficiency are more important than power, I only want enough power for towing. Is anything less than the V8 hopeless in terms of power?

Opti
Opti HalfDork
12/19/17 8:36 a.m.

I think the 5 cylinder is in the atlas (4.2 i6) family. The 4.2 is great but gms claim of power of a 6 and economy of a 4 was backwards according to most. Its really power of a 4 economy of a 6.

Rotors are a pain to change and driveshafts go bad bit outside of that i havent seen too many major concerns.

Im not a huge fan, i drove one for a company truck for a few years and it didnt really do anything good, that could have been from all the abuse im sure it sustained before me.

You could look at the newer Dakota. Not really in the same class cause its built on the full size platform, but v8s are plentiful. I think they used to advertise that it would tow 9900lbs. They are very cheap thanks to dodges awesome resale value, but i have no odea how capable they can be offroad

NickD
NickD UltraDork
12/19/17 8:43 a.m.

These have the rotors bolted to the back of the hubs. So if you need to change rotors, you need to pull the wheel bearings out of the knuckles. This typically results in the front wheel bearings separating and requiring replacement as well, so factor in $1000+ if you have to have front brakes done. The engine bay on these is also the proverbial 5lb bag. Want to change a valve cover gasket? You have to pull the alternator, left front wheel, left front wheel liner and intake manifold on the 4s and 5s. Also, as stated the 2.9L I4 and 3.7L I5 are thirsty and not particularly powerful. 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon New Reader
12/19/17 11:34 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

I'm bench-building a cheap 4x4 that can tow a 6000lb braked trailer and still has decent offroad ability. I know towing and offroading are two strongly conflicting goals, but think of it more as a general-purpose utility vehicle, it won't have to do extremes of either. Basically I'm trying to find out about the factory options and which powertrain is best.

Looks like the crew cab is actually shorter in wheelbase and overall length than the extended cab, and only slightly longer than the regular cab, so that's the best body style to go for - plenty practical with full rear seats and 4 doors, enough wheelbase for good towing capability, while still relatively short for a modern pickup so the breakover angle won't be too terrible.

Was the manual gearbox available with 4WD? On the second-gen model you only get 4WD with an autotragic transmission. An auto is acceptable but not preferable.

Engine: don't know too much about American engines other than the gearhead favorites. The only one I recognize among the 7(!) engine options is the LH8, an LS relative. Reliability and efficiency are more important than power, I only want enough power for towing. Is anything less than the V8 hopeless in terms of power?

the max towing rating on the v8 colorado and canyons is 6000lbs so I think u will want something bigger with a higher capacity if towing a 6000lbs trailer.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/19/17 11:42 a.m.

I recently remembered these existed and started looking at them myself. While you don't have the road salt for winter down there, it seems they've mostly already returned to the earth around me. 

GameboyRMH
12/19/17 11:48 a.m.

6000lbs is the maximum weight, typical load will be under 5000lbs.

I had actually considered the last-gen Dakota but liked the smaller size of the Colorado. The Dakota also has 4WD with low-range, so its only disadvantage vs. the Colorado offroad is its size, most specifically the longer wheelbase. The Dakota has a 6-speed manual option that was available along with 4WD from the factory by the looks of it, so it has that going for it.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/19/17 11:54 a.m.

In reply to Opti :

My friend's mom had a Trailblazer with the 4.2 I6 for many years that I've driven a few times. I didn't think power was bad for what it was, though you wouldn't call it overpowered, but the MPGs definitely sucked - mid teens at best. 

I'd think the 5 cylinder would be pretty crappy to tow with, and the V8s are pretty much unicorns as far as I understand. 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon New Reader
12/19/17 12:25 p.m.

The v8 versions aren’t that common plus they are the 300 hp version of the 5.3 not the ideal one for towing. Either way a 4x4 halfton would be far better option if your looking at towing even at just 5000lbs.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/19/17 12:51 p.m.

what about the 2011ish dodge dakota? v-8 available, crew cab available, tow rating looks like 4600, but may be workable with some helper air springs and intelligent towing. I just know I had them all the time as rentals back then so they must be common and likely cheap.

Autolex
Autolex Dork
12/19/17 1:10 p.m.

Why not Frontier? (2005+ Gen)

GameboyRMH
12/19/17 1:28 p.m.

A D40 Frontier/Navara is another option, also has 6spd manual available with a 2-speed transfer case, and it's close to the 1st-gen Colorado in size. Also gets surprisingly good MPGs.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/19/17 2:33 p.m.

How much more offroad capability do you need?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHvXi_HejnI

Opti
Opti HalfDork
12/19/17 3:29 p.m.

Apparently I was mistaken the dakotas max capacity hovers around 7k for the 06-11 styles, if specced right. 

If you go the dakota route, include mitsu raiders in your search, pretty sure its the same truck, but maybe you can get a discount cause its not a "truck" brand.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
12/19/17 4:22 p.m.

I don't like the Colorado.  Lotsa lousy engineering, and difficult repairing.  Find a 2000-07 Silverado with a 4.8 if you want a GM, or find a nice Dakota.

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
12/19/17 7:17 p.m.

I own a 2005, all the complaints here are valid. Changing rotors are a job and a half, fuel economy stinks, engine (I 5) is rattly ( yes I made that word up

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
12/19/17 7:20 p.m.

Ok why did only half of what I typed show up in my post? 

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
12/19/17 8:39 p.m.

I pull 5k with my 6spd frontier and it does a decent job for a small truck.  I won't be winning any drag races, but  I can keep up with traffic.  I've got an off road park I want to visit and see how the truck does in the dirt.  My main complaint would be the crappy turning radius.  The trucks have been nearly the same since 2005 so early models should be getting cheap now.  Same goes for the Suzuki Equator at a discounted price.

porschenut
porschenut Reader
12/20/17 9:09 a.m.

I have a '11 Colorado 5 cylinder and love it.  Haven't towed much but it has very good power and gets mid 20s on the road, 20 in town.  The engine had issues, but most of those are fixed or junk.  Brakes not the best but good enough to stop a 3000 pound trailer well without the brake controller on.

The 6 and 8 will tow more, and with this kind of weight a full size truck gets pushed around less.  But the 'Rado is a decent truck and I love the 5 cylinder wail at high revs.  Reminds me of my old quattro

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Yoy0DNbhmRrLjp7K5cO32MR7gVELZpcIFa4qIvkZo8lA4vjKrSEDUTKI2SBgbJZE