rodknock
rodknock Reader
7/18/20 7:45 p.m.

What does the hive think about these? I am looking to get a fun daily for under $15k. These seem to offer a lot of fun and practicality for the money, at least on paper. Are there any known problems or maintenance gotchas? Should I just get a Civic Si instead?

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/20 8:54 p.m.

The lack of mechanical limited slip hurts them as they use the brakes as an ersatz limited slip.

The stock brakes can't handle that on an autocross course along with braking, etc. so they can cook the front brakes in a single session if you're not careful.

RS brakes are a bolt on upgrade, but limit wheel diameters to 18" and a few 17"

Otherwise they are pretty decent hot hatches with a decent amount of support available in the aftermarket.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/18/20 9:18 p.m.
rodknock said:

What does the hive think about these? I am looking to get a fun daily for under $15k. These seem to offer a lot of fun and practicality for the money, at least on paper. Are there any known problems or maintenance gotchas? Should I just get a Civic Si instead?

you're going to struggle to get a turbo civic si under $15k. the NA 9th gen are good... but not great..

I enjoyed my focus ST, but i sold it... they're fun.. but to a point with flaws as Stefan pointed out already.

they can run on 87 or 93.. which is nice..

they're plastic fantastic inside... a clean one of them is going to be hard to find for $15k unless you go up in miles or 6-7 years old... may still be tough even then...

they're fun... but be aware of DI issues so the dirty intake valves which lead to needing to do walnut blasting..

if you find one you like... they're pretty reliable from what i've seen. i put 55K miles on mine in 21 months with only 2 hiccups. the driver visor fell off and the driver door vibrated on the freeway with the right cutting of the concrete... 

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
7/18/20 9:39 p.m.

I'd toss the fiesta st in if only because it shouldn't be hard to find a decent condition one for around $10-12k. All the same issues as the focus, but for a daily driver none of it matters. These cars were definitely tuned on the "the customer won't know it's sporty if it doesn't ride like garbage" principle but that's largely fixable with a set of dampers and some 16" wheels and tires. I assume the focus is similar though I've never driven one. As mentioned both cars are perfectly happy eating up miles on 87 octane which is super nice. Interiors aren't amazing but are plenty fine for a commuter car. There's a few things that wear out but if you're buying used they'll probably already be worn out and you might not even notice without knowing what it was like new.

rattfink81
rattfink81 Reader
7/19/20 4:18 a.m.

I test drove a few used ones back to back with a fiesta ST. I liked the fiesta better as it seemed to "feel" quicker and handle better in the fun to drive way. The focus ST  did seem the better daily driver as it seemed more planted and compliant.
i didn't end up buy either model but for different reasons. 

MrLittle
MrLittle Reader
7/19/20 6:46 a.m.

I liked my Focus ST but sold it after a year and moved to an FRS. It was fun but for some reason I grew bored of it in that timeframe. I honestly don't know if it was lack of fun with the ST or the appeal of RWD that drove me to the FRS.

If I went back to ford hot hatch it would probably be the FiST. Seems more playful. 

iceracer
iceracer MegaDork
7/19/20 1:07 p.m.

I enjoy my 2018 FiST.   Just fun with that extra power. 

My only complaint is that the ride could be a little more compliant, but then.

Well there is another one. A rattle in the plastic around the steering column on certain bumpy roads.  Yet to do some serious searching.

No competitive events.

The stability control works.cheeky

newold_m (Forum Supporter)
newold_m (Forum Supporter) New Reader
7/19/20 1:13 p.m.

I had one for a few year. No issues with reliability but build quality was pretty poor with inconsistent panel gaps, random rattles that I had to chase down. Lack of limited slip really hurt as you can't power down especially if it was tuned like mine. My main issue was driving position, seating position is too high (had the Recaros) and was putting my ankle in a weird position and after 2 years my knee said enough. Oh, and resale value sucks. Would be a good buy second hand if you can find an unmolested one and can live with the limitations. 

boulder_dweeb
boulder_dweeb Reader
7/19/20 3:44 p.m.

Guys:

Just a BTW question: Has the Ford decision to not build cars affected the resale of these cars? Which way? How much?

Thx

Rog

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/20 5:25 p.m.
Stefan (Forum Supporter) said:

The lack of mechanical limited slip hurts them as they use the brakes as an ersatz limited slip.

The stock brakes can't handle that on an autocross course along with braking, etc. so they can cook the front brakes in a single session if you're not careful.

RS brakes are a bolt on upgrade, but limit wheel diameters to 18" and a few 17"

I wonder if S60R/V70R brakes would bolt on.  They are 330x32mm rotors not 350, and 17" definitely fit.  Same wheel dish fitment issues as the FoRS though, the calipers stick pretty far past the hub face.

The other caveat is most performance pads are made for 30mm rotors (STi/Evo) and are too thick unless you file them down, which is surprisingly quick.

I'd like to say I recall someone putting FoRS front brakes on his Volvo.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/20 5:26 p.m.
boulder_dweeb said:

Guys:

Just a BTW question: Has the Ford decision to not build cars affected the resale of these cars? Which way? How much?

Thx

Rog

Ford is still building cars.  They are just not selling them here anymore.

rodknock
rodknock Reader
7/19/20 6:27 p.m.

Hey thanks for all the replies. I will definitely test drive both the FoST and the FiST.

I am glad to hear that they are mostly reliable aside from potential DI issues. 

I am probably only going to casually autocross whatever I get so I am not too bothered by the E-diff cooking the brakes. 

The low rent interior isn't a huge deal for me cause I am coming from a 1990 Miata. Anything made in the last 10 years will be an improvement lol. 

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
7/19/20 7:08 p.m.

Find one with Recaros, the base seats are terrible.

7/19/20 7:43 p.m.
boulder_dweeb said:

Guys:

Thx

Rog

Values went up after/during summer 2019 after the cars weren't available new at the dealers anymore...

My 2017 Focus ST ST1 package...was valued at $14k with 45K miles and some front end lower lip damage in mid-march march 2019 at carmax.

i sold the car to carmax almost 6 months later to the day... in Sept 2019... with 55k miles.... for $14k... I bought the car for $20k.

a buddy of mile negotiated hard in late summer of 2017 and bought his 2017 focus st for in the 18k range..

he traded the car in with 12k miles in november 2019 for $17k

7/19/20 7:48 p.m.
MrFancypants said:

the base seats are great IMHO. the recaro bolsters are too aggressive unless you're skinny. 

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
7/20/20 8:29 a.m.
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:
MrFancypants said:

the base seats are great IMHO. the recaro bolsters are too aggressive unless you're skinny. 

Unfortunately the "bolsters" on the base seats don't really do anything unless you're husky.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
7/20/20 8:33 a.m.

Carbon build up really isn't an issue on any Fords. The Focus is a pretty decent daily (I have an RS) but would go back to another Fiesta ST before I'd buy a FOST. The Fiesta is much more fun everyday. 

engiekev
engiekev Reader
7/20/20 9:07 a.m.
MrFancypants said:

Same goes for the Fiesta ST, do make a point to sit in both sets of seats with either car. You either fit, or you don't.  I fit well in the Recaros but it still is very hard to get them in a comfortable position without putting the height all the way up, then it feels like you're hitting the ceiling.  If you don't the front area of the cushion puts pressure on your back thighs and is not comfortable for long drives.

The Fiesta definitely is more playful due to being lighter and shorter wheelbase, but due to these factors the Focus handles rougher roads and highway speeds much better.  For a regular commute though, the Fiesta is a blast and quite frugal.

Tyler H (Forum Supporter)
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/20/20 9:30 a.m.
boulder_dweeb said:

Guys:

Thx

Rog

Values went up after/during summer 2019 after the cars weren't available new at the dealers anymore...

My 2017 Focus ST ST1 package...was valued at $14k with 45K miles and some front end lower lip damage in mid-march march 2019 at carmax.

i sold the car to carmax almost 6 months later to the day... in Sept 2019... with 55k miles.... for $14k... I bought the car for $20k.

a buddy of mile negotiated hard in late summer of 2017 and bought his 2017 focus st for in the 18k range..

he traded the car in with 12k miles in november 2019 for $17k

I was looking at FoST / FiSTs new ~2017 and I could have gotten a base FoST for $19k or a FiST for $17k.  Wound up just buying another old M3, because I figured I would eat the buy-in amount in depreciation on the Ford over the course of 3 years.  

Drove a couple of races in a Spec B Fiesta and thought it was very well built (for the price,) and considered getting a FiST.  The Focus is a more substantial car, for the $2k difference, but I didn't think it was as fun.  

My buddies recently bought a FoST race car, so looking forward to trying it out on track with a real diff.

TLDR:  I think a FoST is probably a great option if you can do FWD and find one that was responsibly owned.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
7/20/20 10:17 a.m.

Forgot to add.... I'd only buy a completely stock one. The modifications I see on these can be quite questionable.

7/20/20 10:43 a.m.
Saron81 said:

Forgot to add.... I'd only buy a completely stock one. The modifications I see on these can be quite questionable.

That's a good way to look at it. 

rodknock
rodknock Reader
7/20/20 12:03 p.m.
Saron81 said:

Oh yeah, I am absolutely avoiding modded ones. From some of the listings I've seen, these are starting to become the new Bugeye WRX as far as bad mods go. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IkMLTCdNKHCQwVwfyZHYt1UClgYaPDWIZX8aFfmKnay9vvUfybWyAArU4TI0kkrw