1 2
cmcgregor
cmcgregor Reader
7/29/15 3:05 p.m.

The spousal unit has been advocating for the addition of a 4 door car to the fleet, so I've been begrudgingly looking around. This popped up on my local SCCA region's forums

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/5139278022.html

Looks to be in nice shape, well maintained, and they seem like fun cars. Is 4k a reasonable price? What should I look out for? Prices seem to be all over the place, with a few really, really rough examples around $1200 on the local Craigs.

And if an SVT isn't the droid I'm looking for, I'm open to other suggestions. Daily duties are currently split between a '90 Miata with rather stiff suspension and racing seats, my '14 Honda CB500x, and a '99 Protege 1.6 that really, really needs to go away soon. I'm very conflicted between buying something new, that I can cruise in comfort and not have to worry about fixing, and something a little more interesting and probably older, as long as it has 4 doors. I also much prefer hatches to sedans.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/29/15 3:10 p.m.

That price seems on the money. It's the EAP cars with the Recaro interior that fetch the most $$$.

The maintenance adds up there; the timing belt and tensioner service is the crucial one. Seems like a great deal. I'd buy it!

OutOfFocus
OutOfFocus New Reader
7/29/15 3:23 p.m.

If you want something older then maybe a B13 or B14 SE-R could fit the bill. I feel like my Focus SVT is like a better version of those. I'll echo what SlickDizzy said about the timing belt. I don't know why but when looking for my SVT every owner I contact would be hesitant to answer me if timing belt was done and would usually follow up with it never has to be done if you take car of your car. So uh be careful of the typical idiots that would be selling these. Mine was running rough so I replaced my timing belt and also plugs. Two years in and the car still gets me around and I still fly around the twistys. Another thing I like is that the roof rack from the Kona edition Focus fits on my SVT and I've been using it to haul my mountain bike around this past year too.

My only cons for this car are that it's pretty rough. Previous owner didn't take much care of it. MPG is pretty bad. My track beater gets better mileage. It's fun as hell though and has no problems hanging with way more expensive cars on the twistys.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/29/15 3:34 p.m.

I love mine, its a 2 door but id rather have the 4. That one looks well taken care of, and good price (assuming its not rusting to pieces underneath, but the header heat shield being intact like that is a good sign).

You will not be disappointed with the handling, performance, feel, etc when driving it. I've never driven a car that begs to be heel-toed like my SVT. Mine gets about 30 MPG on the highway, but around town is pretty awful for a car its size. (20-22 ish).

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Reader
7/29/15 4:02 p.m.

Rust is definitely a concern. I'm surprised that the gas mileage is that bad, but I don't really care much about that anyway.

Hal
Hal SuperDork
7/29/15 8:17 p.m.

Looks good
Maintenance is up to date
Price is right

Get it!

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
7/30/15 3:05 a.m.

I completed essentially the same maintenance items as the seller within the last year and a half. Totally transformed the car. I've had mine from 30k - 149k miles, and it still purrs along despite visiting the full tachometer range daily. That one looks like a well-maintained example. Parts are generally cheap.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
7/30/15 5:14 a.m.

I briefly shopped these when I needed a beater last year. Though they are a Focus, they area also one of those cars you want to buy a good example or risk spending a LOT of money on deferred maintenance. The complexity and expense of some repairs and common failure items turned me off to them and I just bought a Zetec powered POS plain Focus which has proven to be pretty cheap. Foci are cheap cars built to a price and it shows in the trim, rust prevention and the window regulators which you'll replace very soon as they are made of a material known as garbage. I'd consider the SVT version if I found one owned by an anal-retentive owner but not one that is a $2000 Craigslist nightmare.

CyberEric
CyberEric New Reader
7/30/15 12:19 p.m.

I have been looking for cars in this realm for a while and I like the idea of the Focus SVT. Have you considered the Matrix Xrs? 4 doors, more power, maybe less headache maintenance and still just as much fun. I haven't driven either, just researched both and those would be my top choices.

CyberEric
CyberEric New Reader
7/30/15 12:20 p.m.

I have been looking for cars in this realm for a while and I like the idea of the Focus SVT. That one looks really nice. Have you considered the Matrix Xrs? 4 doors, more power, maybe less headache maintenance and still just as much fun. I haven't driven either, just researched both and those would be my top choices.

rcutclif
7/30/15 12:37 p.m.
ddavidv wrote: I briefly shopped these when I needed a beater last year. Though they are a Focus, they area also one of those cars you want to buy a good example or risk spending a LOT of money on deferred maintenance. The complexity and expense of some repairs and common failure items turned me off to them and I just bought a Zetec powered POS plain Focus which has proven to be pretty cheap. Foci are cheap cars built to a price and it shows in the trim, rust prevention and the window regulators which you'll replace very soon as they are made of a material known as garbage. I'd consider the SVT version if I found one owned by an anal-retentive owner but not one that is a $2000 Craigslist nightmare.

Mine was a 'basketcase' that a mini dealer got in on trade with (they claimed) damage to basically all of the front passenger suspension, and check engine lights. I grabbed it from them for 1 dollar more than the auction house was offering the dealer. like 2700 bucks or something (back in 2010 I think). My buddy was a tech there so he gave me the tip.

I did a timing belt, wheel bearing, new knuckle and ball joint, hammered the wheel back to mostly straight, alignment, two new o2 sensors and it has been pretty much rock solid since. I did the clutch about a year later.

I've done a couple 'normal' focus fixes, like the plastic thermostat housing leak, valve cover gasket, etc. The one fix I did that required SVTF specific parts and they were NLA was the oil-to-water oil cooler. Good news is that a part off the 4 cylinder escape works with little fuss.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Reader
7/30/15 12:57 p.m.

Looks like I'm going to check it out on Sunday.

I've never considered a Matrix - I've driven one owned by my in-laws, and really was not a fan of the seating position. It was a "normal" Matrix, not the XRS, but it definitely turned me off the whole experience. Plus I don't love the crossover-ness of them in general.

Excited to drive it!

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 HalfDork
7/30/15 1:25 p.m.

They are really fun cars with lots of great usable interior space. If you need something to carry bigger stuff around in they do that very well.

If I was looking for an practical fun hatch it would be at the top of the list and if an SVT Focus is what you want that looks like the one to get.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/30/15 4:40 p.m.

That seems like a good car for that price, especially with the maintenance. 5 door SVTs are not as common as 3 doors. Your thermostat housing will leak at some point, and some parts are hard to find, but a good combo for the money. Regarding seat height, I actually like it and feel like other seats are too low now, you get used to it. BTW you have to fold the rear seat bottom out of the way to fully flatten the rear seats. Check for existence of traction control, I bought mine without TC since it is not completely defeatable.

I spend all day researching my next car, then I drive the SVT and can't think of any good reason to sell it. Not a monster off the line, but certainly entertaining.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
7/30/15 7:06 p.m.

Parts for the Getrag gearboxes aren't easy to come by.Be sure it shifts well.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
7/30/15 8:49 p.m.
GTwannaB wrote: I spend all day researching my next car, then I drive the SVT and can't think of any good reason to sell it. Not a monster off the line, but certainly entertaining.

This has been my life every day for a few years. After changing out the suspension for a stock refresh earlier this year, it drives better than ever.

There have been a few little things that have broken, but I have found mine to be an easy and forgiving car to work on.

*Note that my car has never spent time in the rust belt.

Scottah
Scottah Dork
7/31/15 7:31 p.m.

I'm torn when it comes to mine now that I DD it. It's getting old, with a lot of groans, creaks and rattles. This is after replacing the entire front suspension, control arms, bushings, tie rods, end links etc etc.

I'm not big on the Getrag. Gearing is odd. Can't quite put my finger on it.

On the other hand it handles so damn good. Has plenty of space.

ccrelan
ccrelan Reader
7/31/15 9:13 p.m.

I thought the shifter/trans stunk when I had my SVT 5 door. A short shift kit helped a little, but I never warmed up to the car. I much preferred the Mazdaspeed Protege to the SVT.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Reader
8/2/15 11:42 p.m.

And the verdict is...

It's obviously a very well maintained car. Drives great, no odd squeaks or rattles, exhaust sounds great. I don't love the shifter, but I'm confident everything is working as it should be.

The owner emailed me the oil analysis from his last 5 changes, as well as the analysis of the trans fluid from 10k ago. Everything looks good there. Comes with a bunch of spares and winter wheels/tires.

Oh, and the wife approves.

Think I'll make him an offer.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
8/3/15 5:06 a.m.

If the owner is having oil analysis done...I think his maintenance is probably pretty good.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Reader
8/11/15 2:05 p.m.

Update: This is now living in my driveway. Drove it in to work today. Pretty pleased with it in general, and I'm already looking for upgrades, though it will probably stay stock for at least a year before I start messing with it.

rcutclif
8/11/15 2:06 p.m.

Sweet!

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
8/11/15 2:20 p.m.

Loved mine, enjoy it.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Reader
8/11/15 2:38 p.m.

It occurred to me that my fleet now includes performance cars from the 80s, 90s and 2000s from Europe (e30), Japan (miata) and the US (focus).

My collection is slowly growing

92dxman
92dxman Dork
8/11/15 3:50 p.m.

Never drove one but seem like underrated cars from everything I gather/read.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e1ZTI0mHvYmpCHnGQ5OD6JY3nJeTQTOPnnVWrR3tu7OeuSCEzGxfBaUePemLntr8