thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/17/14 11:23 p.m.

So my girlfriend's grandpa has TWO FC-150s parked on his property. One's outdoors and one's in his barn. He swares they both run but I have my doubts.

Anyway, I'd like to help restore them but I know nothing about then, other than they're sorta rare and super cool. So please enlighten me

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
12/18/14 12:11 a.m.

Could be either a 4-Cyl or 6-Cyl engine. Three or four speed trans. There is also a three speed auto They are stout little buggers. Descent to work on, but like most FC front engined vehicles, a lot of engine work is done from the cab, so that could be a pain.

If you've never driven an FC before, it takes some getting used to.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
12/18/14 10:55 a.m.

All FC 150's were 4 cylinder. The FC 170 was 6 cylinder. The early 150's were built on the CJ5 chassis. they were later improved with wider axles and a better frame. The 150 also came with a counterweight bolted in the rear of the frame. No FC's came with an automatic. Actually, with the positioning of the engine, they were not difficult to work on.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
12/18/14 2:10 p.m.

In reply to iceracer:

That's right, 150s had the Hurricane-4 and the 170s had the Super Hurricane-6.

IIRC the Cruise-O-Matic came out in '58 as an optional trans. I could be wrong though.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/18/14 5:13 p.m.

forward controls are neat little jeeps. I often wondered what pickups would look like if the Big three had followed their lead

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/18/14 5:20 p.m.

there was a thread on one of the jeep forums that someone was restoring one and put a amc 360 in it. Also the counterweight is very necessary or it will lean very far forward under heavy braking.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/18/14 5:35 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: forward controls are neat little jeeps. I often wondered what pickups would look like if the Big three had followed their lead

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
12/18/14 5:38 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: In reply to iceracer: That's right, 150s had the Hurricane-4 and the 170s had the Super Hurricane-6. IIRC the Cruise-O-Matic came out in '58 as an optional trans. I could be wrong though.

Nope, no automatics until the "J" series got the "Hydramtic". It had been available in the cars earlier.

There was an FC 170 HD with manual four speed and dual rear wheels.

Woody
12/18/14 5:47 p.m.

There's an old FC 170 HD tow truck not too far from here.

Woody
12/18/14 5:51 p.m.

M678

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
12/18/14 5:52 p.m.

In reply to iceracer:

I did some research online and there is so much conflicting literature about the automatic only available on the 6 cylinder. Some says it had the automatic in the later 170s, some don't even speak of it.

The 150 plow truck I used to beat around in had a 3-speed. I miss that thing. It was a blast to drive.

carbon
carbon Dork
12/18/14 7:03 p.m.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
12/18/14 7:20 p.m.
Woody wrote: M678

My pants just got tighter.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/18/14 8:39 p.m.
carbon wrote:

That's just Jeep trolling fanboys with a concept they'll never build.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
12/19/14 11:17 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: In reply to iceracer: I did some research online and there is so much conflicting literature about the automatic only available on the 6 cylinder. Some says it had the automatic in the later 170s, some don't even speak of it. The 150 plow truck I used to beat around in had a 3-speed. I miss that thing. It was a blast to drive.

Possibly on an exerimental basis. Never offered for sale by JEEP.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
12/19/14 5:55 p.m.

OK, to clear this up.

In 1958 KW did some concept vehicles based on the FC 170. One of them had a V8 based on a Ford engine and a Ford O Matic transmission and a slightly longer wheel base. There also was a passenger van version.

Due to low sales none of these were ever produced.

This should clear up the mystery.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/14 8:14 p.m.
Woody wrote:
mad_machine wrote: forward controls are neat little jeeps. I often wondered what pickups would look like if the Big three had followed their lead

yes.. but they never went beyond that. Imagine a ford FC 150?

carbon
carbon Dork
12/19/14 10:59 p.m.
Mike wrote:
carbon wrote:
That's just Jeep trolling fanboys with a concept they'll never build.

That's why guys like us build our own.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/19/14 11:36 p.m.

I'm a jeep guy and want to like the FC. But can't really. Don't know why. They do not do well descending hills. The old timers who used them off road used to hang weight boxes under the bed.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/20/14 1:32 a.m.
carbon wrote:

Man, that thing is probably my favorite Jeep concept vehicle so far. It's funny, I half expected something like that when I first went to go look at those FC150s

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/20/14 9:10 a.m.

That concept is awesome. I have a love for Pinz, Volvo C303, and other military oddities..

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
12/20/14 11:05 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: I'm a jeep guy and want to like the FC. But can't really. Don't know why. They do not do well descending hills. The old timers who used them off road used to hang weight boxes under the bed. The 150 came with a heavy counterweight in the rear.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ymv3MPFqnQ2T4RCyJ29164KpsVcWEzESVMZ4S1zwmGuC48DZpF982PhVzYhv53Yi